Bottom deal resources

Nov 11, 2013
What are some good resources to start learning how to bottom deal? What helped you the most? Strike vs push-off? Sorry about the long list of questions.
Thanks
-Adrian
P.S. I have pretty small hands, if that changes anything..? Anyhoo, reply!

Sep 2, 2007
London
What are some good resources to start learning how to bottom deal? What helped you the most? Strike vs push-off? Sorry about the long list of questions.
Thanks
-Adrian
P.S. I have pretty small hands, if that changes anything..? Anyhoo, reply!

In my opinion, there are two possible answers to this. It depends on what your goal is. Do you want to become an expert in the bottom deal or do you just want to learn how to execute one to a reasonably deceptive standard?

Sep 16, 2012
Israel
The bottom deal is pretty complicated because of the fact that there are soo many handlings, grips and so on.
I believe that your first step for learning this "move" should be to look at Jason England's download here on T11. his teaching is beyond superb and will help you greatly. After you've learned from him you can search for Daniel Madison's "How to cheat at cards" and his DVD, Ed marlo's RCT, Richard Turner and the list goes on and on..

But I believe that one of the best sources out there on any deceptive technique and method is, without a doubt, "The Expert at the Card Table" by S.W.E

Nov 11, 2013
In my opinion, there are two possible answers to this. It depends on what your goal is. Do you want to become an expert in the bottom deal or do you just want to learn how to execute one to a reasonably deceptive standard?

I'm not sure. I would like to perform a bottom deal when it's reasonable deceptive then practice it until I'm an expert. By the way I've heard that gene maze's book is good?

Sep 2, 2007
London
I'm not sure. I would like to perform a bottom deal when it's reasonable deceptive then practice it until I'm an expert. By the way I've heard that gene maze's book is good?

It is! You heard correctly. My advice would be to study these resources in this order:

1. Jason England - The Bottom Deal download. This will give you all you need to get started and enough knowledge to start developing a bottom deal technique that suits you. To be honest, you could stop here, as you could easily spend the next ten years mastering the minutiae of the ideas Jason teaches. But, if you want to go further and immerse yourself in the world of bottom deals then read on.

2. Allan Ackerman - Advanced Card Control Volume 2 DVD. This teaches a wide variety of false deals, mainly from the pages of Marlo's Seconds, Centers and Bottoms, and is useful to give you an additional perspective and some more unusual techniques.

3. S W Erdnase - The Expert at the Card Table book. I love Erdnase, but I've deliberately put him this far down the list as the bottom deal technique he teaches isn't the easiest for the small-handed amongst us to pick up (despite the author probably having smaller hands himself). If you've already learned from Jason and Allan, though, you'll have a headstart and won't find the Erdnase technique as frustrating as you otherwise might.

4. Richard Turner - The Cheat: Best of the Bottoms DVDs. Richard has some techniques and thinking all of his own, and executes them flawlessly. This will take you even further down the bottom deal rabbit-hole.

5. Steve Forte - The Gambling Protection Series DVDs. Less a teaching tool than a demonstration and protection aid, this will give you something to aspire towards and whet your appetite to become a true master. Either that or demoralise you completely when you compare your skill to Mr Forte's, so thats why I've left this until now on the list!

6. Gene Maze - The Art of Bottom Dealing book. I think that, pound for pound, this might be the best resource on bottom dealing around, but I don't necessarily think it's a beginners book. If you've been working through this list, though, this is where I think you'll find it most beneficial.

There are loads more bottom deal resources but if you get this far down the list, I doubt you'll need anyone's guidance as to where to go next!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't have any more resources to add to this - That list is pretty extensive. I just have a bit of advice from my own experience.

It will take time to get decent at a bottom deal. It's a knacky move with a lot of subtleties that are necessary to really hide it. You get a deal that will fly for magic work, but wouldn't ever work for a table if you want. But if you really want an invisible bottom deal you'll need to practice for years probably. One thing I've heard which I entirely agree with is not to practice your deal in isolation. Keep the same grip for all deals, and then practice all deals in the same session. By this I mean, get yourself a nice big practice area and deal top, second, bottom, greek, middle, second, greek, bottom, top, etc. so that they all flow together. This will help you maintain a consistent rhythm when false dealing and fair dealing. Rhythm being one of the biggest give-aways in my experience.

Nov 11, 2013
It is! You heard correctly. My advice would be to study these resources in this order:

1. Jason England - The Bottom Deal download. This will give you all you need to get started and enough knowledge to start developing a bottom deal technique that suits you. To be honest, you could stop here, as you could easily spend the next ten years mastering the minutiae of the ideas Jason teaches. But, if you want to go further and immerse yourself in the world of bottom deals then read on.

2. Allan Ackerman - Advanced Card Control Volume 2 DVD. This teaches a wide variety of false deals, mainly from the pages of Marlo's Seconds, Centers and Bottoms, and is useful to give you an additional perspective and some more unusual techniques.

3. S W Erdnase - The Expert at the Card Table book. I love Erdnase, but I've deliberately put him this far down the list as the bottom deal technique he teaches isn't the easiest for the small-handed amongst us to pick up (despite the author probably having smaller hands himself). If you've already learned from Jason and Allan, though, you'll have a headstart and won't find the Erdnase technique as frustrating as you otherwise might.

4. Richard Turner - The Cheat: Best of the Bottoms DVDs. Richard has some techniques and thinking all of his own, and executes them flawlessly. This will take you even further down the bottom deal rabbit-hole.

5. Steve Forte - The Gambling Protection Series DVDs. Less a teaching tool than a demonstration and protection aid, this will give you something to aspire towards and whet your appetite to become a true master. Either that or demoralise you completely when you compare your skill to Mr Forte's, so thats why I've left this until now on the list!

6. Gene Maze - The Art of Bottom Dealing book. I think that, pound for pound, this might be the best resource on bottom dealing around, but I don't necessarily think it's a beginners book. If you've been working through this list, though, this is where I think you'll find it most beneficial.

There are loads more bottom deal resources but if you get this far down the list, I doubt you'll need anyone's guidance as to where to go next!

Thanks for the advice. It's going to take a hell of a long time though :). It'll be worth it. After some practice, maybe I'll post some videos on here.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results