What are you working on?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Yeah, it's 9 days into October.

But hey! Why not?

So, cardists, what are you working on?
Project? Tutorial? Video? New flourishes? Something else?

For me, I'm working on my first video. It's not the project I was working in, but I have an idea that I'd much rather work on as sort of a 'test run'. So far, I'm trying to break in 4 decks and learn 2 flourishes. The goal is to have the video up and done by the end of the year.

May 31, 2015
I've been trying to extend one of my original flourishes, but I've come up short, and I cant come up with much. Flip Phone is also something I've been trying to get down.

Apr 6, 2015
Pakistan
well i am giving my all to wait for sonic lost world to release on PC :D
and i am not a hardcore cardist to do it everyday so i am working on some flair bartending combo moves LOL

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I am splitting my time between Kerbal Space Program, magic/cardistry, and photography. My new camera can record videos so I am considering a video of some sort in the distant future. I'll be using and abusing my Jaqk deck for the next 5-6 months. I bought my first magic book (Applesauce by Patrick Redford) and it's pretty tough trying to nail the steps down. I also bought a Pyro unit (sorry for the Ellusionist plugs :confused:) and want to practice shooting fireballs (not for magic actually, just to shoot fireballs). Pretty set for the month, that book is going to give me some trouble. My overall goal for this month is to be able to read magic books.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I've been trying to extend one of my original flourishes, but I've come up short, and I cant come up with much. Flip Phone is also something I've been trying to get down.

Original flourishes are a beast to do. I keep seeing all of these flourishes pop up for PAID tutorials and think, 'man, it can't be THAT hard.'

I think part of it is finding your 'niche' with flourish making. I've been on one for almost a year now and haven't made much head-way except for making the stupid thing go faster.

Just keep at it! You'll get there!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
well i am giving my all to wait for sonic lost world to release on PC :D
and i am not a hardcore cardist to do it everyday so i am working on some flair bartending combo moves LOL

Nice! Trick bartender!

Oddly enough, I lived in Las Vegas for 12 years and managed to never see one. But man, I've seen videos of trick bar tending competitions. That's some really neat stuff.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I am splitting my time between Kerbal Space Program, magic/cardistry, and photography. My new camera can record videos so I am considering a video of some sort in the distant future. I'll be using and abusing my Jaqk deck for the next 5-6 months. I bought my first magic book (Applesauce by Patrick Redford) and it's pretty tough trying to nail the steps down. I also bought a Pyro unit (sorry for the Ellusionist plugs :confused:) and want to practice shooting fireballs (not for magic actually, just to shoot fireballs). Pretty set for the month, that book is going to give me some trouble. My overall goal for this month is to be able to read magic books.

Yeah, your month is pretty much locked in place. How does the space program work? I thought, by way of your picture taking, that you were taking photography classes.

I haven't heard of Applesauce, but I know magic books have a tendency to be dry (Royal Road, Card College, Our Magic to name a few dry classics).

And. Pyro?! You, of all people on the board, seem to have THE most mysterious budget. There's times where you're saving up for cards, run out of money, save up again, and now you come out ahead with a Pyro unit. I want a mysterious budget!

Good luck on the magic book and I hope it goes well!

Reactions: graffhead

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
How does the space program work?
It's a computer game that looks suitable for all ages (it has lively astronaut characters, with an overall soft animated feel). The controls are more advanced than what you'd expect. During the building process you need to keep track of where the center of mass and lift is, as well as make it aerodynamic so it doesn't blow up during takeoff. Piloting is somewhat difficult as you need to control your rocket/plane's pitch, yaw, and roll. Overall it's fun, difficult, and challenging.

I thought, by way of your picture taking, that you were taking photography classes.
Well, I took a photography class for a year last year and gained a lot of experience through that. I still have access to the learning materials and can brush up on certain things if I feel the need to. I have basic operation down, and a decent knowledge of composition, exposure, and the color wheel. I have the tools and the knowledge, I'm just at a sanding phase right now to improve my current skills (and find inspiration in subjects). My card a day post is really helping me expand and stretch my imagination and inspiration for photography.

