Vanish person in a box

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I have never done big illusions, so this part of magic is unknown for me.
But I need one big illusion, it is not very complex, but I have no idea, how to do it, and where can I find information.

So what I want to do - I want to get in the box, and my assistant is going to push me into the river from the bridge. Obviously I don't want to die :D
I was searching for this kind of effect, but I don't really know what I am looking for.
Is there similar illusion to this one? And what's the name of the illusion, and where can I get one?

Mar 6, 2015
I have never done big illusions, so this part of magic is unknown for me.
But I need one big illusion, it is not very complex, but I have no idea, how to do it, and where can I find information.

So what I want to do - I want to get in the box, and my assistant is going to push me into the river from the bridge. Obviously I don't want to die :D
I was searching for this kind of effect, but I don't really know what I am looking for.
Is there similar illusion to this one? And what's the name of the illusion, and where can I get one?

Assistant push you into a river in a box... Then? You appear from where?

Mar 18, 2012
An "easy" way to approach the problem is to look at it like it is one of the effects that you already do now. Then, figure out a way to scale up the method to fit the props (i.e.: you, the box, the girl, and the river). How soon do you need a solution to the problem?

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
An "easy" way to approach the problem is to look at it like it is one of the effects that you already do now. Then, figure out a way to scale up the method to fit the props (i.e.: you, the box, the girl, and the river). How soon do you need a solution to the problem?

Would be great if I could make it till January. Thanks for advise, but I have never done anything like that, so I don't have the effects that I already know...

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm not clear on the effect that you want to achieve. You get in a box, possibly locked up. The box is thrown into the river. Are you planning on escaping from the box? Are you planning on vanishing from the box? I think you have explained what the begining is but I don't know what you want the end to be.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I'm not clear on the effect that you want to achieve. You get in a box, possibly locked up. The box is thrown into the river. Are you planning on escaping from the box? Are you planning on vanishing from the box? I think you have explained what the begining is but I don't know what you want the end to be.

This is end. Everybody thinks that I am dead, I am not going to appear. Maybe I will, but not in that day.
So everything I need is that everyone thinks that I am in the box, but I am not. And then my assistants push me into the river from bridge.

Jul 30, 2015
This is end. Everybody thinks that I am dead, I am not going to appear. Maybe I will, but not in that day. So everything I need is that everyone thinks that I am in the box, but I am not. And then my assistants push me into the river from bridge.

If you are not in the box (which is pushed into the river), then your assistants don't push you into the river. If you want to step out of a box and then have your assistants push you into the river, you shouldn't have trouble figuring out how to do that.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
I don't want to appear rude or arrogant, but i think you're underestimating the difficulty of a great illusion, you're also misunderstanding the MEANING of such an illusion.
With no further instructions, an effect like this is just "showing off".
You fit in the box, you get tossed into a river, everybody goes home. Where's the magic?
I'm also concerned about what the assistant is going to say to the audience, "That's it, folks! You can leave now"
Anyway, if you want to get an effect like this, an edited video will work just fine with less efforts..
If you want to perform magic, i suggest to clear your mind and to imagine something more appealing to the audience, not to yourself.
(Sorry for the upset tone)

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I don't want to appear rude or arrogant, but i think you're underestimating the difficulty of a great illusion, you're also misunderstanding the MEANING of such an illusion.
With no further instructions, an effect like this is just "showing off".
You fit in the box, you get tossed into a river, everybody goes home. Where's the magic?
I'm also concerned about what the assistant is going to say to the audience, "That's it, folks! You can leave now"
Anyway, if you want to get an effect like this, an edited video will work just fine with less efforts..
If you want to perform magic, i suggest to clear your mind and to imagine something more appealing to the audience, not to yourself.
(Sorry for the upset tone)

I see what you are saying. OK, I am gonna tell everything. I was making 365 days of magic. Where every day I post a magic trick video in my country. I know you are going to say that it is bad or something else, but it turned out quite well. And magic was very good. So in the last episode I am going to ask all my fans to join me on the last episode, and then I will say I am going into the box and I am going to appear on the ship or smth, then assistants push me into the river and that's it. I want them that incomprehension, that maybe it is another magic trick, or it is not. But in next day I will film another video where I am totally alive. That is gonna be my appearance.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
the 365 days of magic is a cool idea.
the appear on another day not that much, in my opinion.. just for the fact that you are building a climax that goes nowhere since you are not going to appear. Not to mention that the incomprehension is a bit too much, you break the consequentiality of a magic illusion!
it's like seeing a movie where you discover the killer the day after, if you come to the cinema ^^
Do the whole magic in a big finale, that's more appealing to me. Just my two cents

Nov 25, 2015
N Ft myers FL
my concern for the trick would be, if your not seeing the appear right after the vanish, it being a video removes all speculation or suspense, because it doesn need to be one take, alls the video has to do is start with the appear, and and so the vanish is never really tangible.

Reactions: DarellChristensen
Nov 27, 2015
my concern for the trick would be, if your not seeing the appear right after the vanish, it being a video removes all speculation or suspense, because it doesn need to be one take, alls the video has to do is start with the appear, and and so the vanish is never really tangible.
Yes, I agree with opticalshadow.

Oct 19, 2015
I think doing 'that trick' on video would not be a magic trick, it would be a camera trick (even if factually you do not use editing to do the trick). Doing tricks on video's always lead the audience to suspect a camera stunt. The more unbelievable it is, the more likely the audience will believe it is a camera trick.

At least that is my cents worth....!

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I think doing 'that trick' on video would not be a magic trick, it would be a camera trick (even if factually you do not use editing to do the trick). Doing tricks on video's always lead the audience to suspect a camera stunt. The more unbelievable it is, the more likely the audience will believe it is a camera trick.

At least that is my cents worth....!
But there will be live audience, and I am going to film them too. So at the end nobody knows what happened, maybe that was just a trick that went horribly wrong. Nobody knows, except you guys. I don't want them to think that it was just a trick, because that will be the last episode...so everything ends after that.

Nov 25, 2015
N Ft myers FL
I am all for shock shows i am, and tricking the audience momentarily by making them uncertain if something has just gone wrong, blurring the lines between where the trick actually starts, is amazing. i am concerned that by dumping the box in the river with no reappear and no cant possibly be there mutes it.
Either people do think it went really really wrong, and someone calls the authorities, or they just know its a trick, but without the reveal its like a joke with no punch line. I get you want them to not know what happened, but they do. an thats the problem, either the cops come, or it was all just a trick, theres no middle ground ina trick like this. thats my fear for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results