Help with school heckler!

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
Today when I was at school, I was performing with my loops. I found the perfect shade outside and I had about ten people watching. I dediced to do one more trick. So I borrowed someones glasses, I put them down on the ground and made them rise. While they were rising one of the people came up and put his hands on top of the glasses and broke the string. I said I was done. Everyone leftr but him, He came to me told me that he felt the string. He told that if I wouldn't give him one he would tell how I was doing those tricks to everyone. What should I do?

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Today when I was at school, I was performing with my loops. I found the perfect shade outside and I had about ten people watching. I dediced to do one more trick. So I borrowed someones glasses, I put them down on the ground and made them rise. While they were rising one of the people came up and put his hands on top of the glasses and broke the string. I said I was done. Everyone leftr but him, He came to me told me that he felt the string. He told that if I wouldn't give him one he would tell how I was doing those tricks to everyone. What should I do?

use a different method besides loops...let him tell everyone, then prove to them that he is wrong...or just let him tell everyone and let it go, no big deal, you apparently have some supporters, no big deal

Hi there,

The best thing to do in this situation would be to ignore him, and not perform loops in your school again.

See the main thing here is, the fact that school is not the only place you can perform magic, ive had people do this same thing to me, i just ignored them and used different effects. Put away the loops and get out some other magic, ignore this dude, hes just another heckler. Use your loops out of school, in the open.

I hope i have helped you out, if not shoot me a p.m and ill be more than happy to help you out.

Take care.

Da. Speedfreak.

Lewis.

Sep 1, 2007
do as i say

ok say no and when he does tell come up with something very clever like if it was string wouldnt they have seen it or give them something stupid like magnets or something for me when things like this happen it happend once they didnt belive him and i supposedly told them the secert lolz

Sep 1, 2007
USA
ive found magnets as an excuse is the best because for some reason everyone believes it

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Just ignore him and move on. Tell him that you won't continue performing around him, and your audience will take care of him. I have an essay on Hecklers here, I think it's worth the read if you have problems with it. Just do a quick search. It's called Heckers- The Essay.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
here is what I woudl do,

First, tell him to meet you at the bike racks at 3:15 for the beat down of his life
Second, when your beating him tell him to never heckle you again.
Third, walk away in the dusk.

KIDDING...... we magicians are nice people, stead, just simply shoot him.

OK NOW I WON'T Joke, be straight up with him, tell him that he is proving nothing to no one and he is just ruining it for everyone else.

and if that doesnt work, I woudl suggest you do one of those tricks wher eyou show up the heckler.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Here's the essay:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=2019

It's a little long, but I feel it will help you. Good luck with your heckler!

That litte sentence right there made me giigle, you amde it soudn liek its somthing you buy.

ex.

TODAY FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, YOU CAN OWN YOUR VERY OWN PET HECKLER. COMES FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITH MANY DISSES, RUDE COMMENTS AND MUCH MORE. FOR A LIMITED TIME, THE FIRST 1000 SOLD WILL BE EXTRA ARROGANT TO MEET YOUR HECKLING NEEDS,

DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS INCREDIBLE OFFER.

That litte sentence right there made me giigle, you amde it soudn liek its somthing you buy.

ex.

TODAY FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, YOU CAN OWN YOUR VERY OWN PET HECKLER. COMES FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITH MANY DISSES, RUDE COMMENTS AND MUCH MORE. FOR A LIMITED TIME, THE FIRST 1000 SOLD WILL BE EXTRA ARROGANT TO MEET YOUR HECKLING NEEDS,

DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS INCREDIBLE OFFER.

What??? Your still here. In another thread you said you were leaving and your now typing, something useless. I've got to take my pills.:confused:

The best thing to do it just to say "Yep" to whatever he says. Then he won't know if you are lying or telling the truth adn he wont know what to do. confusion is the best method. Magicians use it all the time, and if you wanna be one, you gotta apply it to things other then loop magic.

lol
peace

D

Deleted member 2755

Just say that everyone knows you don't have supernatural powers, and by telling everyone how it is done, you are doing nothing more than killing the illusion and killing it for you and everyone else. Then say you refuse to perform magic around him anymore and walk away. If he begs, smile and say no. Good luck.

-Doug

Oct 16, 2007
Fear not

If I had a dollar for everytime i performed something as silly as a double lift and someone said "Oh, i know how you did that" and when asked how or handed a deck, they couldn't reproduce or explain anything, I'd have at least the next 4 semester's tuition in the bag.

Saying "I felt the string" is a far cry from "I saw the string" or even worse, "I have your string." Another thing, I've been working with loops for a short while and I lose them while they're sitting across my fingers. There's little to no way the guy felt the loop- more likely he's heard of magicians doing tricks with invisible thread and just said that to get your reaction. I prefer to use the default ed norton line from the movieThe Illusionist, "That is one way it could be done," whenever thrust into a situation akin to that. Doesn't give anything up, does make the guy look like a jerk- win win

Let the guy explain whatever he wants away and do one of two things
1) shrug it off and in conjunction with hand picked, gullible audience members, confidently use an alternate hookup with your loops (lateral levitations or trigonal setups rather than horizontal or just go old school with the thread and read up on the many setups possible with that stuff (i.e. around your ear, over the shoulder, around your glasses, in your cheek etc...)

or

2) don't perform something using thread or loops for a week or so, let stuff cool over in that respect. Tomorrow when you go back to school say that you'll step it up a notch and do something better than levitating objects, you'll do it yourself and go right into a king's rising or what-have you (king rising only popped into mind because here in NY, it's been wicked cold the past few days so i found myself using the jacket i was carrying in the halls to class as the initial cover for the trick and getting a good five inches before BioChem started)

Either way, there are a myriad of ways to levitate an object so don't fret. Keep up the good work and remember to have fun with the people, don't sweat being caught (unless your hands are being burned by a suspected naysayer and it's a nacky move). Fearing being caught leads to you looking at your own hands leading the audience to watch your hands leading to your tricks being reduced to recess entertainment.

Chillax, have fun and keep amazing
Dave

Oct 6, 2007
just lie.
"The greatest liars are also the greatest magicians."
-Adolf Hitler (no offense but good quote)

C

clarrus

get some levitation tricks that don't require string like making a card rise or the levitating card. Perform it when he's around and when he says something stupid, call him out on it.

Sep 2, 2007
get daniel garcia's loops dvd, volume 2

It has an impromptu card rise that will put him in his place. there are two other card rises in there, but there not that great.

Or do what I do. I have possibly three regular hecklers you can do either of the following:

Do a trick with no sleights and everytime he says something show teh deck clean.

OR

if your performing for a group, say you will not perform for hecklers, i.e the heckler your dealing with.

I prefer the second method because everyone tells him/her to go anyway because they wanna see magic. It puts that heckler in their place.

But the first method is pretty usefull too.

Hope this helped,

Peace

Oct 25, 2007
I've found that performing at my high school is a problem. As a frosh, I performed all the time. It got really annoying when everyone came up to me demanding to see a trick, regardless of whether or not I was doing homework or something else.

It got very annoying quickly,and many figured out a lot of methods.

My advice, dont do magic in school. Finally, as a senior, they've stopped asking to see a trick every second.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results