Total Beginner - Where to Start

Mar 30, 2014
Hi All.

Im completely new to card magic and am really interested in card tricks. Im not sure where to start.

I assume I will need some basic practice first before really being able to watch tutorials and learn from them.

Are there basic routines I should learn and practice first (to build a foundation) before going into actual tricks?

Im very interested in the following and not sure if these are gambling moves and card-table tricks or whatnot.

• Sleights of hand
  • Bottom Dealing
  • False Shuffle
  • Riffle stacking
  • Miller Cascade Control
  • Classic, Invisible, and Riffle Pass
  • Double lifts

Thoughts and feedback is greatly appreciated.

It all started with a surprise gift of several Ellusionist decks (LTD Purple, LTD Blue, Artifice Green, Artifice Blue and a few others). Do I have the right cards at least?

Thank you,

Igor

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Royal Road and Expert Card Technique are both excellent books. I'd also recommend taking a look at the Card College series by Roberto Giobbi...

Nov 24, 2013
For card magic definitely get the Royal Road to Card Magic anyone in magic will tell you that one I promise. For gambling moves I suggest you get Foundations by Jason England that can be found on this website.

Mar 30, 2014
Thank you both. I have seen these mentioned before.

Any particular moves that I can practice or learn as a foundation? or just read and learn and repeat?

I just keep thinking in learning the basics as you do with many other things (languages, musical instruments, etc..) which is why i keep asking if there are any basic moves to train my fingers and arm/hand muscles.

: )

Igor

Feb 18, 2014
Definitely start off with royal road and then move up to expert card technique. Then get the magicians bible- Expert at the Card Table.

DONT- learn the pass first or bottom dealing. Especially bottom dealing which takes years to perfect. Don't learn any pass yet. Riffle Stacking is extremely difficult and is for the high intermediate and advanced, not for beginners. The cascade is quite hard and for intermediate not beginners. Learn the overhand shuffle and other sleights, you cant start with hard things because they expect you to know the foundations and dont teach the moves, eg, if they say put the card into a gambler's cop, they aren't going to teach it, you are expected to know it. So, that being said, learn the basics first, which aren't so basic, I learned that the hard way....

Mar 30, 2014
Definitely start off with royal road and then move up to expert card technique. Then get the magicians bible- Expert at the Card Table.

DONT- learn the pass first or bottom dealing. Especially bottom dealing which takes years to perfect. Don't learn any pass yet. Riffle Stacking is extremely difficult and is for the high intermediate and advanced, not for beginners. The cascade is quite hard and for intermediate not beginners. Learn the overhand shuffle and other sleights, you cant start with hard things because they expect you to know the foundations and dont teach the moves, eg, if they say put the card into a gambler's cop, they aren't going to teach it, you are expected to know it. So, that being said, learn the basics first, which aren't so basic, I learned that the hard way....

Thats EXACTLY why I posted here. Where do I start and how to build up. Much appreciated with the DONT's. Ill get the books today. Thank you ALL!

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Any particular moves that I can practice or learn as a foundation? or just read and learn and repeat?
I'd suggest sticking to the structure that Royal Road presents you. So the first thing you'll learn is the overhand shuffle and the various ways to use it for controlling cards.
Especially if you're just starting out, pay attention to the positioning of each finger. Nothing more annoying than to do a move the wrong way for years. Getting bad habbits out of your card handling can be quite frustrating, trust me.

Nov 24, 2013
I agree with Joey, not only do you learn basic sleights from the royal road but you also get an arsenal of foundation tricks that modern tricks are based off of. It's good that you are doing your study before learning anything, I wish I had done that when I started instead of having a disadvantage in magic in general. Some advise I can give you is don't buy all these new tricks that you see advertised, you need to learn the utilities and also don't go off and try to learn 10 tricks at once just stick with three tricks and practice them until you're the best in the world at them. That alone will get you far.

Reactions: PerryA
Mar 30, 2014
Thank you both! Just ordered the 2 books. That should keep my busy for sometime. Really glad I reached out to the support group here rather than going on a while shopping spree just to be disappointed because i couldn't even shuffle.

Apr 17, 2013
I would also get either the Mark Wilson Book or the Tarbell book, not the eight volume set but the big book. This way you get an over all foundation in magic.

Mar 9, 2014
I've been going through Royal Road to Card Magic for about 8 months so here's my tips overall in your endeavor to learn card magic.

1. Buy only bicycle cards decks. No sense spending loads of cash on decks that will quickly get worn out just practicing the basics. If you want to splurge, get some nice Tally-Ho's. When I get better (I realize that's subjective) I may get something nicer, but to be honest, people may suspect something fishy outside of Tally-Ho's, Bees, and Bicycles.

2. Definitely like the others above recommend the Royal Road to Card Magic. Of KEY importance is NOT to advance to the next chapter until you REALLY can do the slights etc. listed. I'm still stuck on p***ing after two months. I did purchase the DVD companion to this from Paul R Wilson but I read AND watch. Love the DVD.

3. I would re-iterate the value of FOCUS. There is a GLUT of information and materials all over the place. IGNORE it all and focus on the ONE book and getting better.

4. When practicing a slight, do it for a while very very slowly while watching yourself and making sure it's done right. Long sessions doing a slight incorrectly only prevents further advancement. When you're better and know it's done right, then start doing the slight without looking at your hands. Then don't look at your hands and check yourself in a mirror. Then don't look and rehearse your patter (as your shuffling etc.).

5. I would encourage to practice short amounts every day vs. a long time away, then hours at a time. It's like meals, don't gorge yourself and then starve yourself.

