Comedy phrases for spectators and Hecklers

Jun 13, 2013
I recently realized that I don't really have any scripted comedy lines for when I'm perfoming. I also realize that when you're dealing with a heckler that you shouldn't perform for them and have them pegged as a heckler ahead of time. But what lines do ya'll use if walking away isn't so easy.

Jun 13, 2013
Someone recently said that this is what they do. (I thought this was brilliant, but it seems like it will only make matters worse)

look at the heckler about to ruin the trick and say "Hey, I'm gonna read your mind. Think of a sentence and I'll write a prediction of what it is."

*Write something on paper and let the spectator, in your case, the girl read it*

She reads what you wrote and it goes like

"Oh the magician (or use your name) has bought a trick and practiced it so well that he is getting so much attention. I am so damn jealous, I know the secret but I haven't practiced so I cannot perform. I think if I reveal the secret maybe she will pay attention to me. I mean I do not really know how to get people to pay attention to me. I guess I will spoil the trick, that will make me look important"

Then go like "So was that what you were thinking?".

I sometimes take it further, when they show the paper they have and it says something else, I go like "Woah dude how did you manage to keep me from reading your mind, guys pay attention to him, he kept me from reading his mind".

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
Someone recently said that this is what they do. (I thought this was brilliant, but it seems like it will only make matters worse)

look at the heckler about to ruin the trick and say "Hey, I'm gonna read your mind. Think of a sentence and I'll write a prediction of what it is."

*Write something on paper and let the spectator, in your case, the girl read it*

She reads what you wrote and it goes like

"Oh the magician (or use your name) has bought a trick and practiced it so well that he is getting so much attention. I am so damn jealous, I know the secret but I haven't practiced so I cannot perform. I think if I reveal the secret maybe she will pay attention to me. I mean I do not really know how to get people to pay attention to me. I guess I will spoil the trick, that will make me look important"

Then go like "So was that what you were thinking?".

I sometimes take it further, when they show the paper they have and it says something else, I go like "Woah dude how did you manage to keep me from reading your mind, guys pay attention to him, he kept me from reading his mind".

yes that was me.

I would like to point out a few things here.

Firstly I am a standup comedian and am known as that locally so when I perform I mix comedy with magic and even harsh lines pass as funny because "he is just kidding".

Secondly there is a fine line between a heckler and a spoiler:

heckler is someone being tough and ruining your act by being overly critical and observant.

Spoiler is a person who will expose your trick because they know how it is done already. they are like those youtube 'exposers' and have no regard for the art.

FOR hecklers: I am friendly and i perform my material that cant be figured out easily. Sleights that are second nature to me and so on. DONT PISS OFF A HECKLER THEY CAN BE YOUR FRIEND. Just give them attention make them feel important.

FOR spoilers: i go nuclear. A person who has no regard for magic and ruins it for others by exposing, i make it a point to make them feel the opposite of important.

if there is enough interest, I will pen an ebook on the subject of "Heckler comebacks" in magic and give it away for free.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
I would prefer the Jamie D. Grant approach: Kill them with kindness. In the end it's all about how you make your spectator feel so give the heckler the place. If however somebody spoils him, well... I never have it but if so I say: "Keep it fo yourself. Now we share a secret."

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I would prefer the Jamie D. Grant approach: Kill them with kindness. In the end it's all about how you make your spectator feel so give the heckler the place. If however somebody spoils him, well... I never have it but if so I say: "Keep it fo yourself. Now we share a secret."

Luke the original poster, was performing distortion and once it was over, a guy tries to teach it. Luke tried to go easy by saying "Hey buddy thats our little secret" and the spoiler jerk went like "yea, and hers" and continued explaining. Luke acted cool but decided not to perform for this A hole again.

The spoiler was clearly not the type who should be rewarded with attention.

Jun 13, 2013
That's what I'm thinking Ibimania. When dealing with heckler's I found that complimenting them and performing stuff like (PK touch, Invisible deck, and especially The Code) is the best way to win them over. It seems like you should not perform or give any attention to spoilers.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Why exactly do you want to win them over? What do you get from it? Besides showing your superiority to them and thus causing them to WANT to catch you off later on. Personally, your best option is just to ignore the guy and shrug it off. Who cares if he "taught" the trick to one person.

Jun 13, 2013
Me and the spoiler are cool, there's definately no tension between us. I could honestly care less. lol the chick probably didn't even understand the termonolgy he was using. But it's good to get into the habit of being able to win people over whenver you want. The whole reason I'm in magic is to get better at social dynamics. For all I know, this spoiler might be a succesful employer 5 yrs. from now who I would want to get a job from.

Jun 13, 2013
And of course magic isn't the only way to get people to like you or remember you. but if you're performing, I hate the idea of thinking the spectator is a A_hole, or just walking away on bad terms. Magic should be fun, not create tension

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results