Saturday Night Contest - Falling In Love

becconcepts

Elite Member
Dec 14, 2014
Back in the 70's, when I was a kid, my first fascination with magic was a variety show that featured different types of magic. I remember the trick of making a coin appear from behind someone's head. My top priority was to put a magic kit in my Christmas list.

Feb 18, 2015
My grandpa, who recently passed away, showed me a coin trick where he pulled 4 coins out of his ear, and then pulled a sponge ball out of my ear, and finally, a sharpie. When I was watching T.V at my grandma's friends house(we don't have a T.V) I saw the master magician Michael Vincent on Penn and Teller too like someone said before. Then, on my birthday, I got to see a magician from the Magic Castle perform, and I was inspired. I got S.W Erdnase's Expert at The Card Table for my birthday then. I learned SO MUCH from there on. I mastered the double lift, perfect anti-farro, anaconda dribble, double curly Q and SO MUCH MORE. Then, I found theory11 :).

Dec 11, 2015
I start performing magic at 7 years old but it was the magic for the kids. I did more funny show than magic. Then, I let my talent of magician during 9 years. When I was in holiday a friend did me a magic trick and I wanted to know how he did the trick. Why not become magician and not spectator of magic ? Then, I decided to start again magic and I trained me with little magic tricks with no really sleight of hand. And with the passion of doing this, I wanted to saw some tricks of famous magicians like David Blaine (it was the only magician I knew when I started) and I really fall in love when I saw him performing insane magic. So I decided to train me all day during 2 years.

Last year, I saw a video where people was manipulating cards so I wanted to see how they do that, what was the name of this art and I start learning cardistry but it's more difficult for me to improve my level at cardistry.

I shared this passion of magic and cardistry to everyone, and for my birthday, my girlfriend offered me as a present two tickets to see Eric Antoine (famous french magician) with her, I was so happy to see him performing magic in front of me and not behind a computer or a television. So from now I perform magic everywhere I go.

MagicRoutine

Jul 3, 2014
When I was in elementary school 10 years or so ago, I had a book fair and couldn't figure out what book to get. One of the ladies who was helping out tried to help me find a book but I couldn't figure out what to get still. Not much of a reader. Haha. I finally picked out a book on magic, it was an old book, I still look at it for giggles. It wasn't anything that most people would know of, it had like 10 easy tricks, how to false overhand shuffle, and a stack. Nothing amazing. It got me hooked. Since than I have devoted my time to learning new things. For a while I didn't use any outside resources. I used that book for a bit and that was it. No other books (no way), no Internet ( it was the mid-2000s, and I was a kid), no TV (didn't have it), so basically I am entirely self taught. Even now, I don't get many books (I have some), I hardly use the Internet (no Youtube because I am against it, and I sometimes get stuff off of Theory11 and like places), and I still don't have TV. I have learned a lot from myself, and slowly started getting away from it until a few years ago when I received a scholarship from Theory11 to go to Tannen's Magic Camp. It was a great experience and it kind of relit a spark of mine. I received much praise from fellow campers and counselors for how my technique for card handling and sleights. Apparently my pass is quite a piece of art. Haha. So yea. And since than I have been a little in and out, I still mostly teach myself things, and having left for college, I sometimes struggle to find time, but I enjoy showing other people my stuff.

P.S. Don't show your Sergeant Major magic tricks unless you surely know what you're doing.....

Juai

Elite Member
Sep 3, 2013
I fell in love with magic when I was 8 years old. My cousin showed me a simple trick where she figured out which cards had switched places from two rows, very simple idea but it blew my mind. After this I wanted learn how to create the sensation I felt that moment on other people. I didn't know how to browse the internet back then, I started with magic books for kids, after a while I didn't know where else to look for magic besides that book that wasn't enough for me. I used to think you could fin material because it was secret or something. I then found some friends that knew a few tricks, they taught me some and I didn't stop thinking about the others until I figured them out. Time passed and I finally looked up magic on the internet, I could stop watching videos, they were amazing for me. I started making magician friends who knew about more places to look for magic until I met a magic teacher. This event made my magic improve a lot, I learned that there where really good magic books that weren't focused to little kids with simple tricks, this was technique and how to present your magic. This made me love magic even more, up until this day the possibilities obtained by magic keep on amazing me.

rob_tabris

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2011
Hey guys...
I don't know if this does count, but I would have to say that one of the moments I fall in love with magic (again and again) is with an illusion by Jason Latimer... His "water control" (I don't really know the name of the effect) always blows my mind... I just love it... So great performance and so mystic about changing the natural state of water...

Good luck to everyone and have a great start of this new week...

Dec 6, 2015
Canada
For me, I think it was seeing the movie Now You See Me that gave me the spark. The way the horsemen seemed to put so many skills together in such a creative way - physical prowess, engineering and planning skills, a knack for performing, all for the simple purpose of bringing wonder to an audience just clicked with me. I'd always had a hard time finding a particular hobby I enjoyed most, or a talent I could call my favourite - with magic, I immediately saw that I'd be able to put everything I loved into one.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys, time is up! We enjoyed reading everyone's responses, and have chosen two members at random to take home this week's prize. Congrats to sherl and TylerScottIllusionist for being this week's winners! Please contact our support team with your details to claim your prize.

With that said, on behalf of everyone here at theory11, we love having the best community and the best support around! We've got a lot of great stuff cookin' up; we can't wait to share with all of you!

Reactions: Martin Eret

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
Sherl won O__O I was chatting with him yesterday and he said "I will never win a random SNC" Congratulations man you finally did it my friend. ;)
Congrats to both of the winners.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results