Essential Card Magic Effects

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
First off, I'm rather new to magic; 7 months to be exact. While there is endless literature to be had for magic--especially card magic. The thing I'm wondering is not what tricks are essential, but that EFFECTS are essential.
What SHOULD a magician know in terms of card magic effects.
As of right now, I'm trying to learn a one-handed pass as it seems like 'pass' is an effect that is essential to card magic. I'm just trying to find out what 'skill-based' card magic effects are essential for card magic.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Based on this post and your "Knuckle-Busting Card Magic" thread, I think you might have slightly confused the definitions of the terms "move" and "effect". A pass is not an effect, it's a move that you would use to achieve an effect. So, for example, in the context of an Ambitious Card Routine, you might execute a pass to achieve the effect of the card jumping to the top of the deck. I suppose a simple way of explaining the difference is this: The performer does moves, the audience sees effects.

So, if you're talking about what moves are essential in card magic then yes, a couple of variants of the pass are always good to have, plus some alternative controls like the spread cull, jog shuffle and side steal. Then developing on from the side steal, it's good to get some other palming down, so a good top palm and a bottom palm could be added in. Then if you also have one or two good forces, a multiple lift that you're comfortable then your set to go for most classic card effects.

If, however, you are talking about effects, then "You pick a card and I find it" is the most tried and tested plot in all magic (even more so, I'd wager than "You have a coin behind your ear"), so you could do with having a personalised way of presenting that. Ambitious Card is a logical development from that idea, but after that you'd probably want to get away from things using a selected card, so I'd recommend learning a four ace trick of some sort (an assembly, spectator cuts the aces, Twisting the Aces, something like that). In real life, if you had those three tricks down, rehearsed to perfection and with an interesting and engaging presentation, you'd have a pretty good walk-around set.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Regarding 'effects', I had ChristopherT explain it to me a while back. And rereading over it and what you said; I feel like Tim Allen in Home Imptovement after talking to Wilson.

But you did mention it with essential moves. The plots can vary from performer to performer. I'm looking for card magic archetypes; which you mentioned, thank you!

The goal im trying to do is narrow down the best/cleanest to do of the archetypes and see if they would be a good fit. Again, like you mentioned, honing in on just a few tricks can make an amazing set.

Jan 17, 2015
Pick a card: Use a good patter and it won't be boring. You could pretend it's muscle reading, spread the cards, and hold their wrists.

ACR: You can use basic sleights, harder sleights, passes, controls, colour changes, flourishes, one-handed cuts, hot shot cuts(daryl), basically everything you've learned to find the audiences' card.

Colour Changes: Very visual stuff and most laymen love visual magic. Also magicians (check out Lennart Green).

Stuff that happens in their hands: Las Vegas Leaper, Doc Daley's Last Trick, a card that changes into another in their hand...laymen don't believe that you can make magic happen in their hands because they think they are watching it.

As to moves I believe, a strong double lift, nice looking cuts/shuffle and a blind shuffle, a few methods for card controlling, palming, buckling the bottom card and definitely the pass is enough (double undercuts are a bit obvious for people I perform for) for most of the hardest hitting tricks.

As always, with good misdirection your moves do not have to be flawless e.g. my hands are small so a bit of the card usually sticks out (except for a few angles where you couldn't see it).

Hope this helps!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'll echo what others have said in terms of moves: a good double lift, several forces, several methods to control cards to the top or bottom, a false shuffle, a good false cut, a card fold, a color change or two, mastery of the overhand shuffle controls, mastery of basic riffle shuffle controls (i.e. retaining top and bottom stock at a minimum), a top palm, a gambler's cop, Hamman Count, Elmsley / Ghost Count and Jordan Count. Notice a pass isn't on that list. I don't think a pass is essential because you rarely need to reverse a cut. Most people use a pass to control a single card and for that it is probably overkill.

There is a Roberto Giobbi article in Genii a while back on the 25 most basic card plots which you can find here:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Card_Magic_Classification

Dec 5, 2014
I'm of the opinion that there's not really any absolutely essential effects that should be learned. There are those that will be stronger than others based on your own presentation style, but as for absolutely essential...I just don't feel like there's anything that anyone absolutely should HAVE TO HAVE in their repertoire. I am of the opinion, though, that if you have the right presentation you can make the most basic of card effects look like gold, though. I'll definitely emphasize presentation over effect all day long.

