Saturday Night Contest - Creative Challenge

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great weekend! If you caught this week's LIVE edition of Expose, we had special guest Calen Morelli answer your questions and give insight into his creative process. Calen is a creative powerhouse, and I was able to experience this first hand when he started his 365 Days of Magic project a few years ago. Since then, Calen has been one of the top creators in magic, and the things he has come up with over the years has been nothing short of mind-blowing. We are using Calen's insane creative power as inspiration for this week's contest.

What's the challenge? Create an original effect using items you can find around your house. For example, you could use clothing that you can find in your closet, snack foods or drinks you find in your pantry, books on the shelf, rubber bands, etc. ANYTHING that you find in your house is fair game this week. The only thing we ask is that you NOT use playing cards. We will pick the winner based on overall creativity, originality, and execution. We want to see an effect that is outside of the box and will catch us by surprise - something that Calen might create.

Film and upload your performance to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram and post the link in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 7:30pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, June 21st. Once time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points, and your choice of either BREAK by Uday Jadugar or SUBROSA by Jason England, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world. We're excited to see what you guys can get cooked up. Get the creative juices flowing, and get to it! You have 24 hours.

May 2, 2015
I am having problems with my Intsagram, so I might be a few minutes late. Is that alright? Sorry, and good luck to ervyone!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
this week is going to be a tough one; nothing but great entries.

I'll say that this is the first challenge in which I made an entry, watched the videos up to that point, and opted out.

I'd be surprised if a winner is announced this evening

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
this week is going to be a tough one; nothing but great entries.

I'll say that this is the first challenge in which I made an entry, watched the videos up to that point, and opted out.

I'd be surprised if a winner is announced this evening
You should post it anyway - even now. The goal isn't for us to judge eachother, just to have fun getting creative. I try to put something together as often as I can. It's often not great, but it's good for us to do the challenge of it.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
You should post it anyway - even now. The goal isn't for us to judge eachother, just to have fun getting creative. I try to put something together as often as I can. It's often not great, but it's good for us to do the challenge of it.

Well. I ended up deleting everything. I kept making 'suspicious moves' and couldn't make it work as clean as it could have been.

On a plus note, I ended up using a prop I haven't worked with in a while, but I couldn't make it work for video.

Reactions: Justin.Morris

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
In short, it was making some junk mail spin on the end of the pencil without the pencil moving.

But I seriously need to keep in mind the 'fun' aspect of the contests, as I've lost sight of that and have become too competitive--despite that I'm a complete magic and artistry rookie

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys, after much deliberation, we have decided on a winner. This one was really tough, as there were a lot of great submissions. Like Brett said, it was nothing but great entries. This made the judging task very difficult, but I am so glad it was because the level of creativity you guys bring to the table is top notch stuff. Well done to everyone!

We chose this week's winner based on what was outside the box, and what would catch us by surprise - an effect Calen might create. Creativity and originality were the major keys this week, so with that said, our winner is Jordan Amystika! Congrats! We picked Jordan's entry because we did not expect to see that at all - the lightbulb slam was something that caught us off guard. The idea was very clever and original; we haven't seen something like that before. Jordan, please contact our support team and they will hook you up with your prize!

We would also like to extend some well-deserved honorable mentions, as these guys made the competition extremely tough. Thank you to antoferra, bengabing, AbdullahMagic, and Justin Morris for doing great work!

All in all, you guys killed it this week, hands down. The challenge was difficult, but it's challenges like these that allow us to dig into our creative side and try something different - step outside of our comfort zone. We'll see you guys later this week for a new SNC! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results