Easy but flashy card flourishes

Jul 19, 2015
I always have this problem... i want to learn a cool but easy card flourish (Like sybil cut), only the easy ones don't look good, and the nice looking ones are hard.

These are the ones that i have learned already: Sybil cut, The werm, The spring, Dribble, Ripple, Flicker, Alot of one handed card flourishes, Pirouette.

I prefer packet cuts, but anything is fine.
I would appreciate it if you help me.
-NielsHeinos

Nov 29, 2013
I wouldn't say that easy flourishes don't look cool. For me, a flourish doesn't have to be hard to look good. Beauty and difficulty are two different things... Sounds like you're learning from youtube and, maybe that's why you get the impression that easy flourishes don't look good, because a lot of beginner tutorials on there are really poorly explained and even the so called "teacher" can't do the flourish properly... You should definitely start by learning the basics from good sources... You could get a DVD like Genesis by Andrei Jikh, which teaches the basics, and I guarantee you you will see that flourishes can look great without being (too) hard, when performed well ;)

Now, if you are a beginner, but don't want to spend too much money by buying a DVD, and still want to learn cool looking and useful moves, I would highly recommend checking out SchoolOfCardistry on Youtube. This channel truly has great, clear and well explained tutorials, by an awesome cardist: Jaspas.
The videos teach the basics, as well as some (usually not too hard) original moves by Jaspas.

Once you know the basics, take a look at the Wire, where you have a plenty of pretty awesome flourishes, and where you can choose between easy, medium and hard tutorials... From there, you'll become better and better, and be able to learn harder flourishes, or even create you own :)

My last tip would be not to try learning too much flourishes at the same time. That's a big mistake a lot of people do. When you learn something, learn it well, practice it a lot, till you can perform it smoothly, and THEN move on to another flourish... Also, you said that you learnt Flicker... Well Flicker is an awesome flourish, but in my opinion maybe not for a beginner... So, once again, learn the basics first and then move on to harder moves... That being said, the best way to progress is to have fun! Sooooo... Have fun with cardistry! :p

Jul 19, 2015
I wouldn't say that easy flourishes don't look cool. For me, a flourish doesn't have to be hard to look good. Beauty and difficulty are two different things... Sounds like you're learning from youtube and, maybe that's why you get the impression that easy flourishes don't look good, because a lot of beginner tutorials on there are really poorly explained and even the so called "teacher" can't do the flourish properly... You should definitely start by learning the basics from good sources... You could get a DVD like Genesis by Andrei Jikh, which teaches the basics, and I guarantee you you will see that flourishes can look great without being (too) hard, when performed well ;)

Now, if you are a beginner, but don't want to spend too much money by buying a DVD, and still want to learn cool looking and useful moves, I would highly recommend checking out SchoolOfCardistry on Youtube. This channel truly has great, clear and well explained tutorials, by an awesome cardist: Jaspas.
The videos teach the basics, as well as some (usually not too hard) original moves by Jaspas.

Once you know the basics, take a look at the Wire, where you have a plenty of pretty awesome flourishes, and where you can choose between easy, medium and hard tutorials... From there, you'll become better and better, and be able to learn harder flourishes, or even create you own :)

My last tip would be not to try learning too much flourishes at the same time. That's a big mistake a lot of people do. When you learn something, learn it well, practice it a lot, till you can perform it smoothly, and THEN move on to another flourish... Also, you said that you learnt Flicker... Well Flicker is an awesome flourish, but in my opinion maybe not for a beginner... So, once again, learn the basics first and then move on to harder moves... That being said, the best way to progress is to have fun! Sooooo... Have fun with cardistry! :p
Thank you so much, and you do have a point. i think almost the same about cardistry and people find this topic strange but when you see the nature of the subject, it is art.
Thx for you're help i appreciate it.
-Niels Heinos

May 31, 2015
Niels, some tutorials you might want to check out (on YouTube) are : ZM's One Card twirl, My Grain, Supra, Squeegee, and Friffle. Also, School of Cardistry is a pretty great channel as well. Hope it helped.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Friffle x cascade gets reactions a lot. Dimitri Arleri's riffle fan is also a stunner, plus it's fun to do, once you get the basics down.
Friffle is easy and looks really nice.
See the virts tutorial on perfect faro and cascade it's worth it, and very well explained and they gove great tips on making it beautiful. You will have to contact customer support to buy it though as it's not directly available on their site, it was sold with the ss14 deck.

Dec 31, 2014
Practice is one of the most important tips a can give you. It probably seems like an obvious tip that any cardist would give, but I cannot stress it enough. Sybil is a very nice cut, and by practicing nonstop for a couple months, it's not such a big deal. The pirouette was also difficult, but with a lot of practice, it's now a casual move, and I'm tackling the paddidle.

The back designs and quality of the cards you use also have a large impact on how well your cardistry comes out. Simple back designs like Virtuoso, Fontaine, and NoC are good for fast moving cuts, but my personal favorite is Tally-Ho circle backs. They're cheap, have a nice finish, and somehow makes any flourish you do look great.

Jul 19, 2015
Practice is one of the most important tips a can give you. It probably seems like an obvious tip that any cardist would give, but I cannot stress it enough. Sybil is a very nice cut, and by practicing nonstop for a couple months, it's not such a big deal. The pirouette was also difficult, but with a lot of practice, it's now a casual move, and I'm tackling the paddidle.

The back designs and quality of the cards you use also have a large impact on how well your cardistry comes out. Simple back designs like Virtuoso, Fontaine, and NoC are good for fast moving cuts, but my personal favorite is Tally-Ho circle backs. They're cheap, have a nice finish, and somehow makes any flourish you do look great.
Thx for you're help. I am waiting for my custom deck to arrive for cardistry, they art a little thicker then the bicycle decks. So thats good for cardistry.
I will consider buying the tally ho's. Thx have a nice day!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results