Cruise Ships

Feb 10, 2013
I have heard quite a few magicians talk about working cruises, and now I am curious about it. For those of you who have or do work on cruise lines, could you fill me in as to what one might expect for pay, as well as how to get started in the business?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
If you're basically new to the biz and unproven don't expect big pay and too, it depends on what they want you to do i.e. close-up/strolling or part of a stage program (for which you need an act; the more novel your act the bigger $$$s they pay). You will need to create a very polished web presence as well as a printable press kit with photos, video links, etc. in order for the talent buyer to review your work. . . all in all, we're talking at least a year to prepare just to make a good pitch. Again, the more experience you have the more VIP & corporate client quotes you can cite that give you a positive image, the better.

It's been years since I've worked this market and even then it was with smaller cruise companies which is the best place for you to start and yes, that would include localized companies that run party or diner barges, river boats, and evening or even weekend cruise packages. It's a bit late in the season for some of these companies, many of them schedule talent at least 3 months in advance, but it might be worth approaching those accessible to you just for the sake of getting experience working on a moving vessel; it will look good on your resume regardless but nautical companies like to see that kind of growing background, it means you're focused on their industry.

Understand that the talent gets cramped quarters and not exactly the greatest of treatment with certain companies and more than not, you will be restricted on prop size and types in that you must keep the show in your cabin. . . or so it was back in the 80s when I did this kind of work.

Best of luck

Feb 10, 2013
After reading all that, it leaves me to question whether or not it is truly worth the time and effort. I am seeing more cons that pros as it is right now, but what do you think? Is it worth in the end?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results