Wilson's Double Take vs. Montierth's DL Project

Oct 23, 2014
Hey guys, I've been a little flustered with my DL'e and I'm looking into further resources (already have RRTCM and Crash Course 2).

I've heard nothing but praise about Greg Wilson's Double Take, except that he focuses a little more on tricks than the nuances of the techniques. Also, it's obviously an old product, but that doesn't bother me much. I was ready to pull the trigger, but then I read about Liam Montierth's Double Lift Project, and it has great reviews as well. From what I hear, it's not as comprehensive as Wilson's, but he touches on a lot of great nuances.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both or even just one or the other. I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm also interested to know which better covers the pinky count.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 28, 2015
Hey guys, I've been a little flustered with my DL'e and I'm looking into further resources (already have RRTCM and Crash Course 2).

I've heard nothing but praise about Greg Wilson's Double Take, except that he focuses a little more on tricks than the nuances of the techniques. Also, it's obviously an old product, but that doesn't bother me much. I was ready to pull the trigger, but then I read about Liam Montierth's Double Lift Project, and it has great reviews as well. From what I hear, it's not as comprehensive as Wilson's, but he touches on a lot of great nuances.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both or even just one or the other. I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm also interested to know which better covers the pinky count.

Thanks in advance!

Personally I recommend:

The Double Lift by Jason England

&

Pinky Count by Jason England

For about $14 bucks you get yourself two great lessons from one of the top card experts in the world + you're supporting T11 and one of their artist.

But to answer your question, 'Double Take' & "DL Project" are pretty different. DL Project is less of an 'encyclopaedia' of techniques, but rather focuses on the ones Montier consider essential, and the ones that they think you would use in most situations. Running time is similar, and all the tricks taught are totally different as well. The main similarity would be in covering the get ready techniques, as there are only so many, but aside from that, it's two different looks at the same topic.

-KZ.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Kenneth:

My recomendation would be Card College 1 and 2. You get the DL and much much more.

Send me a PM with your Skype contact information if you would like to work on your DL. I don't think you need more methods, I think you might just need some pointers.

Sep 2, 2007
London
In my opinion Greg Wilson's Double Take is one of the best resources available for beginner magicians. I say "beginner", but I've been studying magic for about fifteen years and I just watched it again the other day because there was something I wanted to get from it. There's so much to learn from Greg's card handling, performance skills and routining aside from the tricks and moves he teaches. If you want to learn double lifts and a whole load of additional stuff to make you a better magician all round, go for Double Take.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
While we are talking about the Double Lift, what resources out there for one-handed double lifts?

There are four things you need to do for a double lift: 1) holding the deck; 2) getting a break; 3) holding the break and 4) doing the turnover. I'll address them in the reverse order.

Doing the turn over is always done by the dominant hand so that doesn't impact the ability to do it one handed.

Holding a break is always done with the non-dominant hand. If you are not able to hold a break with your non-dominant hand, you will need to learn a strike double lift or a modification of a standard RRTCM double lift where your right thumb gets the break and then holds it (rather than transfering to left fourth finger). There are also other ways of holding a break with the left hand without using the fourth finger such as using the flesh at the base of your thumb.

Getting a break can be done with either hand and the classic method uses your dominant hand's thumb. There also are ways of using gimmicks as a replacement for the break.

If you can't hold the deck in your hand, you will need to do a tabled double lift. See here: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?cat=1240. I don't know how to do that, but have four of the listed resources and can work with you to find one that works.

Oct 23, 2014
Kenneth:

My recomendation would be Card College 1 and 2. You get the DL and much much more.

Send me a PM with your Skype contact information if you would like to work on your DL. I don't think you need more methods, I think you might just need some pointers.

I completely agree, David. I'm not really interested in new methods (with the exception using a pinkie count to get a break), but I am really looking for pointers on the nuances and details of the Knock Out and Strike doubles. I was hoping one of these sources would have some advice on those. In all honesty, though, it's probably a matter of practice and tinkering--most knacky moves are. I think I'll hold off on any purchases for now.

I will probably take you up on your offer to jam, though. I'll message you when I find some time!

Thanks, David!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results