Geek magic for Halloween

Nov 1, 2013
hey all, I was wondering what you guys would recommend for geek magic to do on Halloween, such as saw, and some of Wayne Houchin's stuff. so any good suggestions? (I'm looking more for shock magic type tricks)

Jul 13, 2009
Keep It At Magic

Ehehe ehehe hee, if obvious nervous laugh wasn't obvious enough----that was a nervous laugh. Human Blockhead is a stunt and should be kept in that category. Geek Magic is doing something odd or even shocking by means of deceptive methods, human blockhead does neither and can be a risk to yourself and by proxy whomever pays your health insurance.

Some material I'd recommend looking into is Andrew Mayne's content. I'm not sure if it was in his hook through arm effect that he taught a clever way to do the setup under someone's nose but that method could be used to help get into doing the Saw effect by Sean Fields. Another source for shock and generally odd magic would be from the dvd under the same name, Geek Magic featuring Thomas Medina. Browsing through the menus of my copy they teach everything from how to eat glass (the geek magic way), drinking motor oil or if you aren't afraid of Ebola----drinking spit, and even a very nifty card trick that will have spectators hoping away in fright. Furthering, if you're looking for something more unorthodox I'd suggest looking into some of Bizzaro's products. One product I love from him is the Helter Skelter products, I bought the pamphlet first and then the DVD. Though this does border on stunt there are methods to "safely" perform the effect.

Have fun and be safe. Happy Halloween,

Keo

The Human Blockhead routine is one of the things that unless you know what you are doing you could seriously screw something up. Not to mention that biologically not everyone can perform it anyways. I'd stay away from the real stuff and just play with illusions. They are safer.

To that effect:
Harry Anderson: Needle through Arm
Voodoo Doll

Luna Book Test
Shutter Bug
The Relic
Sanctum

Heirloom Deluxe
Coin through nose- I've never done it but I have heard of it. It's a new effect I think.
Sean Fields: Saw
Houchin's Thread (though I much prefer my Belly Ribbon handling to his eyeball one)
Cookie Cutter by Bizarro

Razor Blade Swallow
Needle Swallow
Gypsie Thread

Glorpie
Ash on Arm

There is a way to fake glass eating by using boiled hard candy instead of glass, you'd just have to look for the method.

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Halloween is 10 days away - hardly enough time to learn and perfect a new routine, let alone an entirely new skill.

I have a copy of The Geek Magician's Cookbook and it's excellent. Covers just about everything one could want to do in the geek magic world. Along with some of the real side show stunts that aren't as dangerous.

Just understand that creating a really great performance with Geek Magic is just as difficult as creating a great performance with any other genre of magic. It's not just a matter of performing the mechanics of the stunt - you have to actually be a good showman to make it anything other than gross.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You do not have enough time to be able to properly learn Geek magik and do it safely.

With Halloween 10 days away. Why not just do Glorpie or Ash on Arm or maybe even the haunted Key. Those are safe to learn in a short period of time and fit reasonably well with the Halloween theme.

Jul 13, 2009
Christopher, I've not heard of that book before. Could you maybe give a brief review of it?

Oct 23, 2014
u do not have enough time to be able to properly learn Geek magik and do it safely.

With Halloween 10 days away. Why not just do Glorpie or Ash on Arm or maybe even the haunted Key. Those are safe to learn in a short period of time and fit reasonably well with the Ha

Unlike scam University of Kansas and 200-120 practice exam training program, our best ISEB and Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich online training courses provide you quick success in first try of Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Christopher, I've not heard of that book before. Could you maybe give a brief review of it?

I like it. It's got a lot of good information on a wide variety of tricks and stunts. It's broken down into "Real Geek" "Geek Magic" "Related to Geek" "Recipes" "Preparation" "Thoughts on Geek", and then also has further reading suggestions, references, recommended performers and a thanks section.

I've used the book to build up a not insignificant amount of our circus show and will probably do more with what's inside. I will say that some of the methods given are sort of the "secondary" or older methods and not the ones I would prefer, but when that is the case he usually mentions that it's because the better version is a marketed effect and by such and such so you can find it.

Jul 13, 2009
Ahh, awesome! I'll have to see about getting this book and place it next to my Swami Mantra :p Thanks for the help!

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
The Human Blockhead routine is one of the things that unless you know what you are doing you could seriously screw something up. Not to mention that biologically not everyone can perform it anyways. I'd stay away from the real stuff and just play with illusions. They are safer.

To that effect:
Harry Anderson: Needle through Arm
Voodoo Doll

Luna Book Test
Shutter Bug
The Relic
Sanctum

Heirloom Deluxe
Coin through nose- I've never done it but I have heard of it. It's a new effect I think.
Sean Fields: Saw
Houchin's Thread (though I much prefer my Belly Ribbon handling to his eyeball one)
Cookie Cutter by Bizarro

Razor Blade Swallow
Needle Swallow
Gypsie Thread

Glorpie
Ash on Arm

There is a way to fake glass eating by using boiled hard candy instead of glass, you'd just have to look for the method.

Cookie Cutter is Dan Sperry not mine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results