Penn and Teller Revealing Magic?

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I think what Penn and Teller did with things like their transparent cups and balls, their truck trick and so on, is less exposure than redefining the effect.

Take their cups and balls. The classic effect is that balls magically appear, disappear and translocate under cups, maybe with some penetration thrown in for good measure. In Penn and Teller's routine, that's not the effect. In their routine, the effect is that human perception can be manipulated and misdirected even under apparently "transparent" conditions. This effect is just given a structure and a framing by the use of cups and balls, which are familiar magic props and so enable the audience to keep up with the narrative.

And their "Trick Truck" truck trick. The effect isn't that Teller can withstand being run over by a truck. That's just the introductory premise. The effect is that people can be fooled by thinking too small, that, in order to deceive, someone might go to lengths unimaginable in other circumstances. In this case, those unimaginable lengths are gimmicking a whole truck.

So, what Penn and Teller did in these apparent displays of exposure is create "meta-magic", magic which told a story about the process and structure of magic and how wonderful it is. In other words, they found a way to share the wonder that we, as magicians, feel when we see a beautiful method, without actually revealing any secrets which would be detrimental to the art.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Even though these guys "reveal" the trick, they do it so well and smooth that even while showing the people the secret, they really can't exactly explain how it is done. I think what they have done in the magic industry is prett clever. I personally wouldn't perform my own show like that, but I would watch it.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I just got back from one of their shows this weekend. I wouldn't say they reveal anything. They reveal principles perhaps, but then proceed to full you beyond belief. They make you the audience feel as though you're in on something then use that to their advantage and blow your mind. The point really is that knowing little techniques and whatnot is not that important. What is important is the presentation or message. If you ever have the opportunity to see the show, do it. Seeing Teller perform his shadow routine as well as his version of miser's dream in person is something you will never forget. Magician or not, go and witness real magic.
photo.php

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I just got back from one of their shows this weekend. I wouldn't say they reveal anything. They reveal principles perhaps, but then proceed to full you beyond belief. They make you the audience feel as though you're in on something then use that to their advantage and blow your mind. The point really is that knowing little techniques and whatnot is not that important. What is important is the presentation or message. If you ever have the opportunity to see the show, do it. Seeing Teller perform his shadow routine as well as his version of miser's dream in person is something you will never forget. Magician or not, go and witness real magic.
photo.php

So did you see the helium escape?

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
Seeing Teller perform his shadow routine as well as his version of miser's dream in person is something you will never forget. Magician or not, go and witness real magic.[/IMG]

I agree. The Shadow Routine and Harry Blackstone Jr. Flying Lightbulb has to be hands down my two favorite moments in magic.

Apr 1, 2009
California
They did do the helium escape as well. And the shadow routine is just... flawless... especially the finally. It's moments like that one that make me truly love magic.

excerpt from Fooling Houdini by Alex Stone.

"...At one show, they (Penn & Teller) taught the audience three different card sleights during the first act --you could just hear the old guard gasping in horror-- and then had virtuoso close up magician Jamy Ian Swiss mill about the crowd at intermission performing card tricks using only those three sleights. Not one person caught on."

Lay people aren't able to put two and two together, even if someone knows what a double lift is they will still get fooled by it everytime.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't really have anything to add to the conversation other than to agree with two previous posts - Shadows is the reason I go to Vegas.

Jul 21, 2017
I think Penn & Teller only reveal "secrets" as it were to their own effects,or to blindingly simple ones and they occasionally make the explanation so ridiculous and long winded,just so people think they are giving away secrets.Ironic magicians I think.Also the reveals are usually more interesting than the "trick" they are doing e.g Driving a truck over Teller.
For example they do cups & balls with clear cups and explain as they go.Then they do it at full speed and no-one is any wiser!
Magicians are too touchy at times.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results