Cutting woman in half... long ways

Mar 17, 2015
alright... so... i think i had a genius idea and i just want to know if it has been done before, has anybody ever cut a woman in half... longways...? meaning top to bottom, across the nose. i think it will look amazing either way, but i just want to know how original it actually is.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Yes. He even opened each half and had her waive. There is video of that illusion on YouTube.

The earliest vertical sawing in print that I can find is Joseph Ovette's "Miss Boots" which was published in 1974 in "The Conjurors' Book of Stage Illusions." I think the illusions in that book were originally published in Conjurors' Magazine, so the initial publication date may be earlier.

There also is an earlier illusion by Robert Hardin called Aztec Lady where a standing assistant is split in half both vertically and horizontally. There also is a performance video of that on YouTube. Unfortunately, I find that performance to be somewhat confused between a sawing illusion and a vanishing illusion -- it seems that Harbin couldn't decide what the illusion was.

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Mar 17, 2015
yes, i watched the video on youtube, and i understand what realityone is saying about waving buuuut you dont fully understand what id be doing. youd be able to see both halves of her head separate and move as one but youd be able to see her actual face and all her appendages pulled apart

Mar 17, 2015
i am not familiar enough with terminology, but like when they have the woman lay down on table and they put a simple bracket over waist and they saw then they pull table apart, like that essentially but from top to bottom, youd be able to see each half of her body in full view and separate

Mar 17, 2015
okay thanks for help, i am pretty sure then that mine is unique because unlike his, you can see both halves in the same way he shows, but at the same time. unless you have someone who has done that before?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
In Copperfield's you could see both halves at the same time, but he chose not to. I think this has been done using a plexyglass box also.

Why is it so important that it is original? Nothing in magic is original -- its just a variation of something that has come before it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results