New to Magic and Don't know where to start

May 19, 2014
New jersey
I have always been interested in magic for as long as I remember. I recently picked up on the hobby again but I want to take it serious now just so i can have some fun and actually get a kick out of it. I recently spent money on several gaffed decks and have been having fun getting my friends and family with it. I then stopped by a Magic store in Nyc and spoke to a guy who said i Should start off with Some DVD's that teach me tricks with a normal deck of cards. So i did. My point is this, I've spent money on what seems to be low quality magic such as gaffed decks and spent money on advanced tricks such as "52 shades of red" with out really being good enough to actually perform it the right way but yet i do. Im wondering from some advice so I can go about the the right way and now keep spending unnecessary money. I am not so good at card handling and have abad habit of learning a trick and doing it right away even when I'm not ready to. Any Advice? Card Tricks/DVD Recommendations?

Nov 12, 2013
Try "Born to Perform Card Magic" by Oz Pearlman. Its got a ton of great beginner card material that you can do at any time. If you want some sleight of hand, also check out "Color Changes" by Jay Noblezada or Jay Sankey's "Sleight of hand secrets with Cards." Those will give you a foundation in card magic and card sleights. From there, you can go for more intermediate and advanced magic and sleights from a DVD like The Trilogy by Dan and Dave that you can get right here at theory11. Another option is lectures from pro card magicians like Aaron Fisher, Darwin Ortiz, Alex Pandrea, etc. For more suggestions, try checking out the Card Magic Forum on the previous page. There, many experienced magicians are helping beginners like you who are into card magic to find the right material and the right way to go. Hope that helped! -Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2014
New jersey
Kyle, I appreciate the advice I will def be looking into those DVD"s. Your absolutely right i need to build a foundation first. Thanks again!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey Beltrem,
Honestly the best place to start also happens to be the most affordable. The Library. It will have a spectacular variety (of both books and dvds) to begin with. Read everything you can find-even the stuff for younger kids. Consume it all. So much free solid material there. You will save a fortune. You will learn principles of how magic works and will know when to save your money or splurge on a new book, dvd, or trick.

May 19, 2014
New jersey
Justin, thanks for the response. I didn't think of that. I am more of a visual learner but I will do some homework and read up on some books. Thanks for the advice

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
You need to get books like royal road to card magic, mark wilson's complete course in magic, card college these will give you the basics which you NEED to know before you can advance onto anything else. Just by buying the Royal Road it will be the best money you have spent and you can get it pretty cheap as a Dover reprint on amazon.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
1. Maybe for later
hey there, may I add a ressource that my seem odd to you but I think many beginners think of effects like these. Buy:
Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism. Not to be a Mentalist but to have ressource when your interested in creating such an effect.
2. Don't make the mistake to solely focus on cards (like myself). Maybe you try to learn coin magic along the way (Metal 1-3 DVDs or BOBO's Modern Coin Magic)
3. Oz Pearlmans DVD and Royal Road would be the best places to start. I own the WIlson course and I didn't like the card section that much.
4. Although nobody likes it, you could take a look at card magic channels on YT. Sometimes you will pick a real gem out of there. But it is likely that it is taught wront.
5. Stars of Magic and Card College are books you should buy later IF you decide to get serious with card magic or if you just like the basics and then move on to coin magic e.g.
6. Learn only a few tricks you really like and make them YOUR trick. Only perform those tricks and think of a great presentation for these.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Please Read This Carefully. . .

You are new to the art and being given a lot of information that's NOT taking that into account. You need foundation material before you need all the other material e.g. you need to invest in three books for starters; The Mark Wilson Course in Magic and Bill Tarr's Now You See it Now You Don't vols. I & II. . . this is enough material to carry you in your studies for at least six to nine months THEN you will be ready for these other books. Arguably you might want to preface some of those books by investing in the Tarbell Course in Magic but there are pros & cons to said venture. I believe it is still a valuable resource that every magician should have on their book shelves in that it gives you a sound overview of magic from close-up to grand illusion.

You DO NOT need to invest in Corinda or any of the other "niche" material until you are ready to move down said paths. I know people that have never considered Mentalism but focused on other arenas such as Cards, Coins, Stage, etc. Mentalism IS NOT the same thing as magic and it is very unwise for anyone with a lack of showmanship experience to step into that arena; it IS NOT the same psychology or attitude when executed.

I would encourage you to learn coins first before you get to codependent on playing card stuff. Magic lovers are addicted to playing cards and it would seem it is nigh impossible to pry a deck from their hands once they begin such acts of masturbation. THERE'S MORE TO LIFE! Study Bobo's Modern Coin Magic or material on Sponge manipulation, Cups & Balls, etc. before you start down the playing card path (a.k.a. the Dark Side). If and when you begin hanging out around actual working pros you'll find that many of them have the same low opinion of card work; we may admire those that do solid card work but we loathe the obsession as well as how it limits one's ability to ENTERTAIN in a greater sense of range. . . and yes, I've been seriously entertained by some master card workers but put to sleep by the majority that do card effects. So please, take those steps cautiously and consider what I've said here.

Two other basic books you need are Magic & Showmanship (very dry, yet important read) and the Amature Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. Again, dated material but solid information not to mention insights into how to structure an actual act. BTW. . . you can get nearly all the books I've listed through Amazon.com and in some cases Lybrary.com as a download.

Best of luck!

May 19, 2014
New jersey
thanks for your in depth response. I am looking forward to buying the books you recommended along with some of the other beginner recommendations. As fas as coin tricks and other magic tricks I own the scotch and soda which i love and the cups and balls as well.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
thanks for your in depth response. I am looking forward to buying the books you recommended along with some of the other beginner recommendations. As fas as coin tricks and other magic tricks I own the scotch and soda which i love and the cups and balls as well.

It's great to see you love the cups and balls, if you study this effect properly and learn as many different routines (which will be a long process) as you can this one trick will teach you so much about magic, from sleight of hand to misdriection and everything in between.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I have always been interested in magic for as long as I remember. I recently picked up on the hobby again but I want to take it serious now just so i can have some fun and actually get a kick out of it. I recently spent money on several gaffed decks and have been having fun getting my friends and family with it. I then stopped by a Magic store in Nyc and spoke to a guy who said i Should start off with Some DVD's that teach me tricks with a normal deck of cards. So i did. My point is this, I've spent money on what seems to be low quality magic such as gaffed decks and spent money on advanced tricks such as "52 shades of red" with out really being good enough to actually perform it the right way but yet i do. Im wondering from some advice so I can go about the the right way and now keep spending unnecessary money. I am not so good at card handling and have abad habit of learning a trick and doing it right away even when I'm not ready to. Any Advice? Card Tricks/DVD Recommendations?

Seems like you are really interested in card magic.

My suggestions:

Royal Road to Card Magic ($10 on amazon or Denny & Lee's Magic)
Royal Road to Card Magic DVD set: ($70-99)...5 DVD set to accompany the book (In my opinion).
Card College book series...MY FAVS!!!!
Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles (9 DVD set) - He explains everything very well...

There is so much more, but this would by my suggestion for someone who seems to be a beginner into card magic.

Of course the other books and material mentioned are all great ideas as well...

May 19, 2014
New jersey
Thanks mike. I already purchased the royal road to card magic book and two volumes of michael ammar easy to learn card tricks. I love it already!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results