What's holding you back?

Nov 20, 2013
What is holding you back from getting paid as a magician? I'd like to know.

For me it's getting hired. I'd love to perform for a live audience and get paid for it. But no one in my area comes seeking magicians. I have come across 2 people over the course of a year.

So, what's holding you back?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
As much as I love magic my family comes first and right now it is best for us that I have most of my evenings open. Magic is a great side job though. I can chose what I want to do with it.

Aug 17, 2010
Winter.

Can't busk with gloves on, when the wind chill hurts your face.

Can't build the tip when everyone is in a hurry to get indoors.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Nothing stops me getting paid. When I do a gig, I get paid. I get the gigs by hunting them out and proving I'm the person they need to hire (Or by 4 Walling it - then I have to convince the audience members my show is what they need to do that day)

It's not easy - but that's why it's business.

Jan 3, 2015
Don't focus on the problem, focus on the solution (I feel like Tony Robbins right now...)

If your not getting gigs then here is how to get them:
- Make some YouTube videos (which link to your website with a booking page at the end of the video) and ask your friends to help share them on social media.
- Do street magic / busking and give out business cards after each performance (this method has got me well over 100 gigs alone).
- Approach restaurants and ask if they would like entertainment for people waiting for their meal to come on busy nights. I do this with 3 places (at a reduced rate) and then make the real $$$ when you hand out business cards at the end and get booked for gigs.

Good luck.

Nov 20, 2013
Alfie, me and my buddy do this thing called "20 ramen" Because when you mumble.. "20 ramen" sounds like Tony Robbins. So one day I sent my buddy a "20 ramen" message.

"Fight the disease, not the symptoms."

Then today I asked my buddy, (who is also a performer) to give me some 20 ramen advice. So he sent me "Fight the disease, not the symptoms." Then after I read that, I was performing within 5 minutes.

20 Ramen LIVES!

Nice tips though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results