Tablehopping experiences

Dec 10, 2008
Hey Phillip I wanted to say that the effects you have in your set already are all extremely good walk around effects. Some i've used more than others. What you call the Manhattan opener or Chicago opener is excellent for a walk around magician.
Although this trick becomes just another card trick without the right patter and social interaction.
For example you can perform it under the premise of a murder(red back blue deck) and have the spectator shoot the card (you can get a lot of bad aim jokes in), if its a female maybe have her blow a kiss.
Through my experience I've learned the effect can be compelling but if the performer isn't it doesn't matter. A walk around performance is exactly what it's called a performance not a teaser. I openly invite people to come watch me perform at a different table.
This is dependent on the nature of my performing which is now in a freestyle manner.
I don't like to feel limited in effects and capability. I have to suggest coin magic as much as I can it's visual, quick and extremely versatile. Eric Jones is very good for smooth fluid coin magic and I even use his Oxy Clean coin routine but that requires a gimmick.
There are many different materials on coins David Roth is the greatest he has videos and books but i would always suggest books over video.
That might just be my opinion but I can't help but to find books superior.
A good coins across routine will draw some of the greatest reactions you have ever gotten and fans that are hungry for more.
I worked a restaurant and bar one night and a rather buzzed woman tipped me 20 dollars to perform the coins across I had just performed for her again for the bartender and her friend who had just came back from God knows where. I then proceeded to perform a coin matrix just to mix it up and succeeded to amaze all of them and then received another 5 dollar tip.
Coin magic is great if your working tables especially for tip, I think just the idea of money in their mind from the coins helps the generosity flow. A good line for tips is "The more you give the better I live" I don't know who to credit that to but its great and really works.
Sponge balls are just like coins, if you can do coin magic you can do sponge magic.
Don't be afraid to have cards like some would want you to be sometimes the best way to get a good reaction is from someone who doesn't expect something amazing to happen.
Its not about what you use it's how you use it. The theatrics. I personally am not afraid to whip out my deck at a table but if you are I would suggest some mentalism. Mentalism can go well with the invisible deck routine also.
I've been doing this table hopping thing for a while it took some time for me to find my character but when i did it got a lot easier and more entertaining. That helped me to realize its about theatrics, the performer. Darwin Ortiz Is one of the greatest artists I've seen but every time I watch his videos or performances on youtube It's like he's lulling you to sleep. No disrespect intended I've seen him perform in person and it was much more compelling. Nobody wants to watch a detached magician perform tricks like a robot with pre rehearsed lines and no naturalness whatsoever and i've seen it, I was one. Honestly I have colleagues that can perform for me and maybe perform harder sleights than myself but when it gets to performing I clearly outshine due to my character and charisma. Thats truly why I love Bill Malone and believe Juan Tamirez is so highly regarded today.
All you need to do is expand your repertoire to what your comfortable with I'd say if you have five now, just expand that to about 10-12 for versatility you can get at least 3 effects from coins and two more to mix it up.
I think rubber band magic is great i remember doing crazy mans handcuffs and any linking routines i could find to go with it best, I love the Marcus Eddie routine. I used it myself for a long time extremely visual.
Once you have 10-12 effects down pat as well and natural as you can perform them try them out on people the best way for me to develop my own patter is what I make up while performing because that's what comes most natural and thats one of the keys naturalness.
I hope at least one of these sentences helped you I know there are a lot of them but to sum it up start coin magic its great for table hopping, work diligently on your theatrics, the practice will help you find you natural attitude, actions, sayings, mannerisms,jokes, etc. Best wishes Phillip and I have to say you already have a nice little set put together I have faith in you to become the best performer you can be because thats what it's about performing not just 'doing magic'.

Apr 17, 2013
Might want to break that down from wall o text to something someone would take time to read. I think i saw something about inviting people to leave their table and come to another table where others are sitting table to watch you work. Like i said it is really hard to read. In a restaurant i would never ask people to leave their table and invade the space of another dinner.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Might want to break that down from wall o text to something someone would take time to read. I think i saw something about inviting people to leave their table and come to another table where others are sitting table to watch you work. Like i said it is really hard to read. In a restaurant i would never ask people to leave their table and invade the space of another dinner.

All I got from his post was this.

[video=youtube;qWh_MUTXGKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWh_MUTXGKU[/video]

