Saturday Night Contest - A Single Card

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys! Hope you all are having a great start to the weekend. This week's contest was inspired by YOU. We absolutely love seeing our cards in photos and videos from all around the world. Just a few days ago we shared a piece of card art by none other than Instagram user @CardStories (Scott Dyer) using nothing but a single playing card. Truly remarkable work; definitely leaves us speechless!

This week's contest is to create a piece of art out of a single playing card. You can draw on it, cut it, fold it, or anything else you can imagine. You can use theory11 cards or any other playing cards, it does not matter. The piece of art must be brand new and created for this contest (no old projects!), and it must be original. You can head to Scott's Instagram page to see some amazing examples, but DO NOT take his ideas. Create your own art, in your own way.

Post your entries to Instagram (tagged with #theory11) and then post the link below in response to THIS forum thread by no later than tomorrow, Sunday, July 19th at 7:30pm EST (24 hours!). The person who creates our favorite work of art will walk away with 1,000 Elite Points and 3 Decks of Mystery Box Playing Cards (first edition or black edition) shipped on the house, anywhere in the world!

We are absolutely excited to see what you guys can come up with. Good luck!

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
Hmmm...I wonder how well a picture of a single playing card, unaltered, would go down. After all the wonders and the possibilities of a playing card are what makes it beautiful, kind of like life, right...? Guys?

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Hmmm...I wonder how well a picture of a single playing card, unaltered, would go down. After all the wonders and the possibilities of a playing card are what makes it beautiful, kind of like life, right...? Guys?
If that were true you better duck and cover because Brett is going to destroy this competition with his almighty blank cards... :D

I plan to submit something that I created awhile ago (yeah, I know you aren't supposed to use old projects) so I was planning to finish it (it's half completed). It may take close to 3 hours to complete the thing so I wanted to know if it's eligible for entry.

Jun 13, 2013
London
paavanmagic.co
This idea is inspired by Scott and the model / fold pattern for this origami butterfly itself isn't wholly original, and hey I don't have an Instagram account anyway, but after seeing the stuff he's made I just had to give this a go, so thought I'd share it here anyway even if its not a contest entry -

5DmHmvp.jpg

Origami butterfly out of a single King of Spades from a deck of red bikes.

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
Logistics? If you fly to Paris, visit the Louvre, cut out a border from a playing card and then take a picture of the Mona Lisa through said border then you win, on grounds of commitment to the cause.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Well I don't really think this counts (because it's technically an old work). I did spend ~6 hours total working on this. Here's my colored card submission of a Navy Blue Monarchs playing card. Colored in by hand on Adobe's Ideas app on the iPad.
11330541_147539785577748_1692607889_n.jpg

Here's the instagram link (same picture): https://instagram.com/p/5TMv4Ov01j/?taken-by=bryanttsu
Steps used:
1). Scan to create jpg image
2). Import to iPad
3). Color in the lines (neatly, darn leaves) using Adobe Ideas
4). Submit

11313368_1625650247673306_1646166941_n.jpg

Close up for detail.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
From the contest post:

"Post your entries to Instagram (tagged with #theory11) and then post the link below in response to THIS forum thread"

I saw that. However, it didn't say "post your entries to Instagram only." And like Bryant said, usually posting pictures here is okay. I take your response to mean that entries cannot be posted here?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I saw that. However, it didn't say "post your entries to Instagram only." And like Bryant said, usually posting pictures here is okay. I take your response to mean that entries cannot be posted here?
You don't have to use Instagram, it's just easier to find pictures if people forgot to post them in this thread. You can post pictures directly in response to this thread without Instagram

Dec 19, 2014
Can i ask something? can i upload it to another site ? because i have to crop my photo on instagram and if i crop it, my photo will not as good as what it should have be

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results