Draven Reviews: Passing Thru by Kevin Parker

Title: Passing Thru: Coin In Bottle

Artist: Kevin Parker

Producers: KP Studio

Retail Price: $11.95 USD

Link: http://kpmagic.wix.com/kpstudio#!on...hru-Coin-Through-Bottle/p/52729399/category=0

Learning Difficulty: Easy

Length of Video: 6 minutes

Features:

• Online Video Tutorial

Magicians love penetration effects. Find a small object and guaranteed a magician somewhere will figure out how to force it through another solid object. Enter coin in bottle plot. It’s a familiar plot where a magician takes a sealed bottle, and a borrowed coin, and then somehow manages to magically make the coin pass through the bottle and become sealed inside. The methods to do this illusion are many, and now Kevin Parker has stepped up to the plate to add his own unique spin to this timeless illusion.

Kevin’s take on the classic coin in bottle focuses use on a preferred glass bottle approach. The advantage to Kevin’s handling is the added audible quality of the coin clinking against the glass which is somewhat diminished by other handlings that involve plastic bottles. The setup is fairly quick, and will require the use of some sleight of hand skills. If you can palm a card, though, I think you’ll be fine. Yes there is a gimmick that you’ll need to construct but it’s very easy to make and everyone should have access to the material you’ll need to make it out of. Five minutes, and some fidgeting to get the sizing right for you personally, and you’re going to be good to go. Also the gimmick, once built, should last you many performances before you’ll need to replace it- if you ever need to replace it.

The video I watched for the review was only six minutes long, give or take, so Kevin doesn’t really waste a lot of time on fluff or filler. It’s pretty much down to business which is appreciated. The sound and video quality is reminiscent of something homemade and could have benefited from a higher quality camera and a better mic, but the magic is solid gold. Street magicians are going to love this. The angles are pretty fool proof, and while the video relies on a switch I’m pretty sure with some minor tweaking you could probably do a signed coin version of this illusion with minimal creative effort.

Is this effect practical? I’d say it stands up well against other coin in bottle routines. It doesn’t take up a lot of pocket space, and it’s pretty easy to get into and out of. It’s visual, which is nice, and given the spin you put on it could play for the street, as well as the stage. It’s certainly a good enough effect as a one off. It can stand by itself, or it would be a good opener too, especially if you do other coin work. If you like coin in bottle routines, then you should take a look at Kevin’s Passing Thru.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8

A cleaver handling, and easy to build gimmick.

Teaching Quality: 7

Fast pace tutorial teaches you the effect and wastes no time on fluff or filler. You’ll be performing this within minutes.

Video & Sound Quality: 5

I’ve seen better sound and video. This has a “made out of someone’s garage” feel to it.

Overall Quality: 7

A cleaver handling to a classic plot. Well worth looking into!

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results