Metal Detecting Gear

Jul 22, 2015
im trying to locate an item that I know exists. I fear that it may have been specifically made for one person though as I cannot find it in any of the online magic shops. It is in essence a wrist watch metal detector. I happen to know that there are a couple in existence in use by mentalists to do the "which hand is the coin in" trick. Any ideas at all where and IF I could get one? I'd even take on trying to make one I just don't have a clue how so if any of you know that answer too it would be appreciated.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
im trying to locate an item that I know exists. I fear that it may have been specifically made for one person though as I cannot find it in any of the online magic shops. It is in essence a wrist watch metal detector. I happen to know that there are a couple in existence in use by mentalists to do the "which hand is the coin in" trick. Any ideas at all where and IF I could get one? I'd even take on trying to make one I just don't have a clue how so if any of you know that answer too it would be appreciated.

First off, your thread title looks like spam, just saying. I doubt they make/sell these things anywhere (as there's no market for it) so your best bet is to contact a machine shop to have something custom built. Also, how would you use this?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
[QUOTE="Archimedes, post: 432898, member: 121374"I happen to know that there are a couple in existence in use by mentalists to do the "which hand is the coin in" trick. [/QUOTE]

I've never heard of that method for that effect. I'm guessing whomever told you this is pulling you leg... or arm as the case may be.

Mar 6, 2015
Archimedes, it sounds as a good idea but how metal detecting watch tell the difference; I mean what is the way of receiving the signal? I first thought bluetooth or a cell phone vibrating device but they are useless. It is best to try traditional methods.

Jun 30, 2015
New York City
This sounds like on of those "fake methods" to throw people off. Most commercially available metal detectors of the hand held size would have trouble reading a coin inside a closed hand. Make it watch size and you'll have no luck.

Reactions: Levent Suberk
Jul 22, 2015
Well, I've heard it done one of two ways using the watch. The metal detector which, due to size, I can see the issue there. Also, though, I could see the "workings" of a metal detector being concealed on a pack and just the "eye" itself being within the watch face. The other method is by using a magnetic coin and more or less a watch-looking compass that would respond as compasses do.

Jun 30, 2015
New York City
For one of my jobs I have to walk through a metal detector every time I go to work. It's set VERY high, very sensitive. I have an Apple Watch. If I squeeze my hand over my watch face, and hold it close to my body, it usually will not catch it. Otherwise it does. Metal detection is funny technology and a whole lot of trouble just to reveal what hand a coin is in. I also think there are other methods to accomplish that effect, though I don't recall where I once read about it. Frankly, you could probably just learn the tells of which hand it's in, and I think most people know that and it becomes a bar trick more than anything else, no matter how great the presentation is.

I hate shooting down people's ideas but I think this one might just be a dead end and I would want someone else to say the same if it was me. Sounds like you've invested a lot of time so far into trying to figure out how this effect could be performed, so thats why I think you deserve to not have people blow smoke up your...

Reactions: RealityOne

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I have an idea of what your wondering about. It's not what you think. The method is not a metal detector in a typical sense, but does allow you to tell which hand a coin is in. It could easily be put into any watch. I'm not at liberty to share the method (it's not my idea) but the above posts are correct, there is not a 'metal detector watch' using traditional metal detector technology.

Reactions: RealityOne
May 17, 2015
Wouldn't a magnetic coin + magnetic watch work? You'd feel the pull slightly, kind of like fishing.. Well if you fish for sharks and gators like people around where I live, it would be more drastic haha

Jun 30, 2015
New York City
Wouldn't a magnetic coin + magnetic watch work? You'd feel the pull slightly, kind of like fishing.. Well if you fish for sharks and gators like people around where I live, it would be more drastic haha
But then the spectator would feel the pull of the a coin in their hand as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results