Silent Stage Show HELP!! please

Jan 17, 2015
In June I'll be doing an on stage magic show and there will be approximately 1000 people in the auditorium (mainly students).

I'm good with cards but due to the fact that it is a stage show and I cannot speak I will not be doing it.

I will be doing silent act with music in the background.

I have a red multiplying balls set, and I am also practicing thimble manipulation.

Should I stick with manipulation, or the Fiber Optics rope routine? I am already quite fluent in presenting Fiber Optics but I fear without talking it will be quite dull.

So what should I do? Ball and thimble manipulation, or Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders?

Thanks

Dec 17, 2013
I do not have knowledge on those two but you could try 52 shades of red by shin lim. It involves cards so if you can hook up a camera and have it projected on a screen or something. Ball and thimble seems more traditional imo. Go with your gut.

somecallmetim96

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2013
Dallas, TX
www.youtube.com
Content of the show is good but you should also focus on practicing your movements. Watch Shin Lim's performance of his 52 Shades of Red and forget the magic he is doing. Watch his movements. When you are doing a silent act you have to move a lot, your arms, your body, if you are still most of the time people will get bored. Also find some videos of Bizzaro performing his mime like act where he doesn't speak.
Good luck!

Jan 17, 2015
Thanks @mrcheeseman @somecallmetim96

However, I cannot use a projector so I cannot do 52 shades of red by Shim Lim.

Therefore, I'm limited to Richard Sanders Fiber Optics, Ball Manipulation, Thimble Manipulation and maybe the Miser's Dream. Which of them is the best?

I have about 4 minutes.

Thanks!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Spoken or silent. Both have their pros and cons.

i would say fiber optics would be great. The routine looks great if you can do all of it fluently. I'd say you're on the right track. Although wouldn't thimble work be too small for stage work?

Because it is a silent routine; two things:

1) HEAVY emphasis on body movements, how you dress, and expressions. If you haven't already, research the work of mimes.

2) do your routine TO the music. This MAY apply if you're doing ambient music. CAREFUL music selection is an absolute must here. Watch Danny Mcbride's 'Misers Dream' routine for ideas here.

ChristopherT is right. Whatever you have practiced the most is your safest bet here so that you can focus more on body movements, expressions, and music synchronization.

In any case. Good luck. I hope this helps in some capacity. And I'd love to see how you're progressing up to the show and how the show actually goes for you.

Jan 17, 2015
But will it look like me endlessly doing some stupid stuff on a rope? That would be boring.

Is there any possible patter I could mime? Thanks

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Not sure how you would mime patter, but be more surprised at what happens.

In the case of silent routine, maybe try to mime what SHOULD happen one way (not the way the trick works), then be surprised when it happens another (the way the trick is supposed to work).

Just an idea.

Jan 17, 2015
@MrHurley I'm thinking failing...like I am showing the ropes and suddenly the ends fall off, knots don't work, it becomes a loop, they split into two ropes, their lengths become different, etc.

What do you think? Thanks

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results