Effects for big tables

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hey there,

as I am performing in the restaurant I noticed that I have a problem with big tables (10+ people). It occures oh so often that I lose their attention, someone starts talking, not everybody can hear me or my effects are just not suited for such big tables. That is also my biggest problem.
I perform for big tables:
ID
Multiple Card Routine
Maybe a sponge ball opener
and now new: Poker Test
I am also learning a rope routine but that will take me some more time.
So at the core I am looking for Parlor effects with instant reset. I think ID is best suited for big tables (from the listed effects.)
AND: They need to pack small because I have a very limited pocket space.
Mentalism would be an option but not for me as I am not ready for it.
I am eagerly awaiting your suggestions and thank you all
Cheers
Philipp
PS: I didn't find a thread in this forum for this topic, if it is a second thread to the same topic I apologize in advance.

Feb 10, 2013
You need tricks that can get more people involved. The tricks you listed (based on the way most people perform them) don't, and can feel like you are just performing to one or two people of the group.

Take the sponge ball routine for example: you are pretty much performing for the one or two people of whom you are putting the sponge balls into their hands, and then looking up at the whole group for the reveal and reaction (again, I don't know if this is how "you" in particular are doing this. This is based off of how I see a lot of people doing it.)

In the invisible deck there is only one card selected, but people try to combat that and make it more suitable for larger audiences by asking individual people to choose black or red and then the suit. I don't think that one little answer is truly enough to get them involved and to care about what is going on. And if they don't care enough, then they are not going to stray away from their conversation. You need a performance that plays much bigger than the standard "here is my invisible deck, now shuffle it," type thing (Or you just need another trick.)

All of this has really been about getting more people involved, which is definitely a great thing to try and do, but remember, the most important thing is your presentation. You need to make them care about what you are doing more so than the conversation they were having before you showed up so they will want to stop talking and pay attention. Then you need to get them to like you and want to keep watching so people don't start dropping off and opening a conversation again in the middle of your performance. There is so much in these forums about making a good presentation so I will not really go into it.

One other thing you mentioned is volume. That is a big problem that luckily has a very simple solution - speak louder. If you are speaking softly, the people at the other side of the table won't hear you. Why would they bother paying attention if they can't hear what is going on? It makes it seem like you are only performing for those close to you and ignoring the others, so they feel left out and are of course going to start a conversation with their friends.

Also, speaking softly can come across as nervous, shy, uncomfortable, or seem like you lack confidence, all of which is an immediate turn off. Even if you are really nervous, you mustn't come across that way to them. The easiest solution is speaking louder and higher pitched. Not only is volume important, but pitch is as well, for people have a tendency to speak lower when they are nervous. People will notice this, and if they think and feel that you are comfortable, then they will be more comfortable with you.

Body language is also very important. With open body language, not only will you seem more confident-you will become more confident. Studies show that not only does your brain trigger your body language, but it can work vice versa. If you make a conscious effort to have body language that is more open and portrays confidence, then you will essentially trick your brain, mind and body into being more confident and comfortable.

After a while of using this advice regarding vocal projection and body language it will start to become a habit. And having a habit of being and coming across as comfortable and confident when performing is possibly one of the greatest habits you could ever form.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Just remember to involve more people and have tricks that play bigger. I am sure you can find some that make the cut, but to get you started here is a card trick that is simple, impromptu, involves everybody, and with a good presentation and some gags can be very entertaining - a multiple revelation routine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results