Opinion on this effect?

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I came up with an utility move a few months back that can be used to do several effects such as a color change and the effect in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cBWDEzCH4
The effect in the video is my favorite to perform with the move and I think that it is a really strong effect to perform. I would love to hear what you guys think about the effect! Thanks.

Nov 4, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Neat!

This is definitely more elegant than using a double-backed card, which would accomplish the same effect.

How did you "write" on the back of the card, exactly?

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I just have a question - Why?

Why are you doing this trick?

When doing walk around magic, it's just part of my character where some of my stuff seems like I am coming up with on the spot where I say something like "Let's try something quickly..." and so on. This trick works perfectly for that scenario because I perform what would start off as an ambitious card style effect but it doesn't work. So Instead I "come up with the idea" to try something different and then do the revelation of the writing on the card. This doesn't work for everybody but it works for me and that's why I use it so consistently.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Seems like just another option for a "failure -> recovery" effect. What's wrong with that?

Who said it was wrong?

I don't think there's actually a "right" and "wrong" way to do magic. Personally, I want to do something that has a bigger reason than, "This is what I can do." A lot of magic is just a display of a skill. That doesn't really appeal to me, personally. I also think it's more profound if there's something behind what you're doing.

Personal opinion and preference.

Nov 4, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Who said it was wrong?

I don't think there's actually a "right" and "wrong" way to do magic. Personally, I want to do something that has a bigger reason than, "This is what I can do." A lot of magic is just a display of a skill. That doesn't really appeal to me, personally. I also think it's more profound if there's something behind what you're doing.

Personal opinion and preference.
Ah, okay, I see what you mean now.

I think there's more versatility to the move itself than just the one application with the white writing on the back of the card. This is a move, not a trick, so I think there could be some discussion of how this might flow within some different kinds of tricks.

For example, you might end up with a card that's signed on both back and front, but you don't want to show that the signatures are on the same card, so you could use this to disguise the signature on the back in preparation for a reveal that the ink was transferred...

Nov 12, 2014
Oh! That's interesting. The best part of this trick is that it comes out completely different of what you've thought it be.

Apart from it, every magic trick is eventually an illusion. A well planned gimmick.

Jul 13, 2014
This that was actually pretty good. Reminds me of something I also came up with a while back. It is, however a variation on an old concept known as the km move. Also I don't like how it starts. I personally would just go into it from a second deal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results