Marlo Tilt Help

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
The first move in my Ambitious Card Routine is the Marlo Tilt, but I often have trouble with the angles, and often don't perform the trick to more than four people due to this. The rest of the routine is much more angle friendly, and it's a shame that I often don't perform it just because of the angles on the Marlo Tilt. I'm either looking for your guys's suggestions on the angles or a replacement control (like the bluff pass or something) that I could use to control a card second to the top with as little redundancy as possible. Thanks!

Jun 28, 2013
Try pointing it downward, what i mean by that is the deck is facing upward so the spectator sees the edge of the deck. and do the marlo tilt from the bottom. Hope this helps :D

Shawn Allison

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2012
If you're looking for a control to get the card second to the top, look at the Top Card Cover Pass by Jason England in the trick section. If you master it, I think it's almost the perfect replacement for the Marlo Tilt.

Hope that helps.

Feb 10, 2013
Joshua Jay has a lot of tips on bluff passes. I believe he has a download available at VanishingInc. I really like the dribble variation.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
If you're looking for a control to get the card second to the top, look at the Top Card Cover Pass by Jason England in the trick section. If you master it, I think it's almost the perfect replacement for the Marlo Tilt.

Hope that helps.

Right, I forgot about the Top Card Cover Pass! I'm pretty good with the pass, so I think I'll be able to learn it very quickly. Thanks!

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Try pointing it downward, what i mean by that is the deck is facing upward so the spectator sees the edge of the deck. and do the marlo tilt from the bottom. Hope this helps :D

That seems like it would work. I normally tilt the deck up for a lot of people, but tilting it down and angling it is better in every way. Thanks!

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I think the biggest misconception about the Tilt is the distance between the card and the deck. Even a small break of around half an inch (or even less) will work perfectly. Also, the smaller the distance, the better the angles. The bluff pass is more covered, but the Tilt might be a bit more convincing. Really, it's about personal style. And as good of a move as the top card cover pass is, it's a hell of a move that does the same thing the Tilt or bluff pass will do.

Apr 17, 2013
You have to understand how thick a deck of card really is and like wZEnigma said you can get by with a really small break. A deck is less than an inch thick.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
You have to understand how thick a deck of card really is and like wZEnigma said you can get by with a really small break. A deck is less than an inch thick.

I've never really had a problem with the size of the break, as I have that one down. It's mostly problematic when spectators view it from the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
That comes down to audience management.

I don't perform much, as I turn into a nervous wreck (although I did take the opportunity to perform for many people at my robotics competition where I wasn't doing anything for many hours), but I am a lot better now. This lack of experience leads me with barely any audience management skills, is there a good place I can learn how to manage audiences better? (the settings there were pretty ideal, as I performed all of my tricks on the bleacher set right below all of my spectators, so not much audience control was learned there). Thanks!

Apr 17, 2013
get drunk and perform in a bar.
best place to learn

Do not follow that advice.
Find the local ring of there is one. Check the IBM and SAM websites. Also find someplace like a nursing home or the children wing at a local hospital to volunteer as a performer. It really helps get over the jitters, and they are happy to see someone take interest in them.

The one thing that helped me a ton and was one of the smartest thing I ever did as a magician was I made friends with the Drama club in high school and college. I also have made friends with the local community theater group. You get to network with directors to help your act as well as picking up tips on how to over some stage fright. You will also meet people who can hep with your script writing as well.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I've never really had a problem with the size of the break, as I have that one done. It's mostly problematic when spectators view it from the sides.

Here is a very simple solution that Tommy Wonder and all of the higher ups would do when getting a break. Rather than holding the deck like your normally do, tilt the entire deck so that is the top half is facing to the right, now do the move and you will notice that people won't be able to see anything. Also, you can apply this same idea to regular breaks as well (Though Aaron Fisher would tell you to get a break when the deck is held down by your side out of sight)

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Here is a very simple solution that Tommy Wonder and all of the higher ups would do when getting a break. Rather than holding the deck like your normally do, tilt the entire deck so that is the top half is facing to the right, now do the move and you will notice that people won't be able to see anything. Also, you can apply this same idea to regular breaks as well (Though Aaron Fisher would tell you to get a break when the deck is held down by your side out of sight)

Cool, this seems like it would work.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results