Favorite trick?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What is your favorite trick and why? If you can't decide on a favorite, just pick one that you like and explain why you like it.

My favorites don't really fit into the 'trick' category - it's more a system. So I'll pick one of the things I've been working on for some time.

I call this trick "The Psychic Game". It's largely based on Spidey's Out Of My Mind. I use some aspects from Luke Jermay's Colorblind, and I also use some aspects from a similar routine by Hector Chadwick. I forget exactly what Hector calls it, though.

The trick goes like this: The performer talks about Spiritualists and how they used to play at guessing which color a playing card was from a a shuffled deck. He gives some history to this game. He then proposes to play it with a volunteer. From a fully shuffled deck, the performer takes 18 cards. He gives the packet of cards to the volunteer who riffle shuffles them. The performer takes the cards back and deals them into two piles, one for the volunteer and one for himself. He takes his packet and fans it toward himself, explaining the volunteer should look at the cards briefly to see they are random. The cards are placed face down on the table. The performer explains he has a theory that the Spiritualists were simply learning to trust their intuition. He then tells the volunteer to take the top card and look at it - He then declares the color of the card. The performer does this 8 more times, increasing in speed. There is one card left - The performer asks the volunteer to look at the card. He asks the volunteer to hold his free hand up, and places his palm against theirs. After focusing for a moment, he declares the exact value of the final card.

I don't really perform this one much, because it doesn't actually suit my character, but I really like it. First off - it's not a pick-a-card trick. I'm so bored of pick-a-card tricks. I like that this hints at being real while not having to be super serious. The method is pretty clean if I might say so myself. It's FASDIU, uses no gimmicks, no complicated sleight of hand. There's a bit of mental work but it's not hard to master. There's a variety of presentational routes one could take. I use this one because it suits my character - a lot of what I do is based around intuition so that much suits me.

So what do you like to do, and why do you like it?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I'm going to split this into two categories. I have a character that's for children and I'm working on a character for adult audiences.

For kids, my favorite trick is Magical Sneakers (Color Test) by Tenyo Magic. It's a neat packet trick that has two different performances, but Color Test (the second presentation of the trick) happens in the spectators hands. My character is a 'magicians assistant' and makes the child out to be the magician. This is one of 16 tricks in my repertoire that proves that the child CAN make magic happen by their own hands, but this is one that just floors people every time it's done. It gets some of the best reactions I have seen so far. Plus, I get to say that kids DO LIKE 'card magic'.

For adult audiences. My favorite trick that I'm trying to learn right now is Raise Rise by Ray Kosby. It can be an impromptu trick, it's unusual looking, and (done right) looks extremely smooth and impossible. Just look at the video and tell me that the routine ISN'T flat out nuts. Thing is, it's one of the hardest card tricks out there. AND it's one-handed. The difficulty, the way it looks, the fact that it's not a trick that is done or mentioned very often, and the fact that it's one handed has immediate appeal for me to learn.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
My favorite effect with cards is Jokers wild. It's just a couple of color changes in a row, but with a nice presentation and it just makes people smile every single time. It's quick and fun. I've done it thousands of times. It's my go to opener.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I LOVE PK Touches. I'm currently working on a routine right now an I love the versatility of it.

My all time favorite creation is my effect Electro. I am very proud of it.

If I ever had the money to build and produce it I would love to perform Jim Steinmeyer's Windshear. It is such a great visual piece of magic.

Sep 2, 2007
London
As I can't pick a favourite, I'll tell you about one that I've been working on recently. It's Dai Vernon's "Twisting the Aces". I've fallen in love with this trick because of the challenges it presents if you're trying to turn it from a puzzling curiosity into something personal and powerful that creates a genuine connection with an audience.

For one thing, no-one picks a card, which is often used as a shortcut to a spectator investing something of themselves in the trick. So, how can an audience been prevailed upon to feel, as well as see, magic?

Also, how can you solve the problem of predictability? At its core, "Twisting the Aces" is the same effect four times. What can be done with pacing and presentation to create attention-holding drama right up until the last revelation?

As anyone who's played with the original handling published in More Inner Secrets will know, there are a few slightly odd actions described. Therefore, another challenge is to adapt these actions to make them congruent with natural mannerisms and the chosen presentation without departing from Vernon's original intentions.

To me, taking on and overcoming these kind of challenges is the joy in magic. It's taking a sequence of actions, maybe combined with a secret prop or a little-known scientific principle, and transforming them into something that causes geniune amazement and emotion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results