Green Monarchs and their finish

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Green Monarchs is now the third deck I have acquired from the lovely chaps at Theory11 (the other 2 being Mystery Box & NoMad).

The deck feels like it has a different finish than the Mystery Box and NoMads. The above two seem to need to be 'broken in' a bit, whereas the Green Monarchs can 'plug-and-play' right out of the box.

However, I also noticed that the edges seem to be rougher than any other deck in my inventory. I THINK this may be due to the bonding process that was talked about in the making of the new deck. But I am not sure.

Do the Monarch decks all feature the same sort of finish? Is the Green Monarch finish different from previous versions? Why is this one so...different

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Hi Brett,

I have experienced a similar feel with my JAQK deck, the edges feelling a bit rough, like some badly cut bikes. This can happen when cutting batches of decks at the factory, the knife sharpening degrading over time.

Here is how I fixed mine. I sand the edges using an emery board. Take the entire pack, hold it with the side on the table and sand the opposite side along the length of the cards. Repeat on all four sides. Cut the deck, repeat the procedure to ensure all cards are sanded the same amount.

Now, you need to wipe both sides of each card with soft cloth, I use my jeans... This will remove the paper particles that fell between the cards, preventing great fanning.

Now the edges are smooth like a perfectly cut deck. The whole procedures takes only a few minutes.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi Brett,

I have experienced a similar feel with my JAQK deck, the edges feelling a bit rough, like some badly cut bikes. This can happen when cutting batches of decks at the factory, the knife sharpening degrading over time.

Here is how I fixed mine. I sand the edges using an emery board. Take the entire pack, hold it with the side on the table and sand the opposite side along the length of the cards. Repeat on all four sides. Cut the deck, repeat the procedure to ensure all cards are sanded the same amount.

Now, you need to wipe both sides of each card with soft cloth, I use my jeans... This will remove the paper particles that fell between the cards, preventing great fanning.

Now the edges are smooth like a perfectly cut deck. The whole procedures takes only a few minutes.

Thank you for the detailed help! I'll have to give that a try. Oddly enough, I actually need to learn how to do a fan as well.

And congrats on the comment contest!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Green Monarchs is now the third deck I have acquired from the lovely chaps at Theory11 (the other 2 being Mystery Box & NoMad).

The deck feels like it has a different finish than the Mystery Box and NoMads. The above two seem to need to be 'broken in' a bit, whereas the Green Monarchs can 'plug-and-play' right out of the box.

However, I also noticed that the edges seem to be rougher than any other deck in my inventory. I THINK this may be due to the bonding process that was talked about in the making of the new deck. But I am not sure.

Do the Monarch decks all feature the same sort of finish? Is the Green Monarch finish different from previous versions? Why is this one so...different
Hey Brett,

In the event that the edges feel a little rougher than usual, a good trick I like to do is to rub all of the edges of the pack on a pair of jeans/denim material. This is not as coarse as sand paper and you won't run the risk of accidentally splitting an edge of a card if you do it too much. Go back and forth with each side on your jeans until you feel the edges start to feel smoother.

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Nov 9, 2013
Do the Green Monarchs feel similar to the Red Monarchs? I ask because the Red Monarchs to this day feels the best out of my entire collection.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
The deck feels like it has a different finish than the Mystery Box and NoMads.
Same exact finish.

I THINK this may be due to the bonding process that was talked about in the making of the new deck.
The "bonding process" mentioned before is in relation to the two layer paper used on the tuck case, and isn't applicable to the actual card stock itself. The cardstock is also the same as out other decks. The roughness may simply be that the cutting blades may have been less than perfectly sharp when that specific deck was cut out. My deck edges feel perfect.

// L

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
...Oddly enough, I actually need to learn how to do a fan as well.

Keep at it! I still need to work on my one-handed indices fans. But those #%&! Virts have put me on a mission to also do reverse one-handed fans as well...

And congrats on the comment contest!

Thanks! One more blue JAQK coming up! I actually love the feeling of these. No matter how much shuffling and LePaul-spreading I do, these still immediately fan perfectly!

Now I gave to figure out which next deck I will get to satisfy my card addiction thirst... Green Monarchs look tempting, I love the blue one those darkened faces (I just can't stand those bikes light-red pips and light-blue framing anymore...). And that upcoming Blaine deck is intriguing...

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Keep at it! I still need to work on my one-handed indices fans. But those #%&! Virts have put me on a mission to also do reverse one-handed fans as well...

Those reverse fans look amazing! I want to learn unique fans for magic application.

I'm trying to 'reverse engineer' a double one-handed fan I found in a video in the depths of YouTube. Between that and the reverse fans, learning how to fan is going to be my priority after November-Decenmver timeframe.

Have you looked up 'French Manicure' in terms of crazy fans?

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Anybody put the Green Monarchs in a Porper Clip? How does it fit with 54 cards (removing the ad cards but keeping the jokers)?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Anybody put the Green Monarchs in a Porper Clip? How does it fit with 54 cards (removing the ad cards but keeping the jokers)?
Hey Fox,

I just tried putting a deck inside my leather Porper, and it is possible if you stretch the clip before putting the deck inside. However, you won't have such a fun time trying to get it out; it's quite tough and not worth the effort putting it in one in the first place, really. The box itself is incredibly sturdy, though, and will do a good job at protecting your cards without a clip due to the duplexing (bonding process) of the two-layered paper used for the tuck case.

-Casey

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
That box on the Green Monarchs is crazy sturdy. That's the biggest takeaway for me regarding the deck.

Little background info. I've been regularly using the NoMads since their release. No clip or anything; just cards and box and in the pocket it goes. I think that the boxes you guys use are already sturdy. The most notable sign of wear on the NoMad box I have is the opening flap has 'devil horns' from the corners folding up. But the rest of the box is very much intact; scuff marks abound, but the structure of the box is there.

That said, I'm convinced that the Green Monarch box is going to hold up for quite a long time--maybe outliving the green monarch deck itself.

While on the subject of the box, is the bonding process used on the green Monarch box going to be used for decks of future releases?

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to get deck whose box is going to hold up for longer than the deck itself. Save money from buying a card clip if I can just get an indestructible card box with a deck inside? Yes please!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results