Thoughts on Strolling/Restaurant work.

Jun 13, 2013
Fort Myers, Fl
Hey Guys! Long time listener first time caller here. Sup?

I'm getting ready for my first paid gig at a restaurant and wanted to lean on the experience of the workers here. What are some of the lessons that you learned that you wish you would have known starting out.

What I do know is I firstly do not want to do any "fool you" tricks that make the spectators feel embarrassed or threatened. Secondly I know to leave the "date/private talkers" alone. What other advice do you have?

What kind of tricks should I focus on? (I plan to do short routines, thinks like five speed and ambitious card)

Apr 17, 2013
Pick up a few things right now. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3753 http://danharlanmagic.com/More-Than-Meets-The-Eye-MTMTE-Instant-Download.htm http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3874

Then read up on the threads here on table hopping like http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?40949-Tablehopping-experiences and some of the threads here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=5&102061

What I have used for about 20 years is three sets of three or four effects that flow well into each other. Meaning a good opener a nice filler and a powerful closer. With three sets of three different effect you are far enough away from table one by the time you get to table four that there is no over lap in what someone might have seen. Stay away from 100% cards. Stay away from anything to do with your mouth and watch out about fire because of local fire codes.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Krab covered everything so well I have very little to add.

One thing I think is important to remember is to make your routines extremely modular. Yes, you do want a nice climactic end, but you also need to be able to stop at any point in case the table isn't feeling it, or if the food comes, etc. You basically want to be able, at any point, to make it seem like that was exactly when you meant to stop.

Apr 17, 2013
Krab covered everything so well I have very little to add.

One thing I think is important to remember is to make your routines extremely modular. Yes, you do want a nice climactic end, but you also need to be able to stop at any point in case the table isn't feeling it, or if the food comes, etc. You basically want to be able, at any point, to make it seem like that was exactly when you meant to stop.

Or you might need to go longer if there is a screw up in the back of house. Also you will need a couple of really killer not really strolling long reset effects for VIP tables.

Apr 17, 2013
Can you define a long reset effect for me?

If it takes you more than 30 seconds to reset. You have to be able to reset on your way to the next table. If you have to duck out for five minutes every three tables it looks bad. So if you can't reset while walking it is too long for your man set.
Now you are saying "But Krab, I could just carry three or four decks set for one effect." True you could but you are working with limited pocket space and even more limited if you are using a topit.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I would suggest having three quick routines and maybe 1 or 2 "special" effects for VIPS. Also it is better to done with your show light years before the food arrives so you can a little time to talk to the people at the table and hand out business cards. (Also this makes it easier to step out of the way IF the food does arrive when you are chatting, because the show is technically already over and you're already cleaned up.)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hmmm....something I wished I would have known way back when I started. I wished I would have read David Stone's Book
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2504 and Jamie Grant's Book http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3753
Both of these are well worth the price tag. Get them ASAP.

All magic items go back in the exact same spot in my suit coat or pants pockets every time so that there is no fumbling around trying to remember where the coin shell is and which deck is the ID and which one is the normal deck. Boy, if I could look back at myself 10 years ago I would have laughed hysterically.

Another rookie mistake is loading up with about 30 effects on you "thinking" you will use them all. Ha Ha. As mentioned, you only need, I promise you, about 9 strolling effects (3 sets of 3) and a few killer closers for the special table that may have a high roller or VIP from a local business or such. You may have the manager come over to you and tell you to go do something special for a table like this.

Something else that happened to me on more than one occasion is having a manager come to me and tell me to immediately get over to table #7 that their order has been delayed or messed up and they are irate. The kitchen needs you to "entertain" and try to make them happy while they fix the mistake. Ugh...this is tricky because you are approaching a table of pissed off people and now you have to make them feel all of the nice warm fuzzies and make it all better. Ha Ha.

Let me know if you have any other specifics. There are a few of us workers around that can help you get through this. You will make mistakes and learn. Trust me. We've all been there and that is how you continue to make professional growth. You don't grow by making youtube videos at home in the comfort of your bedroom.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
One thing I would suggest is keeping your performances short and treating them less like a full show and more like a teaser trailer. You want people to just entertained enough to the point where they don't feel like you've tried to throw everything at them, but also short enough to where they want more (so they're going to have to book you for a gig where you'll show them completely different materiel than you did at the restaurant/bar.).

Jun 13, 2013
Fort Myers, Fl
"AMAZING INFO DUMP"

Well Sir, I'm sorry I could not reply sooner... had to work my job that I am working to pay for my life while I attempt to get paid to play with cards.

All of this information is amazing! I've seen allot of resources like these but I wanted something vetted as there are so many "BEST PRO-MAGIC COURSE" salesmen out there and I'm not wanting to try and read through the green place that SHALL NOT BE NAMED.

Jun 13, 2013
Fort Myers, Fl
If it takes you more than 30 seconds to reset. You have to be able to reset on your way to the next table. If you have to duck out for five minutes every three tables it looks bad. So if you can't reset while walking it is too long for your man set.

So true. The most I have to reset is Kenner's Five Speed, and that resets pretty much as fast as a pass for me.

Aug 30, 2012
The number one thing I will recommend as someone who Is prepping for my 1st restaurant show is what Krab suggested, Dan Harlan's "More than Meets the Eye". It is going to be your most valuable resource and it will change your whole outlook on your show

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
I am also trying to pick up some restaurant work over this summer. I ordered The Approach but it has not arrived yet. About how long should my routine be? I have a routine that can either be 5 minutes OR 10 minutes, depending on how it is performed and some things added. I was wondering if it is better to go with the 5 minute one or 10 min? Both play huge, instantly reset, and flow nicely.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
5 min is the MAX, sometimes you may not even have that much time too. Try to structure your routines so they can end quickly and reset instantly.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would say 5-7 minutes is pretty common for your sets while at tables, however I have stayed up to about 10 if it was a slow night or if it was getting towards closing time and there were a few patrons left at a table still finishing up a drink or so.

Remember: you can always go back to a table later if they request you to come back and you don't have other tables to entertain.

For the most part you hit them as soon as the drink order is taken for about 3 short effects and then move along to the next table. You will run into some situations where you might only get one effect in at a table and the food may arrive. Do not stand there and keep trying to entertain while their food is sitting in front of them getting cold. It is rude and awkward.

Sometimes I've even entertained between 2 tables and allowed them to both view the magic at the same time. As this isn't something that I typically do, I have had it happen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results