Audience Control and Nerves

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I spend most of my free time practicing tricks by myself or in front of the TV, but I rarely show them to anybody except my dad or my closest friends for fear of being caught. I recently performed for some little kids that were clearly bored at a robotics competition I attended, and I learned much more than I did before, but I didn't have much skill to begin with as those kids were basically the first people I showed my tricks to. As a result of this, I have very little experience with audience control. Does anyone have any advice on how to learn about audience control that is feasible for a 14 year-old to accomplish(it seems unlikely that a freshman would be allowed to perform for people)? I would prefer free sources, or books that are old enough that they are available for free on the internet due to copyright expiration.

Thanks,
Peter.

Apr 26, 2011
to be honest, no book or video will ever be able how to manage your audience better than actually doing it yourself. the only way to get better is to actually perform for real people.

a 14 year old would absolutely be allowed to perform for people, IMO. you might want to start with strangers, who you will never meet again if you make a mistake, or start in a comfortable environment school, with your friends.

You really need to push yourself, jump in the deep end! I know it sounds scary, believe me i was terrified when i did my first trick to strangers, but its the best way and its free.

it's probably not the answer you're looking for, but in all honesty its the truth. you said it yourself, "I learned much more than I did before", imagine that but every time you perform.

Confidence is the key. if you know you are doing well, your audience will respond accordingly. if you act all shy and timid, you audience will not respond in the desired way. the way to build confidence it to perform. think of it like a muscle, the more times you exercise it, the bigger and stronger it will become.

if you don't have confidence at the start, fake it. no one will know :)

Yeah man, what ImSeeU said. The only way to get good at controlling your audience is going out and performing for as many people as you can in all different types of venues and settings. You're going to need to fall on your face a few times before you learn how to not do that.

Just Go Out and Perform.

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Hey Peter,

Glad to hear that you're getting out there and performing for people! I hope that it was a lot of fun. :)

As to audience management, it is a very tough thing to focus on this early in the game. A lot of audience management you can learn from just going out there and performing. Another thing I use a lot to my advantage is just being relaxed. Try not to convey a sense of urgency or tenseness. If you are nervous or tense, then a spectator can pick up on that. People have a hard time taking magic in the way we want them to experience it if your hands are shaking too violently for them to see that the coin has actually vanished (Not saying that you do that. I've just been there lol).

For example, every Friday I do one trick as many times as possible for as many people as possible. This benefits you in a lot of ways. For one, it gives you a lot more practice time on that particular trick and helps you get better at doing it. The more productive time you have with something, the more you will learn about it and understand the workings and everything behind the curtains that people don't think about right off the bat.

By doing that, we accomplish number two, which is making yourself more comfortable performing the trick. It helps you feel more confident in your own skill because, hey, your practicing the trick more often, and if your practicing and performing it correctly, chances are very likely that you're getting better at it.

A great number three, which I'm sure most will agree with, is you're getting performance time. That, in my opinion, is the best type of practice you can get. Yes, you are doing a good thing by practicing and then showing the magic to people you trust first. But once you are confident enough to show that magic to people outside your comfort zone, that is where you will get some good learnage.

Number four, which is definitely my steeze when it comes to doing magic, is that I can analyze the situation that has just occurred. I can see what played well and what didn't play well. What did they seem to like and what didn't they react to? Were my angles right? Did they seem happy? If they caught something (which will happen sooner or later, I promise. Don't worry, it's not as bad as you might think), why did they catch it? Did I flash? Did I not use good patter to compliment what was happening? There are so many questions you could ask yourself. Just doing that can help yourself learn to do magic "better" for spectators. If you apply what you've learned from past mistakes, you can continue working towards that "perfect" magic moment that we all strive to create.

Now I must say this. Seeing that you are 14 years old, I can almost bet you that if you continue to do magic for spectators, young and old, someone will not take you seriously. I don't know if that's happened to you already or if anyone has brought that to your attention, but it will happen. I think that anyone who has done magic as a teenager has dealt with that conundrum. That brings me to this point: It is more difficult to manage spectators if they think it is a joke or do not take you seriously. It will get easier as you get better and you get older, but it can be tough in certain situations. I must absolutely recommend performing as much as your heart can bear. It will help you get those nerves out, and it will help you look and feel much more confident in front of an audience. A sense of confidence and relaxation can really help spectators relate with you on a better level. Not to mention that it will help you learn how to control situations and how you want the magic to be perceived.

I hope my rant helps you in some way. I have no magicians in my town to hang with, so I've gotta get my thoughts on subjects out sometimes. In the future, please keep posting questions or PM me. I'd love to hear about how your performing goes and what you're working on! :D

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Wow, thanks for the response dbMagic. I could have never asked for more, and am really glad you took the time to write this out for me. I'll be sure to keep in contact. Also, when you talk about not being taken seriously, my rule of thumb is to show things to people around my same age or younger, and this will likely be the case until I'm at least a few years older. What adult wants to say no to a kid when he asks them if they want to see magic, after all? I generally approach people who want to see magic with my Ambitious Card Routine, which I have the most confidence in as I have practiced it the most (to the dismay of my now battered fingers from practicing the pass :) ). Generally, succeeding on the first trick helps me calm down enough to do the rest of my tricks. This Christmas, I'm asking for an invisible deck, which would serve as an opener that is super simple to keep me from getting nervous.

P.S. What I learned (and already sort of expected) from performing for little kids is that they are very nosy (in one case, in the Ambitious Card, I was doing the part where I bend the card and you see it pop to the top. I explained that I was "Going to give it a little bend" and the kid said "Oh, I'll bend it!" and began reaching over. I quickly passed the top card of the double to the bottom so he wouldn't see it, and he proceeded to bend it in half right down the middle... oh well). They will see your Marlo Tilt when they are watching you like a hawk from all sides if you aren't careful!

Last edited by a moderator:

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Thanks ImSeeU. You're right, I need to show magic to strangers more often, but I don't have much of an opportunity to do so. I find it a little awkward walking up to someone at school and asking if they want to see a trick, but will always do one if they ask me.

Apr 17, 2013
Find the local ring if there is one in your area. Check the IBM and SAM websites. Also find someplace like a nursing home or the children's wing at a local hospital to volunteer as a performer. It really helps get over the jitters, and they are happy to see someone take interest in them.

The one thing that helped me a ton and was one of the smartest thing I ever did as a magician was I made friends with the Drama club in high school and college. I also have made friends with the local community theater group. You get to network with directors to help your act as well as picking up tips on how to over some stage fright. You will also meet people who can hep with your script writing as well.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Find the local ring if there is one in your area. Check the IBM and SAM websites. Also find someplace like a nursing home or the children's wing at a local hospital to volunteer as a performer. It really helps get over the jitters, and they are happy to see someone take interest in them.

The one thing that helped me a ton and was one of the smartest thing I ever did as a magician was I made friends with the Drama club in high school and college. I also have made friends with the local community theater group. You get to network with directors to help your act as well as picking up tips on how to over some stage fright. You will also meet people who can hep with your script writing as well.

This seems like something I can try this summer!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results