6. There's a great free theory book from Vanishing Inc called "Magic in Mind". Practicing slights is one thing (important), but understanding magic theory and performance art....equally important. You don't want to become just a guy who does trick after trick after trick etc. This book is a great smattering of information from loads of great card magicians. Did I mention it's FREE?

7. Put a budget for yourself each year. For myself, all in, I will spend no more than $100 a year on magic stuff. That includes cards, DVDs, books, etc. It makes you a lot choosier, a lot more careful to think through what you really want your card magic to become. I end up buying One book, one theory book, and a brick of cards. After that, it's just practice and thinking through what effects you want to learn and what type of magician do you want to become.

8. To be well rounded, listen to things like the Scott Wells' Podcast and The Magic News Wire, I've personally learned tons about magic and thinking behind magic by some really amazing magicians. Don't re-create the wheel, learn from those who have come before us.

9. Find trusted folks that you value their constructive criticism. Don't just take ANYONE's Criticism. Understand WHO is giving you feedback and are they qualified to give it. You want folks who know their stuff and have an interest in you improving the art.

10. My own take on youtube is to just focus on performances and only from those artists who have highly stood the test of time or highly regarded in the magic community. Youtube does have loads of stuff, so be very very careful. Even if you don't like certain great magicians like say, a Darwin Ortiz, you can still learn something about performance, and can at least start to see what STYLE of magic you like.

Hope this in some small measure helps you along your exciting pathway. I'm loving learning card magic and hope you do to!

Mar 31, 2014
Calgary, AB
I've been going through Royal Road to Card Magic for about 8 months so here's my tips overall in your endeavor to learn card magic.

1. Buy only bicycle cards decks. No sense spending loads of cash on decks that will quickly get worn out just practicing the basics. If you want to splurge, get some nice Tally-Ho's. When I get better (I realize that's subjective) I may get something nicer, but to be honest, people may suspect something fishy outside of Tally-Ho's, Bees, and Bicycles.

2. Definitely like the others above recommend the Royal Road to Card Magic. Of KEY importance is NOT to advance to the next chapter until you REALLY can do the slights etc. listed. I'm still stuck on p***ing after two months. I did purchase the DVD companion to this from Paul R Wilson but I read AND watch. Love the DVD.

3. I would re-iterate the value of FOCUS. There is a GLUT of information and materials all over the place. IGNORE it all and focus on the ONE book and getting better.

4. When practicing a slight, do it for a while very very slowly while watching yourself and making sure it's done right. Long sessions doing a slight incorrectly only prevents further advancement. When you're better and know it's done right, then start doing the slight without looking at your hands. Then don't look at your hands and check yourself in a mirror. Then don't look and rehearse your patter (as your shuffling etc.).

5. I would encourage to practice short amounts every day vs. a long time away, then hours at a time. It's like meals, don't gorge yourself and then starve yourself.

6. There's a great free theory book from Vanishing Inc called "Magic in Mind". Practicing slights is one thing (important), but understanding magic theory and performance art....equally important. You don't want to become just a guy who does trick after trick after trick etc. This book is a great smattering of information from loads of great card magicians. Did I mention it's FREE?

7. Put a budget for yourself each year. For myself, all in, I will spend no more than $100 a year on magic stuff. That includes cards, DVDs, books, etc. It makes you a lot choosier, a lot more careful to think through what you really want your card magic to become. I end up buying One book, one theory book, and a brick of cards. After that, it's just practice and thinking through what effects you want to learn and what type of magician do you want to become.

8. To be well rounded, listen to things like the Scott Wells' Podcast and The Magic News Wire, I've personally learned tons about magic and thinking behind magic by some really amazing magicians. Don't re-create the wheel, learn from those who have come before us.

9. Find trusted folks that you value their constructive criticism. Don't just take ANYONE's Criticism. Understand WHO is giving you feedback and are they qualified to give it. You want folks who know their stuff and have an interest in you improving the art.

10. My own take on youtube is to just focus on performances and only from those artists who have highly stood the test of time or highly regarded in the magic community. Youtube does have loads of stuff, so be very very careful. Even if you don't like certain great magicians like say, a Darwin Ortiz, you can still learn something about performance, and can at least start to see what STYLE of magic you like.

Hope this in some small measure helps you along your exciting pathway. I'm loving learning card magic and hope you do to!

That is some very sound advice right there, I would give this post a thumbs up if I was able to.

One thing I would like to add and since you are starting out, this would be a good time to keep this in mind. Be unique, not necessarily with the tricks you perform but how you present them, really keep in mind who you are. I know this is sort of off topic but other then this, I would just be repeating what others have said.

Jun 20, 2014
I am another newbie to card tricks. Very good advices were written right here.
The only thing I'd like to ask is about card decks. Do I have to buy some sort of special decks for tricks specifically? Or I can get any plastic poker deck?

I am sorry in advance if this was already mentioned before on the forum. I just started out here as well.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Matt,

Plastic decks often have a clumpy finish that makes the cards stick together. For this reason, paper-based decks are recommended. Regular "rider back" Bicycles are fine, as are Bees and Tally-Hos. That being said, you can use any deck for sleight of hand if you're a good enough magician. I hope that helped!

Jun 20, 2014
Matt,

Plastic decks often have a clumpy finish that makes the cards stick together. For this reason, paper-based decks are recommended. Regular "rider back" Bicycles are fine, as are Bees and Tally-Hos. That being said, you can use any deck for sleight of hand if you're a good enough magician. I hope that helped!

thanks for you answer, wZEnigma! I believed the opposite tbh, that the plastic ones are meant for card tricks and flourishing since they are "fluid", smooth and flexible. Gonna try the ones you suggested. Thanks again!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results