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hello my friends,

its time to pop this thread up again as I am willing to share some important insights and experiences for me with you that I made yesterday in a restaurant. It was a relatively good evening but I had two meaningful experiences. Before I start off let me state that only 4 to 5 tables have been bad ones that evening which was merely owed to a part of me and to most of the times to the spectators but The first one was the last table I made. It was a table with 15 people and in this room were 2 other table which belonged to the group but I didn't know about that until I started. The problem with 30 people is they sat so bad that only the 15 people could see my tricks like sponge balls, acr, standup monte and a coin bend. I really went under at that table and it wasn't the best finish for an evening like that. What I say is that don't show small tricks for big groups when they can't see everything, it's worthless and you dont gain anything. The second thing I notices is that I started to perform solely my ACR, Standup Monte and a sponge ball trick. I rarely went back to 5for1 or my ID and even my Manhattan Opener which is weird because these two tricks (ID & Manhattan Opener) always were ones of my favourite tricks. So essentially I am saying that I am starting to perform tricks that don't have a reset and this is:
-Sponge balls
-5for1
-ACR + Pointless (I let them sign the card with the gimmick pen so they can see the pen is normal and then I show them the trick with the pen before I move along to my ACR which btw received nearly as good reactions as Standup Monte.)
-Coinbend
-Standup Monte
I stopped doing:
Manhattan Opener
ID
Also I want to add a whole spongeball routine to my repertoire as the sponge ball trick is only a 2 ball load in the spectators hands and atm I am learning a rope routine which is great for larger audiences.
Some last things I want to add:
1. Never go in with an attitude - this evening I am setting a new record for tips. I did that and it made the attitude for that evening crappy.
2. Sometimes there are some idiots that make the table laugh but as soon as they aren't the center of attention they start to ruin your tricks which weakens the reactions of the other members at those tables.
3. Nothing is better than a souvenir for the spectators :)

I will perform again this evening and tomorrow I will send you some more experiences and lessons learned.
BTW I am planning on getting the Poker Test and Deluxe Nest of Wallets. Do you have a recommendation for a great restaurant effect but without a reset and no cards?

Cheers
Philipp

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
I feel like you keep blaming the audience when things don't go perfect. You said that they "sat so bad that they couldn't see it all" and "sometimes there are some idiots that make the table laugh". You need to connect with the audience by just talking to them also. It's not only about the tricks that you are doing. It's okay for someone to make everyone laugh. Aren't you trying to give them a fun time? If not, I would re-evaluate what you are there for.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You have way too many routines and effects. Really all you need is 3 or 6 MAX. 1 short coin routine, 1 short sponge ball routine and maybe one short card effect. Though If I were you I would look for things that are simple and super direct. Card to Wallet, maybe a coins to pocket routine and a simple sponge ball routine. You need to treat your table hopping stuff less like a full on show and more like a teaser trailer. Make them feel like if they want to see more, they can book you later.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Helo my friends,

let me share with you my experiences and answer your concerns. I can easily say that, also I did not many tips, that it was the best evening I've ever had which occured because of the following reasons:
1. I went into the evening with the mindset that I do the magis to entertain them, not for tips. Also I introduced myself with a big smile and a "Wonderful Good Evening." followed by a "You seem to be a fun group." Smiling works wonders.
2. I didn't have staight sets. I improvised (order of tricks). When I arrived at a table and I started doing a Manhattan Opener and then 3 kids stood around me I would follow up with a sponge ball routine. Improvised means that I varied the order of the tricks in my sets, e.g. I would finish with a coin bend when someone mentioned Uri Geller or I finished my set with my ACR instead of the ID. Another important thing that occured to me I had wonderful tabled, not a single one wasn't in the right mood so it was a pleasure to work there.
Lessons learned:
A smile and a mindset is important.
Now I will answer your concerns:
@hudson
I am the last one that leaves the tabled without laughter. What I referred to was a heckler and that ruins the table for me as I don't have enough experience to handle with them. I just ignore them but I am working with other artists and they are quick-witted. I think this will come with experience. As I already mentioned in my other post was the group where everyone couldn't see good my fault. I realized that too late. Happens, i learned of it :).
@randy
Yes, you're right, I have too many tricks but that is because I am feeling so good with cards atm and I am trying to implement new magic trick into my sets and thats the reason why I have them. Also I just have some tricks for special guests so I usually keep the coin bend for special guests and I do ID for bigger tables, ACRs for those who want to know how the tricks work ("I will show you how every card trick in the world works, with control...)
Here is my planned list:
-Rope Routine
-Sponge Ball Routine
-Ring Routine and finish with Deluxe Nest of Wallets
-Poker Test
-Standup Monte
-ACR
I am not able to do coin magic and it is senseless to implement them right now. I also have some rubberband magic with me but I think, personally, it doesn't get as good reactions as the others above :), it's just me.
I think Manhattan Opener will continue to be in my set but only for special reasons like a ID for VIPs.

I hope I could answer all youre questions.
Let me know what you think and Cheers
Philipp

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
Ok thank you for clearing that up, I had the wrong picture in my head :)

(-Rope Routine
-Sponge Ball Routine
-Poker Test
-Standup Monte
-ACR

This whole list isn't going to be one routine is it?

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Ok thank you for clearing that up, I had the wrong picture in my head :)

(-Rope Routine
-Sponge Ball Routine
-Poker Test
-Standup Monte
-ACR

This whole list isn't going to be one routine is it?

Sure, all these tricks flow together so perfectly, that has to be one routine. ;)

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
Even if they flow together well (Poker Test really doesn't fit that well with the sponge balls and rope) that is WAY to long for a restaurant routine. Your restaurant routines need to be around 5-7 minutes long) Maybe you could split that one up into two different routines? My restaurant routines are 3 sets of 3 different effects that all reset instantly except for one which takes about two seconds.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results