T.G. Murphy deck flip Help

Oct 31, 2013
Charlotte N.C.
I am working on the T.G. Murphy deck flip but when I practice one card always flies out of the deck. I know that practice makes permanent and I don't want to practice this wrong. Please give me advice on how to get this move right.

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
I had that problem before. But I figured out that I was flicking my finger out too fast. The T.G. deck flip is something very settle. You don't have to fling your finger out as hard as possible lol try doing it slower and see if that helps :D

Nov 24, 2013
I have trouble with the deck flip period. I may not be learning it right but all the cards just go everywhere. It's not on the top of my list of stuff to practice but every once and a while I attempt it. And sorry for the totally non helpful post.

Jul 1, 2013
just keep practicing and try to use a newer deck that doesn't have pockets where air can come in. I took me a while and it happens still

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I have a feeling you are pushing to hard. The object is not to push up with the first finger until the other fingers slip off the deck, but it is to push up lightly with your first finger and your other fingers extend completely.

Aug 24, 2013
Maine, USA
This happened to me all the time and I got really frustrated with it. I noticed that my thumb was over the deck too much and that I had my middle, ring, and pinky fingers over the deck. In D&D's The Trilogy, he had only his middle finger around the deck and his thumb was more along side the edge instead of over the whole deck. I would suggest keeping only your middle finger over the deck and your thumb along side of it but still on top of the deck. I also jerk my hand up a little bit when I perform the move. Not too hard but just a little. Also, make sure your first finger is curled under the deck and doesn't flick out too hard. Using a new deck would also help.

It took me a lot of practice, but I love the Deck flip now. I disagree with a lot of the comments here. I find a newer deck is a lot harder to flip than a broken in one. I have also found that you don't need to toss your hand at all (it looks more magical this way too) Here's a couple of pointers that helped me.

Practice with the cards in the box first. I did this for at least 2 months. It gets you comfortable with the move.
Then use an old sticky deck. That way the cards stick together and won't have a tendency to fly everywhere.
Once you feel comfortable with a sticky deck, move onto a regular deck. Just put a little but of a bridge/bend in it to help the cards stay together.

As far as the actual technique itself, make sure your ring an pinky fingers are out of the way. I find I use the edge of my thumb knuckle, instead of the tip. If I was to simplify the explanation, all you really need to do once you've applied enough pressure with you index finger is let go with your middle finger, and then open your hand to catch it.

Hopefully some of this helps.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
It all depends on how worn in our old deck is. If you have sweaty hands and the cards are sticking together, it will be easier. However, if you have an old deck without as much stickyness, it is much more likely for air to get under the cards, causing the top couple to fly off. I find that often the top card flies off if I try to spin the deck 360 degrees or more, and I figured out that it helps if you sort of toss the deck in the air in order for this to be compensated for.

Dec 23, 2016
I had this problem - I could do it consistently, but every single time a card would shoot out from the bottom. With suggestions from this forum and a lot of experimentation, I found the right combination, thanks everyone.
It can be complicated to solve because there are many variables. You have to make an adjustment or a few adjustments in places you may not have considered, and then making an adjustment in one place may mean that you need to make an adjustment in another place to balance it.
Definitely do the flicking slowly, like venom said, this is an extremely good point. Also make sure your fingers are in the right places (this could vary based on your hand structure) as well as experiment with different variations of pressure in the various spots. I think all of that's been said.

One thing I would add as a possible point to change and observe is the direction in which the index finger is applying pressure from underneath. A very small shift in the direction of the pressure from underneath could create a big change. Start by trying to apply the pressure just 1 or 2 degrees more towards your flicking hand.

Reactions: faizpardesi
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results