CENTER DEAL, finally nailed it!! (Video)

Jan 9, 2014
I was so glad that I made the video instantly :D

Gonna practise a lot more and make it much better. Been working on the center deal on and off for about a half year or so. Got a family and kids now, so don't have as much time when you don't work as a magician you know.

Anyways here it is:

I already improved since this video, now there's no knuckle flash from the angles i show in the video + the right side angle looks a lot better. Will be posting a better one soon.

Greetings from sweden!!!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Wow that is impressive. I've been working on one of the middle deals in Expert Card Technique but it's not very smooth so far. It looks like you are using a a Marlo technique is that correct?

Jan 9, 2014
Wow that is impressive. I've been working on one of the middle deals in Expert Card Technique but it's not very smooth so far. It looks like you are using a a Marlo technique is that correct?
i don't know actually. i came up with this when playing around with the cards. i came up with 4-5 different versions of center dealing, but none of them were as simple and fluid as this, so i think im gonna stick with this one.

if you're interested in the technique i might publish it for you in the wire maybe. unfortunately i dont have enough time or money to look into sources on center dealing, since i got kids and wife, still studying (i'm 22) and got a house with a loan.... all the practise i do is basically when my baby boy is asleep at night or when he wakes up at night and i have to sit there with him haha.

or send me a pm and i will give you some details.

Thanks for your answer and best regards from Sweden!

Jan 9, 2014
This deal is described in "The Art of Bottom Dealing" by Gene Maze.

Thank you mclintock and thank you Joey144 for comments.

I have a question for you joey144, i hope you can answer it for me. I actually own one video of a center deal. It is called "darwin ortiz - card cheating" or similar. I always thought that he (darwin) did the gene maze center deal and that gene maze used an opening in front of the deck (which is very visible in the "gambling-video"). I think (if i figured it out correctly) that the gene maze center deal used a break with the pointerfinger in the front of the deck. Is that correct?

I only hold the center cards with the pinky, and it's not a break, it is just for supporting the center cards. there is no opening in the front.

I hope you understand my bad english and can ellaborate a little on this very interesting topic.

I do not own the gene maze book unfortunately, i only read some about the center deal and saw it on darwins video.

I hope that this is the same as gene maze's deal, then i will buy that book when i can afford so i can learn more and maybe something new on this deal, i heard he was a great card man.

Greetings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Josh Burch
Jan 9, 2014
oh one thing aswell mclintock:

it was wrong of me to say playing around with the cards, it was more like "trying to come up with different methods of center dealing".

i tried almost everything i could come up with, but this is the one i managed to get really fluid and OK from all the angles above.

i hope you understand what i meant :D

Jan 9, 2014
the thing where i cut and achieve the break, that is one thing i saw on antonio zuccaros center deal, that is one i admire, however his looks different than mine, from what i analyze from his videos. i have talked to him on facebook, he is a very nice guy, unfortunately i couldn't afford his book on the center deal, but i liked his video preview and that inspired me to cut the cards in that manner and achieve the break.

i really love this stuff where you get to experiment with the cards, it's so much fun to come up with ways of solving a certain problem:D

Nov 30, 2013
Bit of a flash, when you tilt the deck up you can we the side jogged cards, but thats really if your being nit picky. Otherwise good job

Reactions: swedishcardguy

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
While the grip is a "modified Erdnase" grip similar to the one Gene Maze used, the basic idea here is Jim Cooper's. Jim was the first to use the idea of a side-jogged card in the middle of the deck* to facilitate a center deal. Martin Nash then took Jim's idea and refined it. The technique is most commonly associated with Nash, but Martin always gave Jim Cooper credit if the subject came up.

Jason

PS: You do the move well - a bit more care in respect to your angles and a little more speed and it would be nearly invisible. Good job.

*Paul Le Paul had used the idea of side-jogging a card in preparation for a bottom deal before, but not a center.

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks a lot guys. Nice of you Jason to give some info, I will look it up and see if i can learn anything.

Still practicing this move, and as JasonEngland says, when you add timing and speed it starts looking a bit sweeter :)

Reactions: Martin Eret
Feb 8, 2016
Wow, this is a very great example of this difficult move. Congrats, seriously you should be proud of your hard work.

Good job!

Mar 8, 2016
I say if you're dealing cards and the deck is bent off to the side the people you're dealing to will notice.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results