Troy Street Magic

Feb 11, 2014
Hey guys, as many of you know Troy Street Magic has now been airing on SyFi. I have watched the first two episodes and so far i am pretty impressed. His sleights seem to be extremely polished and everything looks great. Heres my question, out of what he does on the show do you think any of it is a set up paid audience or camera effects? I ask this because i hate when magicians use camera effects and paid audiences. I truly lose a lot of respect for a Magician when he or she does that. I love the tricks that involve pure skill, gimmicks are fine of course but fake camera tricks and fake reactions from people is what i dont like. Many tricks he performs just simply look to crazy and impossible to think that he doesnt use camera tricks or pays his audience. I really hope he is just that talented and that he doesnt use these tricks. What do you guys think??

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
I think that a lot of magicians here on the forums don't exactly know what the term 'Set up' means. For example, if David Blaine does performs Daniel Garcia's Fraud with a borrowed bill, immediately magicians say 'stooge' but how do you know it's a stooge? How do you know that they didn't use a magic method to get the bill onto the spectator? Again using a setup is not wrong in anyway, if you ask a spectator beforehand to say the number 27, how is that spectator going to know what is going to happen after the number 27? If you borrow a ring from the setup spectator, for example, and vanish the ring and then they name 27 and their ring appears in a locked box inside the trunk of the 27th taxi, it's still darn good effect to everyone even the 'Set up' spectator.

My final answer is yes I think that there are set up effects in Troy's show and in Dynamo's show and in Blaine's show and most of the magic shows on tv these days but who cares? At the end of the day It's still good magic.

Sorry for the rant.

Dec 5, 2014
The drawbridge trick at the end of the first episode screamed editing trick/false audience to me. Now I could be wrong and I'd love to be, but I just don't see how that's possible without the aid of camera effects.

Feb 16, 2015
Obviously his tricks just seem to be impossible. Camera tricks and paid audience is not magic to me. It's more like theater and filmed entertainment. Wizard wars claims that there is no camera tricks used in their production. But there is definitely a paid audience. A lot of tricks can't be done without having a paid audience.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA

The truth is that most magic specials on TV rely on the same kinds of principles and effects that we do, and they do their best to present the tricks the way a live laymen would see them. If some funny business is visible to the camera but not the live spectators, they cut it.

The reason they do that is not to cheat, but to make sure the home audience has the same experience that the live one does. To create that experience for the on-the-scene crowd, they use magic principles, and to recreate that for the people at home they use editing and camera placement so the home audience is more likely to "miss" the same things that were missed by the live group. Sometimes it means removing the act of writing from a billet trick, and sometimes it means having a "stooge" (which to me is no more bothersome than the use of a thumb tip).

There are TV tricks that only work on television, but those tend to be sparsely used. I've watched a LOT of the newer magic specials, and the format for many of them seems to be to use mostly or entirely "legitimate" magic for as much of the show as possible, then finish with a "TV trick" that's usually a TV remix of some classic grand illusion.

I've noticed that many people assume that most of the tricks on TV are done with paid audiences and camera tricks, but my observation doesn't reflect this. Some TV magic is used to heighten those shows for TV audiences, but from what I can tell the majority of that magic can be done without stooges or camera tricks.

Magic is absolutely a form of theatre, and as such the audience is taken into account when it's created. TV magic looks the way it does and is built the way it is because it's presented to a TV audience that consists mostly of laymen. To make that work, they have to do different things than if they were performing on a stage or elsewhere. That's the nature of theatre. Your venue and audience has a heavy impact on how you present.

Finally...the stooge thing. Stooges are a method for deception, like pretty much everything else we use. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not any better or worse than having a stage crew working to make sure a play goes smoothly. To be used properly, the stooge principle takes the same level of study and understanding that any other method does. There's really no reason to frown on it the way a lot of performers do.

Feb 22, 2015
I think it is clear to me that some of the content of the show is staged. I started watching it but lost interest when I specially saw the one when he puts pieces of papers with tomato soup ingredients In a cooking pan and how "magically " he has tomato soup inside pan . That is very obvious video editing and paid actors , there is no way in hell that happened

Dec 29, 2011
The truth is that most magic specials on TV rely on the same kinds of principles and effects that we do, and they do their best to present the tricks the way a live laymen would see them. If some funny business is visible to the camera but not the live spectators, they cut it...

That was extremely well said, read this one.

Feb 8, 2016
Camera tricks and paid audience is not magic to me. It's more like theater and filmed entertainment. Wizard wars claims that there is no camera tricks used in their production.???

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results