Here's a good question

Feb 11, 2014
What do you guys say when people say to you "How did you do that". After a trick many people ask how you did what you just did. I always usually just respond by saying "Magic". But im curious on what other magicians say to respond to that. Thanks

Apr 1, 2009
California
I tend to just play off whatever the current atmosphere is. If I get asked that question, sometimes them asking is just a natural reaction and doesn't need an answer so it's perfectly okay to not reply and smile. Remaining quiet sometimes lets the moment grow as well. You don't always need to say something.

I like giving a ridiculous answer. For example, if I had done Ring Thing I would say something like this: "When I took the ring off my finger I slowed down time for me, and speed it up for you. So I really am putting it back on my finger, but I speed everything up so fast you can't see it."

Aug 17, 2010
What do you guys say when people say to you "How did you do that".

If you keep thinking on it, you'll come up with ones that fit you. I don't know if you're a super-serious type, lighthearted, smart-alecky or something else, so I don't know what might sound like something you might say.

As AsherF says, silence is a pretty good option. The question is often rhetorical, so a smile and a wink (figuratively) is often a great answer.

When I'm busking, I pick whichever seems to fit the moment (and effect) best; I try to have a bunch in the back of my head just in case.

- pretty well
- passably
- the standard way
- I don't really know
- with style and panache
- with alien technology
- the show is free, the lessons cost money
- Jedi mind whammy
- with the wisdom of the ancients
- I did it when you weren't looking
- double jointed thumb
- should the trick be one of the 'bogus explanation' type, I reiterate the bogus method.

When it's just me performing for friends and family, it's usually something like "you know I can't tell you that."

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I think your response should fit who you are...

If you have a character when performing, try to think of he/she would react to such a question.

When I was doing my bar gig and someone asked, I would answer honestly..."Pure sleight of hand". This would then lead to other questions and help me build rapport with my spectators/customers. But that was my "character" behind the bar.

It just really depends on who YOU are when performing...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
There's a big difference between, "How did you do that?" and "How did you do that!" You have to be sure you're hearing the right one. The first is a question which wants an answer, the second is just an expression and doesn't want an answer.

Personally, I try to answer as my stage persona so I say things like, "Energy, vibration, frequency" or "I didn't, you guys did. I just helped you along." But I have a very sort of mystical persona.

As Mike said - you have to figure out how your character would respond.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results