Cardistry

Aug 24, 2013
Maine, USA
So, I've been into flourishing for about 6+ months and I noticed that I can't do any of the flourishes I know fast. I have been into magic for a while and know some flashy moves that aren't difficult. I have The Trilogy and I know most of the flourishes, but when I perform them, I am quite slow and cant seem to get faster. I see people like Dan and Dave, Andrei Jikh, Dimitri Arleri, and many others just sitting around not looking at their hands doing amazing things and doing them fast and smooth like they're not even trying. I understand that you need to practice and these people practice a lot, but is everyone still slow at cardistry after 6+ months. I don't know if I just don't get it or I need to practice a lot more. I practice a lot everyday on the same flourishes, but I can't get faster. I can do easy to intermediate flourishes fast but not long complex ones that have many phases. I can do all the phases, but not fast. I also see kids that are like 14 doing crazy flourishes but I am 21 and can't seem to get faster. Is everyone like this, or do I not get it?

Aug 5, 2012
Colorado
I used to struggle with the same thing. Everyone varies in dexterity, which you need to consider. So when you see 15 year old kids doing crazy fast moves, it's either because of one or two things: Either they practice numerous hours out of the day to achieve it, or they were born with very good dexterity. This is never the answer one wants to hear, but the answer is practice. Persist and don't stop; I promise you will get there, you just have to develop basic skills and muscle memory. Over time, when you're learning new moves, it will take less and less time to pick them up because your hands will have developed skill, dexterity and flexibility.

Apr 14, 2013
Brazil
I agree with MasterMagician88. But I'd like to add one thing that Andrei Jikh says in Genesis V.1 That helped me a lot: Sometimes, when you're learning new flourishes you tend to hold the deck tight and heavy. That's not good, you should always try to hold the cards in a natural loose fashion. This way your flourishes look smoother and nicer overall. It takes a while to get used to this 'new' holding style but it's worth it.

I'd like to say again something MasterMagician88 told you: Muscle Memory. That's key! Just practise slow and in the right way and speed will build up. Don't try to rush into speed!

Aug 13, 2013
I think everyone, when just starting, gets in to the habit of trying to learn loads of flourishes without getting smooth at any of them; if I were you, I'd practise just a few moves you like and get good at them before moving on.
6 months is no where near enough time to get good at most of the flourishes on the trilogy; just practise one or two at a time, and you will progress so much faster ☺

May 17, 2013
annapolis maryland
cardistry takes time, no doubt, it took me 2 weeks to learn charlier.
a couple tips i would say is get use to the deck in your hands, keep your hands warm,
and each deck is made differently, so see which decks are go for what.

i would say if your a 2 handed cut guy then the aladdin decks are best
if your a flashy guy then monarchs, artisans, rebels and bicycle 808(the kind with the design on the back of the box) is best for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results