Card Care

KillerCanadian

Elite Member
Aug 10, 2015
Hi I recently Bought 12 white and gold monarchs (love them) and I took a deck to school with me and kept them in my pocket and now a few cards are bent slightly and wont rework back.. I've left them in their box with some weight on them for about a week and a half and they still haven't fix themselves even a little bit! so how can I fix them and also how can i prevent them from bending in my pocket at school. (I've been thinking about getting a vice and putting the cards in there with wood on each side to provide pressure evenly). Anything helps, thanks

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Like Brett said. Riffle shuffle, spring, dribble, faro, lepaul... break them in. The cards are bent because tension built up in them due to a mix of non uniform use, temperature and humidity. If you break them in more you will release some of that tension. The cards won't be totally flat, but they'll be workable.

To prevent the warping I do two things:
1. carry them in clip when not in use, even in your bag. Porper is the best. And it helps keep the box mint, just be careful when getting them out of the clip to not tear the box
2. when using them, always try to apply the same stress uniformly. If you spring one side N times, spring them on the other side N times. And faro them between springs; cards at the top and bottom are not stressed by the same amount. Pressure fans are hard on the cards, so be sure to redo it in all 4 sides/directions or you'll end up with creases in your cards.

Follow these guidelines and your brick will last a lifetime.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Like Brett said. Riffle shuffle, spring, dribble, faro, lepaul... break them in. The cards are bent because tension built up in them due to a mix of non uniform use, temperature and humidity. If you break them in more you will release some of that tension. The cards won't be totally flat, but they'll be workable.

To prevent the warping I do two things:
1. carry them in clip when not in use, even in your bag. Porper is the best. And it helps keep the box mint, just be careful when getting them out of the clip to not tear the box
2. when using them, always try to apply the same stress uniformly. If you spring one side N times, spring them on the other side N times. And faro them between springs; cards at the top and bottom are not stressed by the same amount. Pressure fans are hard on the cards, so be sure to redo it in all 4 sides/directions or you'll end up with creases in your cards.

Follow these guidelines and your brick will last a lifetime.

This!

And for the record. You either go Porper, or go home.

Nov 27, 2015
One tip: Never carry decks in your trouser pocket. That is where they bend most, as you walk around.
If I'm only carrying one deck around, I put it in my chest pocket. Less chance of bending the cards then.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
One tip: Never carry decks in your trouser pocket. That is where they bend most, as you walk around.
If I'm only carrying one deck around, I put it in my chest pocket. Less chance of bending the cards then.

This is the best part about having a Porper clip. If your deck is in a Porper clip, you can carry it in your trouser pocket without worrying about it bending or warping. This is the primary reason I use one.

// L

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
This is the best part about having a Porper clip. If your deck is in a Porper clip, you can carry it in your trouser pocket without worrying about it bending or warping. This is the primary reason I use one.

// L

I never bought a porper clip I don't go out much to warrant buying one. I once saw that D&D had an Ostrich one for about a couple of hundred dollars. I might get one though for the times I do go out. Any recommendations Lyle?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I never bought a porper clip I don't go out much to warrant buying one. I once saw that D&D had an Ostrich one for about a couple of hundred dollars. I might get one though for the times I do go out. Any recommendations Lyle?

Unless you are DYING to have something fancy, like Ostrich leather (which does absolutely nothing for your cards, it is only there for looks), just get a plain Porper clip. I own two of the "Classic" clips, ones that don't have the fancy bent spine. They work great. Plain black and aluminum finish. I think they were $35 ea or something similar when I bought them. I have used them for years. There is no reason at all to spend $100+ on a clip.

I don't have a good source for them these days, as I have not had to purchase one in years, but do some Google to find a purchase location. I just found a few straight from the man himself, Joe Porper, at http://illusion.works/shop/. There is a $40 black clip near the bottom. That will be as high quality as they come, and will be everything you need.

Beware of eBay, where you may find super cheap knockoffs that won't perform well. I've had other card clips from other magic companies, and nothing else I have tried performs as well as legit Porper-made clips.

// L

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results