Must Have Magic Books

Clay Elleby

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
What are some must have magic books that one should have? I have been into magic for 5 years and I mainly perform with cards but am open to all sorts of magic. Do you reccomend the Art of Astonishment series?

Sep 16, 2012
Israel
True Astonishments, Card College, Drawing Room Deceptions, EATCT, All of (or most) Darwin ortiz work is a must and The complete Walton.. Those, in my opinion are a must have

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So, so many.

I don't know if I've gotten a book yet I didn't think every serious student should have.

Tarbell
Mark Wilson's
Bobo's
Royal Road to Card Magic
Self-Working Mental Miracles
Card Control
Worlds Beyond
The Approach
Paper Engine
Sleight of Mind
Five Points in Magic
Expert at the Card Table ...

That's off the top of my head. Art of Astonishment is a great series.

Apr 17, 2013
The big Tarbell Book by Tarbell.
Royal Road to Card Magic, by Hugard & Braue.
Modern Coin Magic by Bobo.
Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks by James.
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Amateur Magician's Handbook by Hay
Magic and Showmanship by Nelms

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Having owned the Art of Astonishment books I would recommend them, however, they consolidated all of the works in to a series of DVD's which are full of great ideas.

Apr 17, 2013
If it is the TA set then it is called True Astonishment by Paul Harris and it's $300. All three books are like $135

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The big Tarbell Book by Tarbell.
Royal Road to Card Magic, by Hugard & Braue.
Modern Coin Magic by Bobo.
Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks by James.
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Amateur Magician's Handbook by Hay
Magic and Showmanship by Nelms

This is pretty darn close to what my list would like like when it comes to traditional magic. Those curious about Mentalism should check out my 6 part series @ E Forums "Re-Evaluating the Bilbe's of Mentalism" in that it's a big departure from the usual list we see and with good reason. Then again, Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps to Mentalism is probably as important if not more so.

I do not believe those moving into conventional magic need to know anything about Mentalism unless it appeals to them and they wish to move in that direction; Mentalism & Magic operate from conflicting psychological mechanism and when you treat Mentalism as you would a Magic trick you and your audience loose when it comes to the impact it could give you when approached properly. That said, I do believe that magician's should cultivate a handful of "Mental Magic" bits that they can do . . . "gags" for lack of a better term, such as Cellular Mitosis by Docc Hilform; bits that come off more as a "betchya" than psychic or an act of mental prowess (especially when you're younger).

If you are curious about Big Stage. . . you need the following;
The Darwin Book of Inexpensive Illusions
The Paul Osborne Compiled Books of Illusion Design
Everything from Jim Stinemeyer & Rand Woodbury
Though a bit dated the Sharps Encyclopedia series would also be a smart move; especially the book on Levitations & Suspensions and Pnuematics.

Apr 17, 2013
This is pretty darn close to what my list would like like when it comes to traditional magic.

This is the list I give to new magicians or parents of new magicians. The best part is if you buy one of them used one as a PDF and the rest paper back you are less than $100 for the most part but have a string solid base in magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results