New One-Handed concepts // 'Hat Tip' & 'OH Dear!'

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
First off, I'm only interested in one-handed cardistry; no intention to move to two handed stuff in the future.

With that, I've been messing around with some one-handed ideas and here's the result--at least it's one of them:

Concept Test for 'OH Dear!' (mk.2)

it isn't the CLEANEST looking flourish ever--it's still a work in progress.

'OH Dear!' was made out of finding odd ways of holding the deck at the start of a flourish and seeing what happens. This is the second version of the flourish. The first version was the vertical packet flip and ending with a side-merge; not TOO exciting.

The new version uses the same vertical packet flip and a wrist-twist, gravity-assisted--screw it. 'Gravity Drop'. It's weird and I don't really know how to describe it accurately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I erased the initial video and posted and updated version of 'OH DEAR!'

I'm about 75% proficient in the right hand. I'm going to start working on the left hand so I can do a left handed video for the tutorial.

Speaking of which, I started initial scripting and video construction on the tutorial for 'OH DEAR!'

The idea is to have it as a free tutorial on The Wire in about 2 months. At this point, it depends on how fast I can get proficient in the left hand. I'll need the time to script and edit anyhow, but I'm chomping at the bit on this. I'm excited.

'Hat Tip' is on the backburner as I just hashed out the first part of 'Salsa Dancer'

Last edited by a moderator:

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I'd like to get the tutorial for OH DEAR! made soon. But I won't get the camera equipment until March and I NEED to cut down the time it takes to actually do the flourish. I'm currently trying to knock two seconds off as wel as work on making the finish look cleaner.

All I will guarantee is that it'll be a free download--if Theory11 accepts it

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Looks so good. Keep working on :D

Thanks for the kudos! I figured out how to make the darn thing look cleaner. So I think I'm ready to start shooting

I'm going to do the tutorial sooner than expected. I won't be able to get my fancy-schmancy tripod and adapter until April-May. I have a dashboard monopod that I can stick to the refrigerator.

Not the most ideal setup for me. But for chrissakes, there are tutorials on the Wire that are ALL crotch-shot. So i think I'll be okay if I just do shooting in the middle of the kitchen--without any crotch-shots

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Just got all the filming finished and edited. Would anyone be interested in giving the finished product a 'second set of eyes' before I submit it to The Wire?

P.S. the flourish is going to be free on The Wire--I just don't want to put bad product out there.

Nov 9, 2013
Just got all the filming finished and edited. Would anyone be interested in giving the finished product a 'second set of eyes' before I submit it to The Wire?

P.S. the flourish is going to be free on The Wire--I just don't want to put bad product out there.
You should upload the trailer to YouTube.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Looks original and cool but maybe could you find a way to performe it a little bit faster?

Of course. I will get a faster clip this evening. Also, I have to reshoot an entire part of the right-handed tutorial. I kept calling my middle finger my pinky; making that entire part absolutely confusing.

Looks like I have some work to do. Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Nov 9, 2013
There seems to be generally two parts to it. I think that if the transition between the parts were smoother, then you will have a higher chance of making it.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
There seems to be generally two parts to it. I think that if the transition between the parts were smoother, then you will have a higher chance of making it.

Yeah, it's not the fastest flourish in the world. Would it be better if I had more emphasis on the second part instead of the vertical packet drop?

If so, I have an idea. But the flourish will become a lot harder--which'll make it a bit fun to rework

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I think that the "vertical drop" needs to be faster.

Really? I thought I had the vertical packet down as fast as I could get it. It's a bit rather involved. I've been trying to get the deck 'flip' down faster one I flip my arm 180 degrees. At last that's what I've been trying to do with it lately. But it's a rather slow flourish

I thought about what you said yesterday about the need for a smoother transition. And I agree. I have the tutorials broken down into three parts; and one of them is the transition from the vertical packet flip and...well, step 3.
So I messed around for a good part of the morning and afternoon with trying to see if I could do anything with the second half of the flourish ONLY and here's what I came up with.

http://instagram.com/p/zQ3ZiXwOBd/

The good news is that the tutorial would be a LOT shorter and I don't think a left-handed tutorial would need to be made to make it easier for lefties. The downside is that this new thing is balls-out hard--especially since I have small hands. I havent believed in the whole 'small hands' argument until I tried this. I'm still working on it. But man I'm having to stretch out my fingers like crazy to get it to work. Now it's just a matter of making it faster and making it look 'continuous'. I'm NOT dropping the deck one it of five tries. Pretty bad right now.
On top of that, I figured a way to make the packet separation go a bit faster and look more 'flourishy' but I would need to stop dropping the whole deck first.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
All right, here's the entire left handed tutorial for those interested. Still need to re-shoot 'part 3' for the right handed tutorial and need to finish up a couple more clips for the intro.

I just watched it and I found in one part that I call my middle finger my thumb--so I'll need to re-shoot part 3 for the left hand as well....great.
Other than that, how's it look?

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
To be honest... It's not bad.
Here's what I think:

(Good) - You have a solid tutorial.
(Good) - You have a script (no awkward "um"s)

(Meh) - Your performance is a little awkward, the part where you collapse the two packets into one looks a tad uneasy. Perhaps a month or two of more practice? It all depends on how professional you want this to look. (Unless it's free, in which case people shouldn't complain.)
(Meh) - Your background is a tad distracting. Perhaps a white (or any other solid colored) wall? Again this ties to professionalism.
(Optional Meh) - You nails are also a bit distracting. Okay, it's cool to have bonding time with your daughter. However for first timers it may seem a bit odd with painted nails and a manly voice. If you wish to keep it (and it ties into who you are (like Penn Jillette)) then that's cool. However you could also remove it and repaint afterwards.

Good luck!
-Bryant

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results