The Worst "Flop" Product You've Bought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
So over time most people (whether they're Cardists, Magicians, or Card Collectors) buy something that didn't prove to be as good as they hoped (whether it be a deck that didn't handle good, a trick that doesn't work in the real world, or a flourish that wasn't worth the money, time, or effort). What (if you have any) product(s) didn't meet your expectations?

May 17, 2015
Yigals - Tarantula, it is a good gimmick, just very weak reel system. I hear good things about the spider pen pro.

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
Change by Lloyd Barnes. The gimmicks are not a great quality. The video feels very amateur. After playing with it for a few hours and watching the video a couple of times I really don't have anything positive to say about it.

Actually, the trailer and the hype job done for it was good, it got me to spend £30 on something that I would hesitate to spend £5 on in the local toy shop.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
My worst flop product is definitely Change. Major hype, little satisfaction, rather unusable are a few descriptions that come to mind with this product. Change was hailed as "5 visual miracles that will change your life" and indeed they did, by making my wallet $30 lighter.

Currently getting stonewalled by Ellusionist's "support" staff (online) who are trying to get me to believe that it's probably not eligible for a refund. Hopefully I can get somewhere over the phone and return this.

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
My worst flop product is definitely Change. Major hype, little satisfaction, rather unusable are a few descriptions that come to mind with this product. Change was hailed as "5 visual miracles that will change your life" and indeed they did, by making my wallet $30 lighter.

Currently getting stonewalled by Ellusionist's "support" staff (online) who are trying to get me to believe that it's probably not eligible for a refund. Hopefully I can get somewhere over the phone and return this.
Good luck with that. I would go the same route but with shipping costs to/from UK/US it's not worth it.

The thing that really bugs me is I have bought some things where the gimmicks weren't great but the knowledge made up for it. With Change though the secret really isn't worth anything because it just isn't usable. It would be like me saying I know a way to give myself a bad stomach (just a weird example, I don't actually sit around planning to have a bad stomach), yes it's a secret but it's not worth anything.

Reactions: Bryant_Tsu

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm impressed at how civil this thread has been, it really reflects well on our forum.

I purchased the Gecko knowing what it was, and what it did. I couldn't make it practical for actual magic performance. Has anyone had similar issues?

I also purchased Jim Steinmeyer's Soft Shoe Monte. It was a very clever gimmick but there were various issues including some confusion with the instructions. I still love Steinmeyer though.

Dec 29, 2011
Delta by Justin Miller and Fax by Loki Kross

I sat on the fence for so long with FAX, there is very little information around though, very little of it is negative. Could you expand a bit for me? At this stage I'm decided that I don't want it, but I'm still curious.

It doesn't really make candy... it is all just a trick.

Haha, were they just miming grabbing some at the end? At least the guy on the right made the effort to actually produce one at one stage.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I don't have a lot of magic or cardistry items or tutorials. I try to heavily research what I'm looking for before I buy them. I poke and prod for information with a 10 foot pole for months at a time. Despite this, I've been burned in the magic department.

While shopping for magic effects for my daughter, came across Magicgeek selling Tenyo Magic's 'Clean Cut'; It's a cut-and-restored rope effect. The picture on Magicgeek was the Tenyo brand Clean Cut. But when I received it, it was a very cheap knockoff brand. The plastic was warped, the gimmick was defective, and the actual long rope was glued to the apparatus itself. When I tried calling the Magicgeek customer support, they JUST went out of business.

Jul 9, 2014
I sat on the fence for so long with FAX, there is very little information around though, very little of it is negative. Could you expand a bit for me? At this stage I'm decided that I don't want it, but I'm still curious.

Haha, were they just miming grabbing some at the end? At least the guy on the right made the effort to actually produce one at one stage.
I mean, it's difficult to expand without telling you the method. Honestly, I don't get how people find it workable, for me the method just seems like it wouldn't work. I tried it a couple times and both times the spectators realized what I did. For $30 I think you could get better products.

Dec 29, 2011
While shopping for magic effects for my daughter, came across Magicgeek selling Tenyo Magic's 'Clean Cut'; It's a cut-and-restored rope effect. The picture on Magicgeek was the Tenyo brand Clean Cut. But when I received it, it was a very cheap knockoff brand. The plastic was warped, the gimmick was defective, and the actual long rope was glued to the apparatus itself. When I tried calling the Magicgeek customer support, they JUST went out of business.

I've had terrible customer service from them through Juggling Store, I think I'm still owed about $100 in fact, but thats long gone. Such a disappointment.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

Wyatt -- The candy that appears is real... I was joking that it really doesn't turn the sugar into candy, but rather makes the illusion of turning the sugar into candy. I actually like the method and the fake -- kind of ingenious.

I used to use this a lot in kids shows -- when you produce a cup of M&Ms or Skittles, none of the kids wonder about the method. I don't use it much any more because it looks too much like a magic prop.

Mar 6, 2015
Worst magic tricks are made of plastic I bought. I do not mention brand. But plastic parts are noisy. I scraped and oiled plastic parts but again it is noisy.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
I mean, it's difficult to expand without telling you the method. Honestly, I don't get how people find it workable, for me the method just seems like it wouldn't work. I tried it a couple times and both times the spectators realized what I did. For $30 I think you could get better products.

I think that it is one of those effects that if you go into if with any self doubt you are not going to pull it off. I also think that some people are going to have a more natural talent for the method than others. I've never tried it for an audience as I have doubts about my 'faxing' ability

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
I think that it is one of those effects that if you go into if with any self doubt you are not going to pull it off. I also think that some people are going to have a more natural talent for the method than others. I've never tried it for an audience as I have doubts about my 'faxing' ability
Definitely. I would never use Fax because I know I couldn't pull it off, but I would be willing to bet there are some among us that could with the right presentation, the right character, the right timing, and most importantly the confidence (balls) to do so.

Dec 29, 2011
Hmm, very interesting, well I'm still not going to get it haha.

Definitely. I would never use Fax because I know I couldn't pull it off, but I would be willing to bet there are some among us that could with the right presentation, the right character, the right timing, and most importantly the confidence (balls) to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results