I haven't heard of Applesauce, but I know magic books have a tendency to be dry (Royal Road, Card College, Our Magic to name a few dry classics).
Yeah, I took a unconventional start to magic books. It's an Ellusionist product with 200 copies made. The content seemed intriguing by the move descriptions and had great reviews, so I wasn't making a "bad" choice. I plan on looking at the book again soon, with a clear mind I will get it down over time.

And. Pyro?! You, of all people on the board, seem to have THE most mysterious budget. There's times where you're saving up for cards, run out of money, save up again, and now you come out ahead with a Pyro unit. I want a mysterious budget!
:) Well, I strive to be mysterious. The past month I have been poking holes in my wallet so I definitely have to give it some time to mend. I don't plan on spending this much this quickly, but the stars seemed to have aligned with my camera, Pyro, and the sneaky quick Jaqk release all falling so close to each other. The camera and Pyro unit have been "long term" goals, and therefore depleted the funds I saved up for that purpose. Meanwhile I keep a stash of cash for the occasional "must get" item (like the limited edition Jaqk deck) that I can use in a flash.

Rhymes... Anyway, yes indeed I'll be chipping away at that book.

Apr 6, 2015
Pakistan
Nice! Trick bartender!

Oddly enough, I lived in Las Vegas for 12 years and managed to never see one. But man, I've seen videos of trick bar tending competitions. That's some really neat stuff.
well i am from a country where drinking is officially illegal (Pakistan) but we are not Muslims so we are allowed to drink so my family member drink on special occasions and fortunately i am already in that flourishing department and and visual art and stuff so they always expect something new from me :D and just some tin moves and fancy pours and a little aerial moves really amaze them :)

May 5, 2015
Iv'e been focusing on just practicing and cardistry or flourishes I come by. Also, someone told me that trying to figure out how flourishes are done in videos is an excellent exercise.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Mostly Virts & D&D stuff: Strobe, Squeeze, Flicker Shot, are the ones I am "working" on, but I still cycle Molecule 4, Preqel, Pandora, Jackson 5 and Akira as they are not as good I want them to look like.

I shied away from TG Deck Flip at first, but recently got decent results when trying it. I don't know if it's confidence or dexterity that is building up, but this one looks less daunting than before...

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Mostly Virts & D&D stuff: Strobe, Squeeze, Flicker Shot, are the ones I am "working" on, but I still cycle Molecule 4, Preqel, Pandora, Jackson 5 and Akira as they are not as good I want them to look like.

I shied away from TG Deck Flip at first, but recently got decent results when trying it. I don't know if it's confidence or dexterity that is building up, but this one looks less daunting than before...

You cycle a ton of flourishes! That's crazy.

I HATE the TG Deck Flip. Probably because I was learning it around the same time I was learning Erdnase Go Round. So a lot of what I was doing was dropping the deck.

The finger placement is key from what I experienced for a month of learning it, but I can't 'launch it' low. Me doing it almost looks like a coin flip.

How long were you working in the Deck Flip?

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
I discovered the deck flip with the Trilogy DVD last Christmas. I dropped cards enough to tell myself that this one was not for me, at least not at the moment. Then I saw Erdnase Go Round and told myself the exact same thing.

During the summer, Vertigo and Flicker Shot convinced me to try more aerials. I kept an old used deck on the kitchen countertop just to practice the deck flip, but it did not last long. Toward the end of summer, I tried Erdnase Go Round a few times with limited success but it did work a few times.

I have a bicycle deck I keep in the kitchen that I have been using most of the time after work for the past 4 months. Still fans, works great for packet cutting. So I have the deck flip recently, without putting too much work into it. The deck does 180 or 540 most of the time, so I still lack consistency, but at least the cards are not flying around (ok it does happens sometimes...). It's still not a move I dedicate myself to, but it is one that I fiddle with from time to time.

So maybe it's my hands and fingers that developed strength and coordination for this move to sink in, or it's just that my muscles remember it from time to time. About getting hand strength: I am currently breaking in a pack of Fournier 605... and yes, they are beginning to fan!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results