Can I post a variation of an effect on the wire?

Oct 31, 2013
Charlotte N.C.
I really liked quantum by Justin Miller but I thought it wasnt powerful enough so I added a few things to it would I still be able to post my effect on the wire? It is by far my best card trick now after the haunted deck and it gets great reactions.

Sep 1, 2007
I really liked quantum by Justin Miller but I thought it wasnt powerful enough so I added a few things to it would I still be able to post my effect on the wire? It is by far my best card trick now after the haunted deck and it gets great reactions.

Can I add one or two cosmetic changes to your variation and sell it as original too?

Apr 17, 2013
if you just added one or two things to it then it is still his effect. When in doubt just watch this video.

[video=youtube;zWiF-SAp6G8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWiF-SAp6G8[/video]

Sep 1, 2007
thanks i will try to contact him and if i cant i just wont post it.

The loud whooshing noise you hear is my point sailing clear over your head. So let me blunt.

No. No, you will not contact Justin and you will not publish this. It is not original, it is a cosmetic variation on someone else's effect. You are nowhere near as experienced as you think you are and certainly not experienced enough to be selling effects. Aside from the fact that Justin would likely jam forks into his eyeballs before giving you permission to rip off his material, as ****ty as the Wire is it's still not ****ty enough to greenlight such a submission.

I know you didn't watch the video krab posted above, so I'm going to spell it out for you: adding variations does not an original effect make. Whoever told you otherwise is going to hell for lying.

Reactions: Justin-Miller
Apr 17, 2013
I know you didn't watch the video krab posted above, so I'm going to spell it out for you: adding variations does not an original effect make. Whoever told you otherwise is going to hell for lying.

Just think if they took the time to watch that and to listen to guys who have been doing this longer then they have been alive. Sure we don't know everything we know enough to know when we should shut up and listen. I think it would help a ton of the new guys would learn the same thing, just stop and listen.

Sep 1, 2007
Just think if they took the time to watch that and to listen to guys who have been doing this longer then they have been alive. Sure we don't know everything we know enough to know when we should shut up and listen. I think it would help a ton of the new guys would learn the same thing, just stop and listen.

If these dudes spent half as much time performing for audiences as they did on trying to dream up some half-baked knockoff to put on the Wire, mystery entertainment would be in a lot better shape right now. This attitude is contributing to the problem with the magic market.

Reactions: Justin-Miller

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Quantum is a very polished effect. I'm going to go ahead and say Justin Miller is more knowledgable about magic than you, and any "facelifts" you have for the effect are either too stupid to consider, or he has given them thought already and opted for his own method. For this reason, it is EXTREMELY difficult to make a significant and positive change to the effect.
It's really cool to se JM on this thread as well.

-Peter.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results