Height Problem with Coin Magic

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I'm very short for my age, and this often isn't a problem with many card sleights since most of the best angles are looking down on the deck, which my diminutive stature actually aids in doing. However, there are many coin sleights that I am afraid to do since I am so short, namely the french drop, the french pop, and the spellbound change (although the same fear applies to other moves that require palm-up concealments). Is there any way for me to better conceal these standing up without taking a step back (because my hands are small, I work with half dollars which would reduce visibility), or should I just give up on these moves? Also, if you have any substitutes for the standard spellbound change or a one handed vanish, I would love it if you could recommend them.

Thanks,
Peter H

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Yes but there is a possibility of the spectator catching a glint. I mostly asked this to see if there was a way if I could do a standard spellbound change without my height being an issue.

Feb 10, 2013
To be honest, I have never really had much of an issue with height (with the exception of learning the edge grip. That took a little while to get the angles down.) I am pretty short as well, but you need to be a whole lot shorter than the people watching for height to really cause a problem. If I am ever worried, I slightly adjust my wrist rotation, or just switch all my nowhere palms, curl palms, and edge grips into finger palms for easier angle management.

If you are still very worried, Eric Jones had a great tip to easily improve your angles. Quite simply put, take a step backwards. This can help with the height issue, as well as improving your angles to the side, for the people will now be slightly in front of you rather than right to your sides or directly overhead and looking down. It is such a simple tip, but really can help in some situations.

The biggest tip I have is to stop worrying and just try it. There is no better way to learn your angles then trying things in performance. Don't worry about flashing, it is a learning experience.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Well, I am much much shorter than anyone I wish to perform to. I'm 5 foot one, and am the shortest boy in my high school campus. I don't want to step back however, since I use half dollars and this would drastically reduce their visibility.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results