Royal Road to Card Magic DVD

Hello. I definitley recommend Paul Wilsons DVD's. However, I also recommend that you get the book also. Paul Wilson himself recommends the same thing. If I'm wrong, please forgive me, but I'm assuming you're new to card magic. It's always better to begin learning from a book than a video. Reason being that when you learn from a video, you begin to imitate the style of the instructor. With a book, you're given the bare bones and it is more or less left up to you to choose your style, and that's how you'll be more effective. Also a book you can carry with you and refer to while you're on a train, bus,plane, etc... The only thing is that obviously you don't want to be reading your magic book witha bunch of laymen around. I would go chapter by chapter, first with the book, then with the DVD. In other words, go through each chapter first by the book, then refer to the video. However,always remain aware than you should ultimatley come up with your own style, so you have to remember that when you're watching the video. Good Luck to You Bro.

Nothing gets rushed. Paul Wilson does an excellent job of teaching. Honestly, the first seven or so chapters are pretty simple. It gets a little more difficult after that, but you'll get the hang of things. Like I said earlier, get the book also so you'll always be able to refer to it. You can get the book for about 10 to 12 dollars in alot of places.

Sorry for butting in by the way. I just realized that your question was directed towardsa specific person, not me. I apologize.

Paul goes into everything in extreme detail. Everything from finger positioning to misdirection is taught when he's teaching the sleights, and with the tricks, full presentational ideas and subtleties are given as well as explaining the trick in full and complete detail. It is an amazing amount of material, but not once in the 5 DVD set did I feel it was being rushed. Paul spends extra time on the more complicated tricks and difficult sleights and often inserts his own variations, methods and thoughts after he teaches it the way the book does.

Again, I'm open to any other questions you have about this. I hate to seem like I'm giving the DVDs endlessly good praise, but I was really very satisfied with the DVDs as a whole.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
And remember that it takes lots of time, practice, and determination to get all the things down.

Good luck!

i learned about lots of time, practice and determination when i started skateboarding 8 years ago. i watched A LOT of people quitting because they didnt have patience to learn tricks.(basically you learn a trick until you cant get it wrong, just like in magic!)

im gonna order the book and DVD then.

thanks to everyone who answered!

C

clarrus

This is indeed a great dvd set. I recommend it to everyone.

Nov 22, 2007
Why in the hell do people buy this expensive DVD set? There's a book that costs $10 and that's like $60-$70 less. The book is also supposed to have more theories and ideas. Is it that the book is too confusing on some parts?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Why in the hell do people buy this expensive DVD set? There's a book that costs $10 and that's like $60-$70 less. The book is also supposed to have more theories and ideas. Is it that the book is too confusing on some parts?

some people(like me) might like more audio and visual learning. rather than reading and looking at pictures. also you get to see all the things done by an experienced magican straight away.

unlike if im reading a book and see the pics. for me to see it in real time ill have to find other videos etc.

it wasnt expensive for me btw ;)

Also the DVD set has a couple of refinements. It also has great inspiration and advice from other magicians. Incidentally, it also corrects an error that's unfortunatley made its way in the book. I wont get into detail, but it has to do with one of the forces.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results