Saturday Night Contest - Faking French

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
This past Sunday, we celebrated our seven year anniversary (!!) with a new release by Wayne Houchin: FRENCH KISS. W:H created the basic effect in 2002, and since then, it's been performed around the world by magicians like Cyril Takayama, Dynamo, Dan White, and many more. French Kiss also includes an all-new notepad routine, using only a pen and paper. Amazing.

To commemorate that release tonight, we thought it'd be fun to host another round of our Fake Exposure contests. Your challenge is to come up with the most RIDICULOUS, crazy, outside the box, laughable method for French Kiss. Then, film yourself teaching that ridiculous method to the world, and post the link in THIS forum thread.

Upload your video entry to YouTube or Vimeo, and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread on or before 7:30pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, September 7th. You have a FULL 24 HOURS to enter this week! After time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on creativity. What's up for grabs? 1,000 Elite Points, French Kiss, and 2 Decks of Tycoon Playing Cards (One Red, One Blue). Have fun with it!

While this contest is lighthearted, the goal is to fill the web with FAKE exposure videos, making it more difficult for anyone to learn the real secret - aside from the authorized source. Together, tonight, we can make a real difference in the fight against magic exposure. Go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2014
And do we get bonus points for making a bad tutorial? Sloppy handling, bad explanation, apparent confusion etc.....

U

username000001

And do we get bonus points for making a bad tutorial? Sloppy handling, bad explanation, apparent confusion etc.....

I think the goal here is to make it a clear explanation, but with a totally wrong method. (the more impractical, the more hilarious)

Sep 7, 2014
Hi everyone!
I have been huge fan of Wayne's work for a long time and I really like this idea of fake reveal, but what I would like everyone of you to do is go to disturb reality channel and spam ALL of his French kiss trick reveals! Please go and do that he has minimum 3 videos teaching this effect, he may have more so please go and spam all of those videos!
Thank you

Jul 13, 2014
Hi everyone!
I have been huge fan of Wayne's work for a long time and I really like this idea of fake reveal, but what I would like everyone of you to do is go to disturb reality channel and spam ALL of his French kiss trick reveals! Please go and do that he has minimum 3 videos teaching this effect, he may have more so please go and spam all of those videos!
Thank you
Excellent idea. I post comments all over YouTube complaining about this piracy but all I get is hate. Maybe if more people did it too they'd start to realize that it really is a major issue.

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
Hi everyone!
Thank you

Guys you don't have to do that when Evan post the tutorials it wasn't an official DVD yet .... don't do that for him .... i'm also a huge fan of Wayne's work .... but Evan put a lot of hard work on his youtube channel ... come on .... let Theory11 ask him to delete the videos but do not complain this is not nice at all .

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Guys you don't have to do that when Evan post the tutorials it wasn't an official DVD yet .... don't do that for him .... i'm also a huge fan of Wayne's work .... but Evan put a lot of hard work on his youtube channel ... come on .... let Theory11 ask him to delete the videos but do not complain this is not nice at all .

French Kiss appeared on the DVD Art of Magic in 2009, way before that YouTube channel posted the tutorials. In my opinion, I don't find ripping off the original creators and not crediting them as "hard work". He is just stealing the effect acting like it is his own, which is 100% unethical and wrong. I don't think spamming his channel will do anything either. One of the best things to do is to not watch at all. This is just my opinion, but if I really wanted to LEARN a trick, I would never look for a tutorial on YouTube. There is no substance to their teaching, because they aren't teaching you anything. They just show you how it's done, rather than give you tips to make sure you are performing it correctly. That is why it is important to learn from the original creator, because not only do you learn the trick properly, you get really insightful tips and handlings that no one else but the creator can give you. The majority of the big magic channels on YouTube are fake magicians; their purpose is to get paid for views. Plain and simple. They don't care about the audience, or want to engage with them and build a rapport. They just want your view. That's all I have to say about that.

Jul 13, 2014
French Kiss appeared on the DVD Art of Magic in 2009, way before that YouTube channel posted the tutorials. In my opinion, I don't find ripping off the original creators and not crediting them as "hard work". He is just stealing the effect acting like it is his own, which is 100% unethical and wrong. I don't think spamming his channel will do anything either. One of the best things to do is to not watch at all. This is just my opinion, but if I really wanted to LEARN a trick, I would never look for a tutorial on YouTube. There is no substance to their teaching, because they aren't teaching you anything. They just show you how it's done, rather than give you tips to make sure you are performing it correctly. That is why it is important to learn from the original creator, because not only do you learn the trick properly, you get really insightful tips and handlings that no one else but the creator can give you. The majority of the big magic channels on YouTube are fake magicians; their purpose is to get paid for views. Plain and simple. They don't care about the audience, or want to engage with them and build a rapport. They just want your view. That's all I have to say about that.
I wouldn't say that's completely accurate. Some of those guys do care about having fans and if we alienate enough of them it might change their behavior. The most likely way to stop it would probably be for everyone to leave a comment politely informing them that what their doing is unethical and should stop. If enough people tell them they might start to listen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results