what do you learn from watching david blaine?

Apr 17, 2013
I learn which effects I need to drop from my strolling sets. there are a few reasons.
A) I don't want to be compared with Blaine.
B) I know that the youtube "teachers" will be exposing the effects that Blaine did on his special.
C) I know that most kids will be doing the effects that they can find from the special the next day.

Apr 1, 2009
California
What David taught me is one of my most profound lessons in the art. Something I've struggled with for a while, and that was a realistic means for presenting. Now, I'm not saying that I would copy him. But, watching what he does, what he's said, along with Paul Harris, I've really found the beauty in presenting the effect simply as it is. Introducing the effect to the audience as something interesting, rather than a miracle. Let them make their own conclusions. And to not be afraid to introduce the creators of the effects to your audience. When you create a real atmosphere around your effect, much as you would a song if you were a musician, the audience is much less likely to try and stump you, because you don't come and step on this pedestal subtly saying, "Look at why I'm better than you." Giving them a challenge to say that you aren't better and they know just as much as you, if not more. To give true credit to Mr. Blaine, is not to recognize him for his simple presentation, "look." "Watch." Because it is so much more than that, that I really wish everyone would take from what he does. He makes what he does believable. Not to stay on a spiel. But what's different about watching him, from other television magicians, is that you can see a history to what he does. You can see the practice he put into it. You can see the research. You can see the many mentors he's had in his life and how it's impacted him. Plus, as an apparent well read and well versed man, something worth taking away from him, is how interesting he must be, even if he weren't to show you one effect.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
a) Nothing
b) None

You can't learn a single thing from one of the most successful magicians in the world currently?

How sad.

For me - I grew up with magic being full of glitter spandex, big boxes, and exotic animals/ladies. It never interested me until Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants aired on HBO. That showed me that magic didn't have to be grand illusion. Then David Blaine showed me magic didn't even have to be on a stage. It could be up close and personal with seemingly normal objects.

His style taught me that connecting to the audience is the most important thing.

He also taught me that someone can actually make a real career out of this if they are good.

I don't have a favorite effect, though.

Nov 26, 2013
When I was little, I used to think to be a magician you had to have a stage, assistants, and lots of money to spend for various things. David Blaine introduced me to the idea of street magic, which I have grown to love. He showed me to do magic, you didn't need a stage, or tons of money, all you needed was yourself, and I thank him for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2013
In all honesty, yes. I also find it in no way sad. He has nothing that I find to be of influence to me, I don't like his way of handling audiences, his presence is lacking emotion. I don't perform professionally, I don't enjoy performing either. I mearly practice Hanging Coins and criticize others. I give nothing to this conversation and you taking the time to respond to me was wasted incredibly. I do not criticizes Mr. Blaine style, yet I will most definitely never learn anything from him.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
In all honesty, yes. I also find it in no way sad. He has nothing that I find to be of influence to me, I don't like his way of handling audiences, his presence is lacking emotion. I don't perform professionally, I don't enjoy performing either. I mearly practice Hanging Coins and criticize others. I give nothing to this conversation and you taking the time to respond to me was wasted incredibly. I do not criticizes Mr. Blaine style, yet I will most definitely never learn anything from him.

Then why bother posting at all?

Jun 13, 2013
as i began learning magic i always saw David as this emotionless person who only did cheap tricks or it was all staged. but gaining my maturity in magic i see that this man is a master of this art. take a look at most magicians. (including myself) theyre all happy and funny people whom brighten your day or just make you laugh. you want them around because of these things. but from my experience in this art ive come to notice that Davids magic is simply mysterious, and can scare the crap out of his spectators. by doing a trick as simple as the bite out quarter, his audience gets extremely freaked out. the reasoning for this is his image. his persona. this scary mysterious character who anyone will remember. he has superb acting! magic isnt just about learning these moves and preforming them to people. its mostly about acting! you can be the greatest card handler in the world... but if you cant act. your spectators will only grow bored while watching a blur of cards flash before them. so what i learn by watching the David Blaine specials is that your character is everything for a magician.

my favorite trick of Davids (which i preform as much as possible) would have to be the psychic connections in his latest special.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results