Bottom Dealing

Jan 17, 2015
Got 2 questions:

1) What are good sources in learning the bottom deal?

2) How do I get my ring finger to buckle and yank the bottom card out as described in Erdnase? I can't buckle, the whole deck will just slide away and if I increase the grip with my middle finger it will just cause the bottom card to be immovable.

Thanks

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I got this Brett.

1)Jason Englands tutorial
2)Richard Turners Best of the Bottoms
3)Gambling Protection Series Steve Forte (I always pop in this DVD when I need inspiration for my Up The Ladder Cuts)
4)Gene Maze The Art of Bottom Dealing (I have never looked at this book)
5)Card College Volume 4
6) Lets not forget the most important source and the bottom deal that I use currently straight out of The Expert at the Card Table by SW. Erdnase.
7)Revolutionary Card Technique(Seconds ,Centers, and Bottom) by Ed Marlo.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
1) Gab has more than covered it regarding sources (Sorry Brett :p )
2) It's a little knacky at first (but just a little). Use about half the deck, or slightly less, and apply a bit of pressure. Too much will cause your cards to slide out just as you described. Eventually you will become more comfortable with it.

I highly suggest Jason England's video on the bottom deal. He'll cover everything you need to know.

Jason England. With regards to your second question, apply a bit of pressure with your thumb and middle finger while retaining lower left hand corner of the deck towards your palm. Try buckling with your ring finger to the right or even downwards to loosen the bottom card.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
1) Gab has more than covered it regarding sources (Sorry Brett :p )
2) It's a little knacky at first (but just a little). Use about half the deck, or slightly less, and apply a bit of pressure. Too much will cause your cards to slide out just as you described. Eventually you will become more comfortable with it.

I highly suggest Jason England's video on the bottom deal. He'll cover everything you need to know.

It's all good. I read the thread and knew of one resource. I figured I'd throw my hat in. But I will admit, I'm a bit in a short supply of resources in general--especially table work. I'm actually surprised I remembered the one!

But Gabriel nailed it complely. Hats off to him!

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
you have to release some tension, the grip is not a firm grip, althought it may help in the first periods to develop a good form without worrying about anything else.
For me, it works better with a loose but still controlled grip, so the deck doesn't go anywhere, but i don't clutch it.

Also it has been suggested to practise with a full deck, and i'm partially agree with that;
for learning purpose i think it's also good to get in touch with the move, and use half the deck so you feel what a bottom should start to look like.

Anyway, there are people here who are awesome bottom dealers and can give you more valuable tips.
Follow the other thread on bottom dealing (i try to link it): https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/lost-with-the-bottom-deal.39703/

I'm sure a lot of people will tell you "it's a hard move, just pratice, it takes time etc." so i skip that part.
But it's true!

Apr 9, 2016
Lots of good sources listed here for sure, can't go wrong with any and all suggested so far.

Two thoughts that I think are very relevant and weren't mentioned though:

Jason England is of course incredible and a real modern cardistry master I've studied from relentlessly, admire to the ends of the Earth, and he always has something to add even if you already know a sleight or move. However, as you'll notice, his hands appear to be gigantic. For learning a bottom deal one may find Jason's tutelage a bit frustrating if first learning this move in particular simply because his hands are large and GE doesn't really address this. Definitely a must-view and learn, but...

Daniel Madison's handling and thoughts on the bottom deal were unmentioned. I REALLY like his handling, thoughts, and philosophy on the bottom/Greek deal, and grip in general.

In particular he addresses the grip in a slightly different fashion, and his specific attention to detail on how his approach avoids "knuckle flash" common with the bottom deal.

The DVD set "Mechanic" contains a section on the bottom deal and is a fantastic reference to add to your study materials to be sure.

You'll find Madison's approach on this is unique and very helpful in a broader sense. He also points out, importantly, that to perform these sleights, you will eventually make them your own; your own grip, your own subtleties, your own handling, without compromising the sleight.

Honestly, a bottom deal is a bottom deal, and Erdnase, Marlo, etc, are all amazing, but really use generally the same technique. I found Madison's adaptation and deviation from the norm on grip and technique VERY helpful, and apply directly to real world situations, and in a broader sense helpful with more than just the bottom/Greek deal.

Best of luck on your journey and keep at it, when you get it you'll nail it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results