Saturday Night Contest - The Force Awakens!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend! I think everyone knows that the most anticipated movie of the year has finally been released - Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens! Our good friend JJ Abrams directed the film, and we could not be more thrilled about its release. A lot of you may know JJ through our projects with his company Bad Robot; the Mystery Box and the Mystery Box Playing Cards. $1 per deck helps benefit 826 National, a remarkable non-profit organization dedicated to promoting creative writing in schools and workshops around the United States.

With the release of Star Wars this weekend, we felt that it would be the perfect opportunity to create and share some magic dedicated to the film a lot of us grew up on.

The challenge this week is to create or perform an existing effect with a Star Wars twist. Our forum moderator Justin Morris shared this video and it is a good starting point to see where you can take your ideas and presentation. You can "use the force" and make an object levitate or move on its own. You can draw a lightsaber on a playing card and make it magically activate or change color. Anything you can relate to Star Wars (even just the presentation or wardrobe) is fair game for this contest.

Upload your your performance to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 7:30pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, December 20th. Once time is up, our panel will decide on a winner based on the following criteria.

We are looking for originality, creativity, and execution. The more original and creative your idea is, the better. We are also wanting a performance without flashes, so execution is important!

What can you win this week? 1,000 Elite Member Points, 6 Deck of Mystery Box Playing Cards (Black or Red) and 6 spins on the Holiday Wheel, completely on the house.

We can't wait to see what you guys can create around this theme. Let the force awaken!

Dec 30, 2014
I've finally finished my entry now time to render and upload :) it took me about a total of 2 - 3 hours to make but hopefully it will be worth it.

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
I am of the 1% population that has never seen a star wars film
Me too LOL but I'm definitely going to watch this one, I predict that this SNC would be a star wars theme yesterday and I told one of my friends :cool::cool::cool: .... Here is an Instagram video posted 2 day ago for this theme by the awesome magician Sebastian Castañeda (THIS IS NOT MY ENTRY) just a good example.
https://www.instagram.com/p/_afQuPG_2r/

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Have you tried sticking that letter in the freezer for a few minutes? The list will probably look really funky.

Haha totally. One year for our students Christmas Banquet (frosty the snowman theme) I wrote on all the tickets and erased them. Then when they bought tickets for the play they were instructed to put them in the freezer to reveal if they won a prize or not. It was a blast for people

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results