On the other hand, I do believe if you're going to call yourself a magician there are more than a few basic sleights you should have mastered. And I think RealityOne nailed the essential list pretty well. I'll echo that I don't think the pass is absolutely essential. It's a strong move in the right hands, but I don't feel that it's one of those MOST HAVE moves.

I think the most important advice anyone ever gave me was "Do not be afraid to fail, for it is through these failures that we hone our craft and become better at what we do. There is no better teaching method than cold hard experience out in the real world."

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I completely agree that presentation plays a much bigger part in any performance. There is just so many card tricks out there that it's easy to get overwhelmed; and I'm in agreeance that there is no 'correct' path to go, I think it's too easy to lose sight of the 'better' path to travel and just get lulled into learning a bunch of tricks that make way for others and just waste time. I'm just looking for guidance and a way to see if I can spend more time with stuff I'm going to use for a long time.
And the list David put up is a great list to work off of!
I should have some DVDs in by the end of the month and see if I can apply David's list to the one-handed greatness that is Rene Lavand.

And for sake of specifics; I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with 'Mechanics Pass'. But it seems like more of a one-handed color change than it is an actual 'pass', even though the name calls itself such--unless I am completely missing something. I (now) know that a Pass controls a card the top of bottom of a deck. But 'Mechanics Pass' doesn't seem to do that--which is what confused me a bit in the original post.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
And for sake of specifics; I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with 'Mechanics Pass'. But it seems like more of a one-handed color change than it is an actual 'pass', even though the name calls itself such--unless I am completely missing something. I (now) know that a Pass controls a card the top of bottom of a deck. But 'Mechanics Pass' doesn't seem to do that--which is what confused me a bit in the original post.

A pass switches the position of the top packet of a deck with the bottom packet of the deck. That is why I referred to it as reversing a cut (which I believe that is the use Erdnase suggested, although it isn't practical in a real card game). If a cut puts the bottom packet on the top, a pass moves the top packet back to the bottom. You are essentially controlling two packets but the result is the bottom card of the top packet becomes the bottom card of the deck and the top card of the bottom packet becomes the top card of the deck. Thus, the effect could be a card coming to the top of the deck or a card going to the bottom of the deck.

That being said, there are other ways of controling a single card which have advantages such as being easier (overhand shuffle control), being almost invisible (losing control or convincing control), getting the card to your hand (side steal palm), etc. The method of control depends on the needs of the effect.

Jul 13, 2010
There is just so many card tricks out there that it's easy to get overwhelmed; and I'm in agreeance that there is no 'correct' path to go, I think it's too easy to lose sight of the 'better' path to travel and just get lulled into learning a bunch of tricks that make way for others and just waste time. I'm just looking for guidance and a way to see if I can spend more time with stuff I'm going to use for a long time.
Therefore I would suggest, if Card Magic is really what you want to do, getting the Card College Series.
This is the best structured written course in Card Magic I've found. This is a path you could take. It's definitely not the only or best way for everyone, but it's something that guides you through the jungle of Card Magic.

Some weeks ago I've worked through CC (I still do) and found a Vernon shuffle which is superb in my opinion, but somehow totally missed before.
And a tip about pacing which helped me tremendously, and a lot of other small helpful tips.

Don`t know why, but there's always something I've not paid enough attention to. Definitely not something I read once and never touch again. In contrary.

The only downfall is if you're not interested in indepth descriptions where the author pays attention to every single detail (which honestly can be boring at times, but in the end it's worth it!), it's maybe not the best choice.

Aaron Fisher's course is an alternative if a book is not an option for your. I don't own it, but I know that Aaron is similar to Giobbi when it comes to structure and detail and you cannot go wrong with this.

Jan 17, 2015
There are DVDs on Card College if I'm not mistaken...
Aaron Fisher is quite a good teacher! And funny too!

If you want to advance quicker with less details get Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic. I wouldn't recommend it (it's more of a supplement) but it depends on your situation

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results