Tutorial

May 31, 2015
A tutorial for my one handed move "Nikon". The quality is kind of bad, but I don't have a better camera soooo.... It'll have to do for now.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
The move looks interesting. And I'd hate to say it, but you need to polish up the move and shoot it again. And your camera is fine. I don't know what kind of camera it is, but it looks like it shoots fine to me.

In the beginning of the video, you say what to do but you 'can't do [the catch] very well'. That takes a bit of credibility away from you, on top of the viewer not really having a visual of what you're trying to show them. On top of it all, just stating that means that you need to polish up your flourish.

These things can take time, I've been working on a flourish since January of this year and it's still being worked on.

Also, the flurry of flourishes at the end. Just limit your tutorial to just the move you're trying to teach. There's no reason to display your skill. That's what individual skill-based videos are for.

You have a good thing, it's just that I'd highly encourage you to look at some tutorials on the Wire, as well as some of the Andrei Jihk tutorials (and previews) and just analyze what they do, what makes them good, what they display and what they don't display. It's all about adding whats relevant and cutting out what isn't.

I hope this isn't discouraging in any way. I just want to try and help set you up for success. I mean, you have put the effort in making your own flourish. Let your tutorial reflect that as well.

May 31, 2015
The move looks interesting. And I'd hate to say it, but you need to polish up the move and shoot it again. And your camera is fine. I don't know what kind of camera it is, but it looks like it shoots fine to me.

In the beginning of the video, you say what to do but you 'can't do [the catch] very well'. That takes a bit of credibility away from you, on top of the viewer not really having a visual of what you're trying to show them. On top of it all, just stating that means that you need to polish up your flourish.

These things can take time, I've been working on a flourish since January of this year and it's still being worked on.

Also, the flurry of flourishes at the end. Just limit your tutorial to just the move you're trying to teach. There's no reason to display your skill. That's what individual skill-based videos are for.

You have a good thing, it's just that I'd highly encourage you to look at some tutorials on the Wire, as well as some of the Andrei Jihk tutorials (and previews) and just analyze what they do, what makes them good, what they display and what they don't display. It's all about adding whats relevant and cutting out what isn't.

I hope this isn't discouraging in any way. I just want to try and help set you up for success. I mean, you have put the effort in making your own flourish. Let your tutorial reflect that as well.
Alright Brett, thanks for all the constructive criticism, I will take all of it into account when I make another video. One thing though, I am severely limited in terms of editing and cool angles (I've watched countless Wire tutorials). My tripod is actually 5 decks stacked on top of each other, and I have no one to help me film.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Alright Brett, thanks for all the constructive criticism, I will take all of it into account when I make another video. One thing though, I am severely limited in terms of editing and cool angles (I've watched countless Wire tutorials). My tripod is actually 5 decks stacked on top of each other, and I have no one to help me film.

Ha ha! I can totally relate! My 'tripod' is either my kids Legos or me sticking my IPhone to the wall with poster putty.

I'm not going to lie, I don't have fancy editing software. You don't NEED it. It helps. But YOU can make the tutorial good, not the software. All I have is Windows Movie Maker.

I will suggest in acquiring a tripod and maybe an adapter (if you're like me and using a phone. I have the tripod. Just need the adapter).

Some tips:

DO NOT film a tutorial in your room or your house. Find a place like a study room in a library (my place of choice). It's less distracting. And will be better if you ever make a tutorial for the Wire.

It's ikay if you have to reshoot a shot 127 times. As long as you get it right the way you want it to. That's all that matters.

If you are doing a spoken word tutorial, look into some free audio editing software. I would recommend one, but the laptop I had it in crashed back in April and I forgot the name of it. Most important thing there is editing out the background 'humming'. It's easy to do once you know what you're looking at. I'm not tech savvy and between download-to-finish, it only took me two hours.

And most of all, keep learning. Keep looking at different tutorials and taking out what you like and what about them makes you like them and makes you want to utilize.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results