Basics

May 22, 2015
New in the Forums and in the art of Magic. Can you lead me to some books, videos and whatnot to kickstart the passion? Interested in Close-up Card Magic. TIA

May 21, 2015
The book "Magic In Mind" is a good book if you're just starting out. Also "Magic by Misdirection", and "Showmanship for Magicians" by Dariel Fitzkee are also great starting books, and excellent reads even if you're not a beginner.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Jason's video has a good list of books. I would suggest taking one of two routes. The first route is the "classics" route which follows the beginning of Jason's list:

Royal Road to Card Magic
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
Scarne on Card Tricks
then
Expert Card Technique
Card Control
The Magic of LePaul
Counts Cuts and Subtleties

The second route is to get the Card College books. Start with the first two volumes -- they were designed to be a complete course in card magic... before the next three books were written. Also, pick up Card College Light. If you like the books, then pick up the rest of the sets (Volumes 3 through 5 and Lighter and Lightest). I like Giobbi's writing and teaching style much better than the classics.

A lot of my favorite close-up routines (card and otherwise) come from Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment series. Great books to pick up after you have mastered the basics.

I'd hold off on Fitzkee until you have some experience -- it is mostly his opinion on magic theory and not teaching sleights or effects.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results