What was your most successful 'save'?

Jul 1, 2015
Any good stories about doing a trick and completely messing up, but improvising something to save yourself?

I have a few. Once, while performing Dan & Dave's Shuffled Aces for about fifteen classmates and my chemistry teacher (not a good time to mess up) I accidentally dropped two cards on top of theirs instead of one. That's not too bad, right? The problem was that I thought that I maybe had dropped two, and I didn't know how to check. After putting 'their card' (top card) into the deck, David got suspicious and grabbed the top card and flipped it over because he thought he knew what I was doing. Luckily, it was the second card I had dropped, which I then put into the deck, and I finished the trick successfully.

If I ever mess up another way, and reveal the wrong card, I just ask what their card was and nonchalantly do a riffle force and impress them since they think it was part of the trick.

Sorry if I didn't explain it well, I'm new to magic forums.

Also, sorry if there's something like this out there. I didn't see one.

Dec 29, 2011
The details are a little fuzzy (alcohol) but I was doing the biddle trick once and a spectator slipped a previously used card on top of the current selection when I wasn't looking. when it came to just before the peak of the effect, one of the group came clean and said what happened, I acted nonchalant as I knew which card was now face up in the deck the spec was holding, and also the location of the currently selected card, which I think I slipped in my pocket as I revealed the second card. Kind of like an improvised double biddle trick.

Another time was doing a card to pocket, I accidentally slipped the card into my wallet rather than pocket, which led to an accidental 'fake reveal' in the pocket, I thought I'd screwed up and just had them select a new card to use, which happened to be the twin (10H, 10D), in the bad light they thought it was the same card. Then when I accidentally discovered the original card, it made a pretty good instant transportation style card to wallet for them.

Gah, those are hard to follow in text form, but hopefully you get the gist. On two other occasions I've had a spec choose the same card by random twice in a row, that gets a quick laugh.

Well one time I did a sandwich routine and and I dumped the cards on the table (hoping that the selected card would be inbetween two jacks) Well Turns out I did the trick wrong and the the cards were all over the table, with the wrong card in my hand. Well the guy seemed disapointed, but after a few seconds he thought that this was a sucker trick, and that I didnt really mess up. So I went to pick up the cards that were on the floor, but his selected card was the only one on the ground while all the other cards were on the table. Man was he impressed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results