Tarbell System Manuscript?

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
So I have a relative who I learned was a magician, not only that he knew Houdini. All his stuff is sitting in my grandmas garage. I found a first edition copy of a book written by Houdini with a personal note to my relative from him and his wife, and a picture of him with Houdini. Apparently my relative (I think great uncle? or great grandfather) built tricks for magicians. The Houdini book was sold, and I have now come across a manuscript for the Tarbell System. Was this a common thing during the early 1920s? I have found that the manuscript was how the Tarbell system was originally released before being published. So does that mean I have something unique but not rare? Just trying to get some background on it. I don't want to handle it too much because it is old.

Attachments

• IMAG1074.jpg
    IMAG1074.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 87

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
. So does that mean I have something unique but not rare? Just trying to get some background on it. I don't want to handle it too much because it is old.

I think you have things a bit backwards there, you have something rare but not unique. If it was unique it would be rare by definition. I don't have any idea how many of these exist but it is not a version that you see often so you would be fairly safe to say it was rare (depending on what you consider rare, it sold 10,000 in that format from what I read)

I found one for sale for $125 with a quick search, yours looks to be in nicer condition though. It is a pretty cool find are you planning to keep it or sell it?

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
Thanks for clarifying, that is what I meant. I don't know how many were around either. I have found two for sale online and I would agree I have one in better condition.

I am not quite sure what to do with it as of yet. I have this and about 150 issues of a lot of magic magazines that I need to go through too. I like having old texts, granted these are not that old but still I find the stuff historical in a way

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results