Tips for good reactions?

Nov 20, 2013
What are your tips for getting better reactions?

My tip is to not be "holier than thou" feeling to your show and be yourself.

Also your true character should be your magic character.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Honestly, you can be whatever character you want to be. Whether your character is good or not depends on research, dedication and inner mechanics of character building.
Not saying we shouldn't portray ourselves; it's just that WE are the easiest 'go-to' character.
What if we aren't interesting enough to be portrayed as a character?

I will say that unless your persona is INTERESTING (not likeable, you can have a not-likable persona and still be interesting. I.E. Tommy Cooper and Amazing Jonathan), you will not get the reactions you want.

Audience involvement gets better reactions every time. But I think you need more involvement than 'pick a card, think of a number, etc.' In this case, you need heavy scripting and analysis to 'isolate' the situation so that the spectator is only going to go in the direction you want them to go. From there, you can routine it further to build suspense and reactions where you want it to.

You are the tour guide.

The 'holier than thou' attitude is a whole different ballgame that goes beyond character building.

Nov 20, 2013
the only thing I will argue is...
Your buddies think you are interesting enough act like you do with them.

My mentor once told me.. "You have to be naked."

He didn't mean physically have no close on, he meant don't be perfect and show your own imperfections.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Connect with your audience and make it about them, not you.

Also, make it something that people can relate to instead of simply being a display of skill which is what most magic on the market is these days.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
"Good reactions" don't always involve people screaming, running away or punching you about the head, face and neck area.

As Ari Gold from Entourage said it best: "Silence is golden, Lloyd."

Sometimes a silent reaction is the best reaction. The moment you try to take away that silence, you will have lost your audience. A good example of this would be on David Blaine: Magic Man. There is a moment where an effect leaves someone completely speechless.

Not saying this is ALWAYS the case, but don't always look for a big scream.

Jan 3, 2015
ChristopherT sums it up really.

I'd also add that it's important to do the kind of effects that people remember.

So many times people have said 'I had a magician at my wedding last month', when I ask what tricks they did, they reply 'Something with a cup and he could shuffle cards really well'.

If you make the trick memorable then 5 years later when they book you for another party they will say 'Can you do the trick you did last time where you put my phone into your balloon?'

To me, if the effect is so powerful that it sticks in their mind then the reactions are gonna be good...

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Sometimes you can also help people react by helping them know what to do. People are so insanely guided by how other people react. If they see no one clapping, they wont clap, if they see other clapping, they will clap. People want to do what's appropriate. When I do a walk around gig, I always get the first table laughing and clapping so loud with the routine I do. Form there, every other table I meet knows how to react and they will follow suit regardless of the routine.

I love Pete Holmes' take on the problem of reacting to magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8G_VAuEnk

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results